They have come a long ways – Woman’s Basketball

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I will start by saying I am not the biggest follower or fan of Woman’s basketball. This year I’ve watched a few more games because of the whole Caitlin Clark chase of the all time college scoring record thing. Both of last nights games were Excellent. I was way excited to watch the Iowa Vs LSU game because of the ongoing battle between Clark and Reese. Both played a EXCELLENT game. Caitlin Clark sure does have some incredible range on those 3 pt. shots. I thought she made a few poor choices at times last nights, but I guess that’s just her style of play and what got them to this point, so who am I to question the decisions. I’m actually looking forward to watching the Final Four games on Friday. A little bit bummed that Iowa has to play Uconn as those are the 2 teams I like the best. Bummer they have to meet prior to the finals but that’s how it goes. How many here follow women’s basketball or watched last nights games?

CaptainMusky

I dont really follow it, but did take in the second half last night. Here is something I thought weird. I thought college basketball played two halves but noticed last night they were playing quarters. Am I wrong in that thinking?
    Clark is just next level. So fun to watch her.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Every long 3 she missed was a poor choice… the other poor choices went SWISH !!! My brother commented, if she only identified as a man, the Men’s Gopher team could have used her !!! Pretty impressive on both sides, the Reese girl is pretty good too. Loved the way Caitlin handled the win with grace… unlike last year when LSU won it… whistling Karma maybe. tongue

KP
    Hudson, WI

In Men’s they play 2 halves but for some reason they do 4 quarters in Women’s.

I also tuned in last night and watched the 4th quarter of the LSU and Iowa game. It’s amazing at how much the game has gotten better in Women’s basketball. Not trying to be sexist at all but I use to never want to watch the woman’s game because I thought it was slow paced and boring, Last nights game completely made me change my mind and will tune in for sure during the final 4.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Been watching Uconn since buckets went there. Bench is pretty short with all the injuries this season. Its really starting too show as they go deeper.
    I think Clark is the better shooter, Bueckers the better all around player but injury prone herself.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I also tuned in last night and watched the 4th quarter

Bummer. You missed some great basketball in the first 3 quarters.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KP wrote:</div>
    I also tuned in last night and watched the 4th quarter

Bummer. You missed some great basketball in the first 3 quarters.

Correct. First time I ever watched a women’s BB game start to finish. They were running !!! smash

Deuces

Having all daughters in sports I gravitate towards more women sports viewing than men’s, softball and basketball mainly. Good stuff.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Even the galsvat high school level have vastly improved.

Made me smile big time LSU got sent packing after the pregame BS reeves pulled

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You talking about them walking off the court prior to the National Anthem? If so you are correct – that was Total BS and the Coach’s excuse was total BS

Jimmy Jones

Even the galsvat high school level have vastly improved.

No schnit. I loved seeing her foul out and then that team sink.

slough

There is more playmaking in the women’s game, a little less one on one isolation and brute strength beating on each other in the post. Still prefer watching the men’s game but women’s has its advantages. What did Reece do before the game? She definitely seems like a prima donna and a bad teammate, but she is definitely physically gifted.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

You talking about them walking off the court prior to the National Anthem? If so you are correct – that was Total BS and the Coach’s excuse was total BS

Apparently LSU has been doing the same routine for awhile, including last years Natty, and as an FYI USC and UConn weren’t out for the anthem either… whistling whistling whistling

The women’s game is getting a ton better…and still largely terrible to watch imo.

dirtywater

What’s the phrase, speed kills? I acknowledge the tremendous skill gains being made in women’s sports but after a lifetime of watching men compete it’s just apples to oranges in terms of the speed of the game. I’m mostly speaking in terms of basketball and hockey here. I think softball can be just as entertaining as men’s baseball. Watching women’s hockey and hoops is still quite painful for me. And watching soccer played by anyone is painful.

orve4

LSU and Iowa play a fun version of basketball with some highly skilled Girls that are able to play that style. Last night felt like a national title game. Bueckers is fun to watch and definitely could play that style but with their injuries they slow down the pace. South Carolina and their style of play if slow you down and beat you to death with their inside game. I am not a big fan of SC or LSU head coach as they are more interested at the look here moments. They don’t even where logo’s during the game supporting their schools.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

no Reese had made motions and played games to get in Clarks
    head…….one was taking a crown and setting it on the chairs long the sideline!

that foul she committed that fouled her out…..she looked like a running back plowing into another player……..Iowa players where constantly picking themselves off the court because LSU players where being over aggressive!

