This is a bad idea, right? Winter on Pool 2

• pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I’m working on building a portage cart for my 14-ft Alumacraft (BWCA trip this summer). Yesterday afternoon I was trekking from Hidden Falls to the open water up toward the Ford Dam, and it occurred to me that the path was plenty wide to accommodate a 1448. It would definitely be feasible for two guys to get a small boat back in there. I’m not sure if it’d be worth it for that limited amount of available open water, or if the fish even hang out up there in the dead of winter. But the idea has piqued my interest.

Safety would be my biggest concern. Locked in by a dam to the north and ice to the southeast. If things went bad, rescue would seem unlikely.

If anyone is curious as to what the heck this would look like, think a slightly smaller scale than this:

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The fish are there. Jig and minnow or plastics really sllllooooowwwww.

Keep an anchor handy and be ready to throw if you have problems. If you have a trolling motor and main motor you’re ok. Would be easy to launch in that eddy up there. Right where the trail ends it’s a little steep though.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve done alot of $hit to fish open water in winter, what you’re proposing I wouldn’t. Not bc of any posing danger, just that’s alot of work for all small males you release anyways.

There’s red wing not that far away at all, and Monticello from shore can be great too.

If you end up going, shoot me a PM, id help pushing mrgreen

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

f you have a trolling motor and main motor you’re ok. Would be easy to launch in that eddy up there. Right where the trail ends it’s a little steep though.

Yes I’d be going with an old 6hp outboard but also a 50 lb thrust TM.

I’ve done alot of $hit to fish open water in winter, what you’re proposing I wouldn’t. Not bc of any posing danger, just that’s alot of work for all small males you release anyways.

There’s red wing not that far away at all, and Monticello from shore can be great too.

If you end up going, shoot me a PM, id help pushing mrgreen

I do realize there are other options out there. There’s something in me that relishes blazing my own trail and being literally the only boat out there. Yes, Red Wing and Montissippi are each only an hour from home, but Hidden Falls is exactly .8 miles from my doorstep.

I know it will be quite a while before the big girls start showing up that far up river, but even small males would be an improvement over my current situation.

Nick I’ll give you a holler if I work up the nerve to do this. I’m not there yet w/ my portage cart, needs work.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve slid smaller aluminums across the ice on Rainy a few times, really just depends if you think the juice is worth the squeeze!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d say 20% is for the fish….80% is just because you can.

I’m 5 miles from there and always open to a challenge. Would hate to outfish you and nick though….

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Might want to take a look at 494 landing. Very easy to get to open water there. just look at the 1st wingdam down river.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve pushed a 14’ jon over the ice to launch in open water on P2, but not at the dam. It’s harder than it sounds but I never felt like it was overly dangerous except when getting in the boat at the edge of the ice (you might be able to drive the boat onto the ice to get out – I did it but the ice edge was level with the water and the boat had a flat bottom). Be careful and post a report if you do it!

Edit: just thinking this through – there’s usually a lot of current up there even in low water. Be extra careful.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Matt, that ratio is about spot-on. And it doesn’t take much to out-fish me. You should set higher goals if you want any real sense of accomplishment out of the deal mrgreen

Mike W, thanks I will check out that area as well!

John — yes, even with the water way, way down it’s still pretty quick up there.

FWIW, there are a few spots upriver from Hidden Falls right now that wouldn’t even require contending with shoreline ice when loading in. In other areas, 5 minutes with a spud or something similar and you could be slipping directly into open water.

basseyes

There’s probably a law against it, might not be a bad idea to check with the local leo’s first.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think you’re right when you typed out the subject line. But I have very little experience in this area so…

But I do have a friend that runs a Nursing Home for the folks that have those “here, hold my beer” moments that don’t turn out well. Nice view of the river too if you can hold your head up to see it. )

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

There’s probably a law against it, might not be a bad idea to check with the local leo’s first.

