The frostbite young guns

• Charles

Really Curious about the hole Aaron portion of this deal. To my knowledge Alex has never fished with him before.

Jeff Telander

What is their web address? Or haven’t they launched it yet?

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Aaron, Sobi, Murry, Mav and even AP are harder workers then a LOT of the pros in the industry and it shows… To many people that are on there way out of the industry (just not relevant anymore) are to quick to pass these young entrepreneurs off like a joke when if you do the numbers every one of the Googans is raking in almost $500k-$800k a year with all that they do… They know that its a big risk to jump in to this world but from what I have seen they have taken many big risk over the years and have nocked it out of the park almost every time! Like I was raised to do and after talking with all those guys this weekend I feel like they are the type of person to do the same and never be the smartest person in the room and to never settle on what could be an easy day of work for what could be another very productive day. Heck even the new kid Murry has a better head on his shoulders then most 50+yo that I have come across over the years.

I hope they do make it as I am all about seeing people succeed at what they love!

OH and Aaron is great person in real life! Just as goofy to!

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Anyone know if the website is up yet? They said it would be up on Monday, I believe.

Shaun A

It will launch later tonight, I think they said 6pm CST

Jeff Telander

I checked out their website. The jigs look pretty sweet! They don’t have very good pictures of their rods, though. I’m sure they are nice rods but a more detailed picture would help.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Does someone have a link for their site? I can’t seem to find it.

Thanks

Bruce Luinenburg

It is frostbiteco.com.

Found in the description for their YouTube announcement.

-Bruce

Gunflint Trail

i just don’t get all the hype about “tungsten jigs.” I understand that the jigs themselves are an improvement by being denser and sinking faster. BUT, because someone can’t simply melt-up a ladle of tungsten (like they could lead) the jigs come precast from a few foundaries somewhere else in the world.

Which means…that the differences are in the paint job and packaging.

In my experience, the paint job of my jigs was of far less importance than where I placed it, how I fished it and what I put on it.

QUESTION: Am I missing something? aren’t we simply discussing who has the best paint job?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Marketing Gunflint, marketing.

Slabhunter

Placed an order earlier this morning, lots of jigs already sold out. I was order # 1,345 so they are doing just fine and my guess is they sold a ton of product at the Ice Show this past weekend….good for them. Can’t wait to see the quality of the jigs.

Gunflint Trail

Placed an order earlier this morning, lots of jigs already sold out. I was order # 1,345 so they are doing just fine and my guess is they sold a ton of product at the Ice Show this past weekend….good for them. Can’t wait to see the quality of the jigs.

When you say “quality” is it the paint job or the foundry work at the tungsten level? What are your quality metrics for tiny tungsten jigs?

hnd

AP is an annoying FIB, but that kid and the rest of the Googan squad grind. He played a large role with the rollout of Googan Bait’s first soft plastic. Wondering if Frost Bite jigs will be the same level of quality.

yeah, i follow AP and JonB. these guys are just as you put it complete grinders. I’ve followed both since they were teens putting out horribly made videos but i saw myself in their efforts. But they took it to a whole new level. I made fishing shows for school projects with my parents big ole camcorders (i’m 37) and would do interviews on fishing reports from local bait shops. But i had no outlet for this stuff and it went by the wayside. If only i had youtube back then.

so i still watch a video here or there when i’m inspired to, but I’m stoked for their venture. I think the success of their Googan plastics and Favorite rod company gives them the confidence to get into the ice fishing world.

As many people that can nudge clam out of the picture as much as humanly possible due to their sacrifice of quantity over quality.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

good hooks….there are a boat load of tungsten jigs out there with garbage hooks. You’re totally right, you can’t really be disruptive if you’re selling the same old stuff as everyone else – unless you have some magic marketing. They look nice and when it comes to jigs, catching fishermen ranks higher than catching fish.

rods…nothing special – nice markup/profit margin for them

Gunflint Trail

good hooks….there are a boat load of tungsten jigs out there with garbage hooks. You’re totally right, you can’t really be disruptive if you’re selling the same old stuff as everyone else – unless you have some magic marketing. They look nice and when it comes to jigs, catching fishermen ranks higher than catching fish.

rods…nothing special – nice markup/profit margin for them

I don’t use tiny tungsten jigs at all fishing my lake trout. My questions were more curiosity about the actual facts of the case. I understand branding. Never underestimate what a good brand can do. It has made billions selling sugared water (coke) and hamburgers. I have no skin in the game here, just trying to separate brand from reality.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I just looked at their custom rods. Is it just me or does the lettering on them look very similar to the lettering on TUCR rods?

