Thoughts on New SUV’s

• nord

B-man, is that the Urban Grey? My wife is getting a CRV Hybrid in that color. Your wife made a good choice.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You will be happy with the purchase, one of the most reliable vehicles on the road!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Cant go wrong with a honda! Looks sweet!

Do you want to send him the official “It’s Not A Real Truck” bumper sticker, or should I? May as well get out ahead of it.

Nice looking SUV and there aren’t many unhappy Honda owners out there.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>
    Cant go wrong with a honda! Looks sweet!

Do you want to send him the official “It’s Not A Real Truck” bumper sticker, or should I? May as well get out ahead of it.

Nice looking SUV and there aren’t many unhappy Honda owners out there.

I get that comment at a lot of gas stations jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I get that comment at a lot of gas stations

Look, I feel kinda bad about putting the sticker on your… your… I can’t quite make myself say it…your vehicle…

Coletrain27

Who would call it a truck? It don’t even have a bed ???

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Who would call it a truck? It don’t even have a bed ???

Hes referring to a ridgeline. I recently posted on a different thread I bought one and guys really let you know how they feel about it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Hes referring to a ridgeline. I recently posted on a different thread I bought one and guys really let you know how they feel about it.

Haha sad I missed that lol. I have a buddy who has a Ridgeline, and apparently there is Ridgeline Fan group on FB all about doing truck stuff with their Not A Real Truck, trucks. My buddy posted a pic of his Ridgeline loaded up with dead deer and got a lot of hate from fellow Ridgeline owners, so even they acknowledge it’s somewhat limited in what it *should* be used for regarding “truckiness” rotflol

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My buddy posted a pic of his Ridgeline loaded up with dead deer and got a lot of hate from fellow Ridgeline owners

What would the point of owning a truck bed be if you weren’t going to put something dead in there?

tswoboda

What would the point of owning a truck bed be if you weren’t going to put something dead in there?

Mushrooms, berries, and grasses – ya know, the stuff Ridgeline owners eat – can get a little dirty too.

(THIS IS A JOKE, RIDGELINES ARE GREAT)

nord

I wonder, what is a real truck?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Haha sad I missed that lol. I have a buddy who has a Ridgeline, and apparently there is Ridgeline Fan group on FB all about doing truck stuff with their Not A Real Truck, trucks. My buddy posted a pic of his Ridgeline loaded up with dead deer and got a lot of hate from fellow Ridgeline owners, so even they acknowledge it’s somewhat limited in what it *should* be used for regarding “truckiness” rotflol

After I arrow a couple I should post some pics on that page woot

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Mushrooms, berries, and grasses – ya know, the stuff Ridgeline owners eat – can get a little dirty too.

(THIS IS A JOKE, RIDGELINES ARE GREAT)

Don’t forget granola, rescue puppies and everything else is gluten-free non-gmo certified organic… rotflol

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Ahhhhh Honda Ridgelines – AKA The “Caitlyn Jenner” of Automobiles

B-man

I wonder, what is a real truck?

Something that is legally capable of pulling three times its own weight around waytogo

The rest are just grocery getting boat tuggers mrgreen

Sharon
    SE Metro

Ahhhhh Honda Ridgelines – AKA The “Caitlyn Jenner” of Automobiles

jester rotflol jester

MX1825

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Good one bucky!!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

You guys forgot the I brake for squirrels sticker!

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I am in the exact same position, hoping to pull the trigger in a couple weeks. I have looked at the volvo, subaru, 4 runner, pilot, pathfinder, and kia. I was almost ready to put a deposit on the pilot but then I learned about the tellurides and started reading reviews. I was dealing with the same “no kia” vibe from the wife. I like the telluride specs better on paper and once I drove one and messed with it I was sold. The car is marginally smaller on the outside but has more interior space, and the little features are waaaaay beyond the pilot for the price. I personally don’t care, but for the wife every beeping/camera/lane assist thing is invaluable and the interior is just amazing. I am also leery of any first production year, which the 23 pilot is (I would not have bought the older style pilot for seat size/folding reasons). We are also people who keep cars forever and the kia warranty is insane. She gets back from Chile in a week and we will go drive the telluride – I expect that will be the end of it.

B-man

B-man, is that the Urban Grey? My wife is getting a CRV Hybrid in that color. Your wife made a good choice.

I’m not sure of the name, but it’s some sort of flat gray without glitter.

That showroom picture makes it look a little blue to me, but she said it’s grey in person.

shale
    Stillwater, MN

Hey guys, the FW is getting a new ride this year. Her 2014 RT Caravan has been an incredibly reliable ride for the last 185,000 (and still going).

She is finishing up her master’s degree and I told her she could get anything she wants for all of her hard work.

We’re open to ideas, and she wants a mid-size SUV. Right now she’s interested in the VW Atlas and the Toyota 4-runner. She also likes Jeeps but I’m only lukewarm on that idea.

I see the Atlas is slightly bigger, is AWD instead of 4wd, and is made in the US. The 4-runner is 4wd and made in Japan.

The Atlas has a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty, the 4runner has a 3 year 36,000.

She had a VW Tiguan before the minivan and we had zero issues with it in the 2-3 years we had it.

What else should we be looking at?

It will be pretty much strictly a commuter/daily driver with no towing anticipated.

I’d recommend putting liability insurance on the 2014 RT Caravan and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Invest the $40,000 & $100/month full coverage insurance that would be paying for a new car in a S&P 500 index fund, then let it cook for 10 years.

In my opinion, that’s how you get ahead.

B-man

Shale, I can’t disagree (to a point). Saving and investing are extremely important (we do both and are “getting ahead” every day by living below our means, and always will)

That said, the Grand Caravan has been paid off for several years and she has worked her ass off for a new car. I told her a few years ago that if she ever makes more money than me she can get anything she wants, and I’m a man of my word waytogo

That day is coming to fruition and I’m more proud of her than words can describe. If we wanted to, we could pay off her new car tomorrow…to me that’s “ahead.”

Could we likely get a few more troublesome years out of the van? Probably . But we’re statically not going to get another 5 years and add a 100,000 more miles without something major happening. Let alone a full decade.

It’s time for a new car for her.

But if you’re interested in a 2014 R/T Grand Caravan, white with blacked out rims, pushing 190,000 miles, leather and heated seats, with some complimentary hidden gummy bears and Cheetos, and some rust starting to show up, lemme know. We’re going to post it on marketplace for $7,000 obo and go from there.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230417-2250502-1.png

2. Screenshot_20230417-2250502.png

Stanley

B-man I’m not saying you should keep the van but we do body work for a transport company that runs caravans and I regularly see them with 3-400k on them so getting another 100k out of yours would be possible. Or at least a good selling point for the next owner.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like the telluride specs better on paper and once I drove one and messed with it I was sold. The car is marginally smaller on the outside but has more interior space, and the little features are waaaaay beyond the pilot for the price.

Check out the Palisade’s as well, very similar to the Telluride, great warranty and a lot more availability and was about $10k less for similar models last year when we were shopping.

Viewing 25 posts - 61 through 85 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.