Hmmm. I dunno about this one. Public park, public walking/biking trails directly to shore. People beach boats along that stretch all summer. Unless there is a very specific nanny state decree I don’t think I’d have any issues.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Did you want the nursing home phone number…I mean for your relatics to call and visit? ;)

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Just think how many things in this world would not be discovered if someone didn’t take some risk in exploring. Somebody has to be the first. Pool 2 has been measuring all the challenges, risks, rewards ratio. I say rather than poo-poo his idea, I say go for it.

Maybe he only catches small fish or worst case nothing at all. Sounds like he has enough planning to not die out there. More foolish endeavors occur daily with some folks driving heavy vehicles over unknown ice conditions. whistling

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! If you are speaking to me Andy, I’m just agreeing with him. But either way P2F doesn’t need my permission.

Did I ever tell you about the time I put my motorcycle through the ice on the Crow River?? crazy

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

This could start a great thread on everyone’s dumbest “hold my beer moment.”

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what does the boat have for a motor?

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Did you want the nursing home phone number…I mean for your relatics to call and visit? ;)

moon Honestly though, I appreciate the voice of reason BK. I asked the question expecting responses on both sides as always.

Did I ever tell you about the time I put my motorcycle through the ice on the Crow River??

Um, we’re waiting. . . coffee

So what does the boat have for a motor?

This adds to my hesitation. Very old Merc 6.6, but I would also have a 50lb trolling motor and of course a couple oars.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve got a Nissan 5hp that weighs about 40# with a built in gas tank. Easier to get there and reliable, just saying……

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I’ve got a Nissan 5hp that weighs about 40# with a built in gas tank. Easier to get there and reliable, just saying……

I might know a spot or two to drive that boat to and look for fish. Good chance we wont catch any small ones in case thats what you are looking for.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Did I ever tell you about the time I put my motorcycle through the ice on the Crow River??

BK,

Was somebody holding your beer for that moment?

Attachments:
    1. ugly.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Boat, motor and fishing spots. All that is needed is for someone to hold the beer.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

I might know a spot or two to drive that boat to and look for fish. Good chance we wont catch any small ones in case thats what you are looking for.

You both have my attention but I question the wisdom of loading this little beast up with 3 guys, even with minimal gear. With the size of fish Mike catches we’d have to unhook ’em over the side of the gunwhale to avoid the extra weight in the boat bow

Once I get the portage cart finished I will start watching the forecast for a pleasant day. End of next week and into the weekend looks decent but I’m not sure I’ll have time to get ready by then. I have the entire week of Jan 29 off work because my building at the U is being annexed by the NFL, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that weather will cooperate that week. New moon on Thurs 2/1. . .

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Have safety as the #1 concern and a plan and let someone not going know what your doing. With a trolling motor and and anchor you can limit the risk. Go for it. no great story ever started with: “so I took the safer path.”

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

At 494 we wouldnt even need a shuttle cart. Open water on that wingdam is pretty close. Good chance we wouldt be the first guys pushing a boat out there to.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

At 494 we wouldnt even need a shuttle cart. Open water on that wingdam is pretty close. Good chance we wouldt be the first guys pushing a boat out there to.

So this would involve pushing the boat a short distance on ice, from the ramp down to the first wingdam? It sounds doable and I’m sure the fishing is better down there. I’m just extremely leery of walking on ice up right up to the edge of open water. I have zero experience here, so probably a healthy dose of fear of the unknown in play.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve set tipups on the river no more than a foot from open water. Amazing how current seams setup those scenarios.

With that said, river ice can be sketchy as #$@*!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Would not recommend but if you do it I would have a wench or come along with me to get the boat back out. Seems like a heck alot of work, why I got a kayak whistling .

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Go for it. no great story ever started with: “so I took the safer path.”

With that said, river ice can be sketchy as #$@*!

Yeah I need to balance those two statements because both ring loud and clear to me.

Would not recommend but if you do it I would have a wench or come along with me to get the boat back out. Seems like a heck alot of work, why I got a kayak whistling .

Good suggestion on the winch. I personally would be more concerned about dumping a kayak in that cold water than I am about any element of the above scenarios.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Always a good idea to have a wench in the boat…..they can hold your beer.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.