These guys were fishermen?

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Considering the Midwest has potentially hundreds of thousands of fisherman/hunter interactions yearly, one guy gets stabbed sucks and is a horrible ordeal, but not end of the world.

The sportsman community is doing just fine and bad apples in every group. waytogo

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Never should have happened. Never would have happened without an aggressor.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

So, they were fishermen. I’ve seen plenty of unsavory folks fishing. There are a-holes in every walk of life.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

So, they were fishermen. I’ve seen plenty of unsavory folks fishing. There are a-holes in every walk of life.

unfortunatly i have to agree. maybe its because i fish a lot in the metro but lately it seems like a majoity of the fisherman i run into id rather not have.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Unfortunately it seems these guys are media’s stereotype fishermen. That leaves it to us to change those perceptions. whistling

Also unfortunately it was the end of the world for one guy and a whole lot different world for his five kids.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I agree that it’s awful, and I feel for the victim’s family.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

It makes me reflect on myself. Road rage…Work situations…Fishing/hunting. We all get into altercations that may escalate into something ugly. My wife always tells me to just picture my kids and that alone should cool my jets. It does help…RR

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Very sad story. According to the article it looks like it didn’t have to happen.

The dispute began about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, when Kelly and another Polk County man who were fishing on the Minnesota shore began arguing with three men on the Wisconsin side. The argument escalated for hours until Kelly and the other man got into a vehicle and drove over the U.S. 8 bridge into Wisconsin to confront the other men, according to the sheriff’s office.

I’ve read enough stories to always wonder if it is an accurate portrait of what happened. But, if it is I sure wish they had not crossed the bridge.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

But, if it is I sure wish they had not crossed the bridge.

From the Star Trib
    http://www.startribune.com/local/east/300293681.html

Kelly’s brother, Michael Kelly, has said that the younger men were yelling profanities and slurs across the river. Michael Kelly said that his brother, crossing back to Wisconsin on his way home, stopped to ask the younger men to leave. The younger men were smoking marijuana, Michael Kelly said.

“He said, ‘You guys better knock it off. You’re going to say this to someone else, and it’s not going to be good. You can’t be swearing at people,’ ” Michael Kelly said. “Pete wasn’t a big fighter. He just wanted them to get off the river. He told them, ‘This isn’t the way you act. You need to get in the car and leave.’ ”

The men argued, Peter Kelly was stabbed, and the three younger men fled.

Hard to say what’s accurate and what really happened. Sounds like he was maybe trying to teach them how to “act in public.” Either way, it’s a sad story that didn’t have to happen.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Don’t confront people acting bad if they are not endangering you or those with you. Call the cops or just leave.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I’m sure glad I didn’t name any of my boys Levi. One of those infamous names teachers dread to see on their incoming classlist. ??? sad ???

Is it time to go home yet? I know a few spots to fish where there’s no other people. peace

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

After reading the link I still don’t know what naming your kid Levi has to do with anything.

Threads like this make me scratch my head every time. crazy

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

After reading the link I still don’t know what naming your kid Levi has to do with anything.

Threads like this make me scratch my head every time. crazy

Agree Dutch. I must be missing something, teachers dread seeing the name Levi?

Like Suzuki said, leave it to the authorities. You would think after loading up the boat and stuff it would be off your mind enough to just move on.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A sound byte I heard over the radio from the victims brother was interesting. Sorta backs up the story above.

It sounds like the victim has a hard time letting things go… Like my wife. whistling

Certainly not justified but not a smart move by any means.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

All said the only thing I can think of is a wife and five young kids with out a husband and father. All over what? What just what could have been so damn important to make these six have to pay for it?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Did a twitter search of the suspect. Interesting as you look through several profiles of his and his friends, they all seem to reference the media has it all wrong. I guess they are just kids, but man, every single tweet from these kids has the “F” word in it and lots of references to lighters, rap songs, etc. Unfortunately it paints a bad picture in my head of their personalities, something that I shouldn’t do/need to work on. I know this has nothing to do with this case though.

Jonesy

Maybe it’s the law enforcement in me and some other life experiences but for some reason I tend to believe the suspects story more. Sad situation regardless

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Before everybody jumps to conclusions lets remember the Officer Decker shooting in Cold Spring. 2 days after the shooting everybody was ready to convict and shoot the suspect (Larson was his name if I remember correctly) turns out he was innocent and his life ruined to a degree.

Nobody here was there, so lets not make assumptions and rush to judgement.

Wanna do something? Pray for the families.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Very sad… but I have a hard time believing the victim took this as an opportunity to try to peacefully change these young lives around. Hardly worth it. Prayers to those left behind…

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I have a hard time believing the victim took this as an opportunity to try to peacefully change these young lives around.

agreed. i’ll bet there’s more to it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

When I was younger hanging with a buddy northside Mpls we saw a guy getting arrested for something half block down, then the opposite way 4-5 blocks down another dude was running full sprint towards the cops, right past us right up to the cops and sure enough was in the back of the squad in minutes. Darnest thing.

If there’s problem people I stay clear and certainly don’t feel the need to intervene, and will go far out my way to not have that interaction. Learned that back then.

Didn’t want to tell my story but rather every tragedy such as this makes me try to learn something, and just like years ago, this reiterates the point to stay clear, its just not worth the confrontation. Have the local PD and TIP line in the phone for anyone doing wrong, everything else gets ignored.

Thoughts and prayers go to the family and friends, horrible ending.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

The reports coming out are confusing to me. Like said wate and see to see what really happened. Like to point out its not just the wife and kids of the one killed affected here. The other side of the story is just as affected. Its a life changer for all involved.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Just because a suspect was arrested and charged doesn’t mean that they are guilty. I have a friend that lives in Wisconsin and a while back he shot and killed a man that broke into his home. After the trial was over and the appeals process was completed, he was found innocent of any wrongdoing and set free. Wisconsin has different laws than we do here in Minnesota as it relates to killing someone. Smoking pot,fishing and swearing, I can think of ALOT more things they could have been doing. Sad situation for all involved, let the court system figure it out instead of the public forum jury that doesn’t always have the right information.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.