Throttle Speed Control

• Bartman

I run a 2017 Ranger with a Suzuki 175 and Suzuki 9.9 kicker. The kicker is controlled with its own throttle, gear lever and tilt trim switch next to the driver’s seat just like the 175. I do a lot of trolling for walleyes with that kicker. My only complaint with this set up is speed control. Always messing with the throttle lever to maintain the proper speed. Are there any aftermarket gadgets available that I can install on the kicker to more precisely control the speed?? I had a Trollmaster on my old boat kicker and loved it. That motor was not connected to any other controls.

Adam Steffes

I wish you could control either engine to a target speed and have it adjust for load. The example I have is for pulling skiers or tubes and you just want to go 2800 rpm the whole time just above the planing speed and you don’t want to have to manipulate the throttle the whole time when the load changes or you hit rougher water or you turn or etc etc etc. I would like to be able to switch between modes and use the same controls as the input. No need for extra dials and buttons, just a mode switch between power based throttle and speed based. Manufacturers need to put this feature in all electronic throttle engines.

Karry Kyllo

I run a 2017 Ranger with a Suzuki 175 and Suzuki 9.9 kicker. The kicker is controlled with its own throttle, gear lever and tilt trim switch next to the driver’s seat just like the 175. I do a lot of trolling for walleyes with that kicker. My only complaint with this set up is speed control. Always messing with the throttle lever to maintain the proper speed. Are there any aftermarket gadgets available that I can install on the kicker to more precisely control the speed?? I had a Trollmaster on my old boat kicker and loved it. That motor was not connected to any other controls.

You can still use a TrollMaster or an iTroll on a motor with remote controls. I’ve been using a TrollMaster on my 9.9 Pro Kicker with remote controls like you have on your Suzuki for 10 years. I can understand why you get tired of adjusting speed with the throttle handle. I troll alot too and I wouldn’t be without some sort of speed control.

grizzly
    nebraska

I like my I-troll

Bartman

Thanks KK….didn’t know you could put a Trollmaster on a kicker connected to other controls. Looking for one on the internet as we speak.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I ran the itroll on my last boat with the Yamaha 9.9 kicker and it was awesome and worked flawlessly the entire time I owned it.

I will be ordering it here shortly so I have it for my new boat as well.

I really like the hunt feature it has. I can set it up to automatically increase and decrease throttle to desired ranges instead of having to do S turns. You can literally control it to the 10th of a percent on control if you want by the adjustable knob.

Super easy to install as well. Going to look into it for my old mans new 15hp efi when he gets its here in the next month or so.

And yes mine will be going on a remote kicker not a tiller handle contolled kicker. You basically put it in gear as normal. There is a servo you connect to the kicker to the throttle linkage. That servo now controls the throttle and not the actual throttle cable. You can still use the remote throttle if you choose though. Its very easy to install and having both options of controll at the same time is nice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.