The Snow is Good For…

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m not a fan of winter, but I figure we might as well have snow if it’s going to be winter.

I’m pumped that we have this much snow early because between the pre-Christmas storm and this storm, I was able to knock out my tubing run in the backyard. It’s only January 4, and this is probably the best it’s ever been. For reference, the sides are about 4′ tall.

It’s a chore, but I think I love it as much as our kids (and neighbors). Bring beer and we’re open for business! Oh, and I have it lit for night tubing, as well.

Attachments:
    1. 20230104_155720-scaled.jpg

2. 20230104_141008-scaled.jpg

3. 20230104_142409-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Stuck in the Cabo airport! flame flame

huntinforfish

Looks great. Got any vidoes? Looks like a decent grade!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There’s a polar bear in your last photo.

Love to see the fun outdoor winter projects.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

An 85-lb polar bear. He’s been hit by tubes many times. )

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Got any vidoes?

Not from this year–too warm for speed today. I’ve made it across the street and almost up to the house across the street before. )

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL sure enough.

Looks good Ralph.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

That looks like fun.Good job RW.
    How much is a season pass?12 pack,case?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

12-er of good stuff or liter of good rum. rotflol

Iowaboy1

Dang ! that looks like nothing but fun!! wish I was twenty years younger!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

There have been talks of a tow rope. Think a 350 would cut it? rotflol

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Thankfully we left MN Monday morning. Drove through heavy rain in Kansas late Monday but it’s in the 60’s in Corpus Christi tonight.
    Nice job on the tube run!

Iowaboy1

January 4, 2023 at 8:31 pm#2171329
    iowaboy1 wrote:

There have been talks of a tow rope. Think a 350 would cut it? rotflol

It should as long as you have it chained up on all four corners and have a block and tackle on the winch !!

Edit to ad, I was thinking a 350 CC four by four, duh, which you will need to pull someone plus the weight of that long of rope!

CaptainMusky

That looks awesome! Its flat ground here so we have no way to do that unless the snow reaches the roof.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That looks awesome! Its flat ground here so we have no way to do that unless the snow reaches the roof.

Yeah, it is kind of a PITA mowing but provides lots of fun in the winter. Tradeoffs. rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It’s no Muskie Hill, but that is cool, good utilization of your space and well done Ralph!

Umy
    South Metro

Looks like great fun

CaptainMusky

It’s no Hill, but that is cool, good utilization of your space and well done Ralph!

I wonder if anybody has been seriously hurt there. I went there with the kids and had a tube and flew right into the fence. I think they recently started putting bails up, but that wasnt there years ago.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wonder if anybody has been seriously hurt there.

@bigwerm
    @captainmusky

For sure. I recall in the late-90s seeing a kid snap his leg mis-landing a jump. Thankfully, there was a doctor there sledding at the time. )

Any of you guy remember Hillbilly Hills out near St. Joseph? That place was terrifying and incredibly fun! It was a sad day when they shut it down (must have been around ’05). Last time we were there, we saw a kid get his leg wrapped in the tow rope and slammed into the shed that housed the pulleys. It was ugly!

JEREMY
    BP

Wasnt bad that day but when it got icy my 5yr old flew right over the back stop.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

For sure. I recall in the late-90s seeing a kid snap his leg mis-landing a jump. Thankfully, there was a doctor there sledding at the time.

Any of you guy remember Hillbilly Hills out near St. Joseph?

Yeah Hillbilly Hills was sweet, but we only went a couple of times for like birthday parties as Muskie Hill was basically in the backyard. Muskie Hill was notorious for injuries, to the point I think the city did (and maybe still does) put up a fence on one side so people don’t use it and get caught in the crossfire at the bottom. I took out a seniors legs once as a freshman when we went there for PE, and thought I was going to get killed at some point afterwards.

I also hit a jump once and landed so hard my sled shattered and I couldn’t breathe for what seemed like eternity.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My answer to the title of the post was going to ne NOTHING !!!! but seeing your tub run changed my mind. I guess it is good for something. I remember many of fun times as a child sledding on Various local hills in my Hometown.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

What brand of tubes are you using? Hard to find a decent now that doesn’t get a hole in it after 1 or 2 uses. Our hill is really good this year also the only problem is all the trees, I am going to have to get some straw bales so the kids have something to bounce off of. With all this snow we have about 3′ vertical drop at the top that really gets them going.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

alright now that is cool to have in the yard no doubt! hope you don’t have to mow that hill!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

you guys mentioning hilly billy hills???? no wonder i havent heard that name in a while if its been closed??? man i need to get out more……

that seemed to be a really big hit……….why they close????

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, Hillbilly Hills closed quite a while ago. I talked to the owner–he was getting older and gifted the land to his kids, and they didn’t want to deal with it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What brand of tubes are you using?

I have Hydroslide tubes that I’ve gotten at Menard’s. All of mine have multiple patches on the bottom. I saved an old tube and just cut patches from that and use vinyl cement–it works well. Ice chunks and sticks are a killer!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ralph Wiggum, the true Ice Tube repair man!

Looks like a great way to get some outdoor activities going with the kids and pup Ralf!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.