Thinking of Buying Our Old Boat

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

My folks had a 1979 Starcraft 16′ Aluminum boat that we used for most of our childhood. Has a pretty reliable early 80’s Mariner 25hp tiller on the back, and I really enjoyed learning how to fish out of the thing. In high school, my brothers and I ripped out a bench, put in a floor, and added carpeted casting platforms along with a few hatches. It was a DIY job but it looks pretty good, and after years and years of very little use it’s up for sale. I’m thinking about buying it, but have no idea on what’s a fair price, and I thought I’d reach out to my fellow IDO’ers for an estimate on value? Any ideas?

Joel

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Let me know if you can put a dollar value on memories. grin It’s only money Joel, go for it. Remember, it’s better to ask forgiveness then permission.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Joel. I’ve seen a lot of similar rigs sold around here in the 1,200 to 2,300 range. Condition and electronics always a factor. FMV maybe 1,800ish. Most 16′ I see have a 35 or 40hp

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My folks had a 1979 Starcraft 16′ Aluminum boat that we used for most of our childhood. Has a pretty reliable early 80’s Mariner 25hp tiller on the back, and I really enjoyed learning how to fish out of the thing. In high school, my brothers and I ripped out a bench, put in a floor, and added carpeted casting platforms along with a few hatches. It was a DIY job but it looks pretty good, and after years and years of very little use it’s up for sale. I’m thinking about buying it, but have no idea on what’s a fair price, and I thought I’d reach out to my fellow IDO’ers for an estimate on value? Any ideas?

Joel

Joel

You have a lot of leverage to use during the price negotiations. Being that you’re world-renown bull in a china shop you get to play the “well, under normal circumstances your asking price would be fair… but I know the guy that owned it before you.” rotflol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Does your family still own it or are you buying the families old boat from a stranger? Or is it just the same exact model? I know you said “had” but just wanted to clarify that point.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If buying from Family, I’d say a couple free “guided” trips per year are fair. On the open market or from a family member you don’t enjoy fishing with, I’d say Randy has a good range suggestion! chased

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel Nelson wrote:</div>

Joel

Joel

You have a lot of leverage to use during the price negotiations. Being that you’re world-renown bull in a china shop you get to play the “well, under normal circumstances your asking price would be fair… but I know the guy that owned it before you.” rotflol

Everything I own better be tough or I’ll find a way to ruin it!

Joel

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Lol as a fellow bull in the china shop, I prefer the term “Customizing” to “ruining”. doah

wayne peterson
    Garrison, Mn

It sounds like the boat I picked up last year. ’73 alumicraft 16ft with a 25 evinrude. Has a platform with pedestal seat in front and swivel seat in the back. Older humminbird 565, Minolta 35lb. trolling motor
    Paid 1100.00. Thought that was pretty reasonable.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Not familiar with your particular StarCraft but I’ve always been impressed with the hulls I’ve seen around town. Seems quite a bit deeper and beefier than others.

With that said I’d pony up more for the boat in condition you described than your typical Lund or alumacraft of similar years. I’d think $1500 be good price, $1000 with family discount. Assuming no graphs & TM.

It sounds like the boat I picked up last year. ’73 alumicraft 16ft with a 25 evinrude. Has a platform with pedestal seat in front and swivel seat in the back. Older humminbird 565, Minolta 35lb. trolling motor
    Paid 1100.00. Thought that was pretty reasonable.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/equipment_1050299/

I think that’s a very good deal indeed!

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

Hey Joel, I mentioned this to my brother in law (Adam) and he wanted to know if this was the same boat you guys forgot to put the plug in at German Lake when you launched it several years ago. )

Kyra Barbee

Hi Joel- I have a 1979 sylvan boat that has a tm, finder, and 30 hp motor. Also came with an EZ trailer and paid about 2500 for it. Hopefully this helps some. also has a steering column.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Hey Joel, I mentioned this to my brother in law (Adam) and he wanted to know if this was the same boat you guys forgot to put the plug in at German Lake when you launched it several years ago. )

There’s been so many times I’ve forgotten the plug over the course of several boats, that the event in question escapes me at the moment. ) That said, I’m sure it happened, and if it’s like the other times, we probably put it on plane and let the water out, then found a rag, chunk of soft plastic, or other obstruction to put in there because we were driving full speed around the lake without being able to find the actual plug. )

Joel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.