They’re baaaaack…..

• Jimmy Jones

I was hoping this year’s hot, dry weather would stop the usual Japanese beetle forray, but nada. I’ll be spraying the beans, grapes, apple tree and asparagus plants tonight. I pulled off maybe 30 of the suckers in the beans, grapes and asparagus a few minutes ago, so I started a new can of used paint thinner to give them a bath in. Last year I went thru two large jugs of Sevin concentrate. I wonder how many I’ll have to use this year?

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

can’t stand those things. I’m seeing a few in my garden as well. I’ve always wondered if chickens could help, but they probably do more harm than good. I also thought about a free range chicken coop under my apple trees. if you bump the tree, they’d come raining down into to coop and hopefully be eaten… Good luck!

Coletrain27

I’ve noticed a lot of them around my yard in the last week also. They like the green bean leafs and cucumbers chased

wkw

We had them bad the last two years. Had a lawn service treat for grubs
    and I haven’t seen one since.

iowa_josh

I had a citronella candle that got left out and rained in and a bunch of them drowned in it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Had a lawn service treat for grubs
    and I haven’t seen one since.

I was told if you treat for grubs in the fall it will kill the eggs they lay in the ground. It seems to have helped.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I put down grub killer last Fall on the lawn. Too much area to cover it all without going broke.
    The JB’s showed up again in my apple trees over a week ago. Have sprayed them twice now with Seven. It slows em down but then it seems like a new hatch comes along. Spray and repeat I guess.
    I did notice the moles are gone in the part of the yard I put down grub killer. No grubs there so at least I got rid of them dam things…somewhat anyhow.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

they’re all over the golf course right now – well watered grass.
    there’s still none in my yard – brown dried-out dormant grass.

in the last 4-5 days we’ve got a ton of rain, so i expect they’ll be out in my yard soon going after my apple trees and raspberry bushes. the Sevin is ready. i like the idea of treating for grubs in the fall, i’ll try that under my apple trees this year.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I found the garden insect powder like Sevin works better than insecticide sprays because it sticks to the leaves and provides constant protection until a rain.

The damn Japanese beetles were all over Mrs Grouse’s rhododendron trees. The just showed up one day about 2 weeks ago. Out came the duster and I fixed their wagon.

LabDaddy1

Just hang Japanese beetle bags from the trees. Problem solved.

Jimmy Jones

And invite them from the neighbor’s place. I’ll spray. And spray.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

And deal with bags of dead, rotting beetles. I’ll spray. And spray.

Jimmy Jones

This dry weather allows the spray to stay put longer, thus less spraying is required.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

You need to hang the beetle bags in your neighbor’s yard. Probably don’t want to let them know though.

Umy
    South Metro

Treat the grubs-works. PHENOMENALLY well.
    Got one of the bags with the attractant. Almost 2” deep in the bottom in less than an hour an no more have been in my flowers since.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So far only a few seen here. I sprayed my garden and flowers down yesterday along with areas of the lawn that looked like something was going on below the surface.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

How often do you apply the spray. Seems after about 4 days they are back with a vengeance. I think the label says 7 days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.