Thorne Bros. Portable Ice Shack Modification Get-together

• trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

I attended the 11th annual ice shack modification get-together at Thorne Bros. This is some of the cool things I saw:
    Otter has a new single man shack called the XT Hideout. Being a big guy, with wide shoulders, I was skeptical. However, this shack looks to be made for guys like me. The way the sled is designed gives you more space to put your heater and space to use those 30″+ rods. The mesh seat was comfortable and, when not in use, breaks down into two pieces. The frame doesn’t use sliding poles but top of the frame doesn’t go past the end of the sled when folded. Also, the tent has a patent pending design where the thermal fabric isn’t sown into the outside fabric. This adds a space between the layers for more insulation. The shack works as a dark house because the thermal material isn’t sown into the outer fabric. And, the chance of leakage is reduced. Retail price is $499.

Clam has come out with a new jig called the Drop Kick. Made of Tungsten, the jig should drop through the water column quicker (as all Tungsten tackle should). Dave Genz had a seminar about the Drop Kick. If you missed the seminar, check out the 2015-2016 Ice Annual for Mr. Genz’s article on the new jig.

The inventiveness of ice fishermen constantly surprises me. The one shack that made an impression on me was the person who had their shack very tidy and organized. I have posted pictures below. I don’t know if this person won but it was getting a lot of positive feedback from the crowd.

One other person had his shack decked out with USB connections, lights, cameras, rod holders, and a place that held his iPad. I have those on the bottom as well.

As always, the folks at Thorne Bros. put on a great event. The vendors were excited about their products and about this season in general.

If you haven’t been to this get-together look for it next September.

Mike

Attachments:
    1. High_Tech_iPad.jpg

2. High_Tech-front.jpg

3. High_Tech_Console.jpg

4. Tidy_Shack_Left.jpg

5. Tidy_Shack_Right.jpg

6. Tidy_Shack_Full.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.