The Upcoming Walleye Run on the Mississippi

• justbob1000

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to approximately when the Mississippi walleye run will start this year. Thinking on either checking out one of the barge/floats during this time, or hiring a guide. Looking from the La Crosse area on down. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

JustBob, you’re best off friending a walleye and asking him.

I can’t speak of La Crosse and further South, but the walleye guides have been doing well out of Everts Resort…since last fall.

There were a few weeks that were slower then others and the -20 slow the guides down (not the fish) somewhat.

Best advice I have is watch for rising water and get out there and wet a line. All the licensed guides I know won’t steer you wrong either.

There have been large fish showing up for the evening bite and some the last couple days during daylight as well.

milemark_714

Barring any major cold weather,I’d set my sights on about March 23rd.Maybe earlier?

As far as the fish floats,I would check their website for opening dates.Can be a delay if they have to fix ice damage.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Seems to me when a person starts hearing the good reports it means you should of been there last week. Start fishing now and fish often. Good luck.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

First week of April is always a good time down this way. Pretty much anytime over the next month or so is good (Genoa, Lynxville).

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I follow the moon phases to see where fish should be. Then look at weather to where they will move to. For this region, I look at the new moon closest to the end of march. In this case, March 20th. Around this.period you will see fish moving more into staging areas near spawning habitat. When the weather says it’s time, they’ll move up to spawn. Long term forecast shows a lot of nights dropping to 20’s cooling the water until 5th of april. I suspect peak spawn activity will be April 6 to 12th. Not all fish spawn at the same time, so some go early and some later

Erikwags99

I marked a lot of big fish sitting just outside of the shallow spawning grounds. They were all in 14-16 fow. Water was only 39-40 degrees so it looks like they are staging waiting for a few more degrees to move up.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

Rain would be nice. River is way down. A little more flow plus a little warmer water and I think the fish will go on a tear

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.