The Z today

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A friend and I fished the Z this morning and had basically non-stop action in the five areas we sampled the fishing. Deep water adjacent to shallow was key, but the fish weren’t necessarily deep. The fish we got from down deep were ice cold, but some of them were the biggest we saw.

I had another chance to play with that Limit Creek 8’3″ slip bobber rod. The wind wasn’t such a factor early on which let me have some serious time with it playing the slip bobber routine. While a 1/32 head, float and plastic casts very cleanly, a 1/16 gets the job done even better. Today the fish didn’t give my mind to what the head size was so it was 1/16 all the way. Even after the wind did get up a bit the 1/16 helped to stay in touch with the hits. After a while the wind started to put a bow in the line and that’s when hook sets and missed fish began to sneak in. I didn’t have a heavier jig than the 1/16 to work with but the next trip will see a few 3/32 heads along just in case. All in all, this walleye rod is starting to show its usefulness in the crappie corner too.

Color was a huge thing today. purple/chartreuse tail. Didn’t matter what bait it was as long as it was purple with a chartreuse tail. 1 1/2″ to 2 1/2″ baits seemed to work the best.

A couple very nice sunfish hit us today too along with a mega smallie. In a word the fishing this morning was “fantastic”.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.