Jimmy Jones

“LSU head coach as they are more interested at the look here moments.

Damn…. if that woman is using Oil Of Olay she should sue the company because it ain’t working on her. She’s got more wrinkles than a snow tire.

And Glenn… nothing that Reese did got in Clark’s head. LSU came into that game with a big head and Iowa came into the game with a solid game plan and a mission.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i agree Jimmy……. but thats the crap LSU does!!!!! personally as the game went on i think the LSU players where getting frustrated and went into thug mode……but that’s just me!!!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I will start by saying I am not the biggest follower or fan of Woman’s basketball. This year I’ve watched a few more games because of the whole Caitlin Clark chase of the all time college scoring record thing. Both of last nights games were Excellent. I was way excited to watch the Iowa Vs LSU game because of the ongoing battle between Clark and Reese. Both played a EXCELLENT game. Caitlin Clark sure does have some incredible range on those 3 pt. shots. I thought she made a few poor choices at times last nights, but I guess that’s just her style of play and what got them to this point, so who am I to question the decisions. I’m actually looking forward to watching the Final Four games on Friday. A little bit bummed that Iowa has to play Uconn as those are the 2 teams I like the best. Bummer they have to meet prior to the finals but that’s how it goes. How many here follow women’s basketball or watched last nights games?

No & No.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I watched both games. The skill level has improve so much in the last 10-15 years. Reese should have fouled out earlier as there were one or two that the refs didn’t call.
    Title IX was passed in 1972. My high school freshman year ’73-’74 was the first year my high school had a girl’s team. Most couldn’t run fast and dribble at the same time, let alone shoot a jump shot.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I live in Iowa, I have watched more WBB games then the men this year. Hoping to watch again Friday and the Championship game as well. The first WBB game I ever watched on TV was last seasons final 4 and Championship game. They are fun to watch!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The game set all kinds of ESPN records for viewership. The said 12.3 Million people watched the game. I believe it was the highest Women’s game every and one of the highest ever for college basketball overall.

JoeMX1825
    MN

funny how this very topic has popped up everywhere nationally…I agree with alot of replies that the Iowa vs LSU game was “different” from other woman’s basketball games (I watched the last 2 quarters) but they are also 2 of the very best teams college basketball has to offer, so sort of purple unicorns of the league…They would make a few bomb 3 pointers or impressive drives to the rim and score and make you say “Dang” but then a few minutes later you’d see the “Bennyhill Music” 5 attempted missed shots right under the hoop or missed layups and remember why you rarely watched it…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It sure has been pumped up lately. Cant imagine why.. We’ll see if it can sustain popularity.
    My guess is, no.

big_g
    Isle, MN

For those who are not impressed with the women’s play as of late… do you watch the men play, or maybe you don’t watch any BB ? That LSU vs Iowa game was far from boring or sloppy. IMHO

Netguy
    Minnetonka

For the 2 games on Monday they kept talking the players up, more so than some of the men’s games. I thought it was kind of sickening. That’s ESPN’s fault, not the players.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For the 2 games on Monday they kept talking the players up, more so than some of the men’s games. I thought it was kind of sickening. That’s ESPN’s fault, not the players.

Keep in mind. Those 2 games had some of the top players in all of women’s basketball in them. If you had 2 games back to back with the top men’s players in the country, I guessing they would have talked the players up just as much. Its just rare to have that many of the top overall players in the country playing in 2 games on the same night.

CaptainMusky

The reason for this is because the womens tourney has been much more intriguing and better than the mens.

orve4

The womens Game has what the Mens game use to have Kids staying in college for 4 years and fans getting to know them and follow them. Womens Basketball players like CC or Angel make more money by staying in college then they do in the WNBA. I enjoyed watching it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.