Gunflint Trail

Does hook quality really matter on a tiny jig? How many panfish straighten a hook. Isn’t basic quality enough?

munchy
    NULL

Does hook quality really matter on a tiny jig? How many panfish straighten a hook. Isn’t basic quality enough?

I’ve got no skin in this discussion as I dont use tungsten jigs either, however I have seen many small hooks with the hooks points completely bent over or just simply not sharp. When you’re using 1-4lb mono or flouro line you NEED a sharp hook to get any kind of hook penetration.

tswoboda

Yes it matters. Trash hooks will bend and twist from unhooking bluegills.

Slabhunter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Slabhunter wrote:</div>

When you say “quality” is it the paint job or the foundry work at the tungsten level? What are your quality metrics for tiny tungsten jigs?

Quality paint job, good glow and strong hooks…I am crappie guy and a plastics user 100%…time will tell if Frostbite will have more space in my jig box or not.

hnd

QUESTION: Am I missing something? aren’t we simply discussing who has the best paint job?

kinda. they all get the tungsten from the same foundaries. but i find the difference is a high quality jig similar to the high quality leadhead. hook quality and of course paint.

For me hook quality trumps all. I can go buy 100 tungsten jigs from some chinese website and all the hooks are straight garbage. but i know that from some of these companies they put legit hooks on them and I’m happy.

That said, some of these prices are absolutely ridiculous. I know you’ve painstakenly painted each one but for me thats fisherman eyecandy. not a necessity under the water. guys spending 6 bucks a jig for bratners is absolutely ridiculous.

I’ll spend as much as 2 bucks a jig, but thats about my limit.

Joshua

Looking at the jigs I saw nothing special. Nothing that clam or vmc could not do at cheaper price. Hey had custom colors but nothing that excited me.

Gunflint Trail

Looking at the jigs I saw nothing special. Nothing that clam or vmc could not do at cheaper price. Hey had custom colors but nothing that excited me.

EXCEPT the brand. Don’t underestimate the power of the brand. The video is great and says it all. “If you fish with Frostbite, you fish with me!” At a certain level that is entirely true. You may not pay the premium, but MANY MANY will, especially those who have religiously followed their videos for years. I like Aaron Weibe and his videos. I would probably be willing to pay a little more to “fish with Aaron.” Not because it is better but because of the brand and his relationship with it. I just attended an ice fishing show in St. Paul that was full of people wearing expensive swag to show that they were members of some “brand” (Clam, Otter, Eskimo, etc. ). For me, I would consider wearing a brand name and promoting the brand (it is called advertising) if someone were willing to compensate me – but that has not happened yet. I now only promote my own.

Very interesting business problem.

I wish them all the best.

hnd

everyone wants to be a part of something. its why you’ll see joe baloney’s fishing in jerseys or why everyone wants to be prostaff.

matthewkolden

I’m wish you. Frankly I can’t even stand spending 1.00 on a tiny little panfish jig let alone 2-3 dollars each. I also don’t and won’t claim to be the best fisherman, or care about having all the latest and greatest gear, so maybe that’s where i’m wrong. If i’d get my act together maybe i’d be better. =)

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gunflint Trail wrote:</div>

I’m wish you. Frankly I can’t even stand spending 1.00 on a tiny little <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish jig let alone 2-3 dollars each. I also don’t and won’t claim to be the best fisherman, or care about having all the latest and greatest gear, so maybe that’s where i’m wrong. If i’d get my act together maybe i’d be better. =)

Do you fish to be the best or to enjoy the experience? Those that want to be the best are prime targets for the companies and marketing whiz’s.

Gunflint Trail

Do you fish to be the best or to enjoy the experience? Those that want to be the best are prime targets for the companies and marketing whiz’s.

I disagree. The brand is an identity to belong to their group. Their video says it all, “if you fish with Frostbite, you fish with me.” I doubt many on this board would consider their group the “best” fishermen of our time. Aaron Weibe is very good but most of the others are simply having fun together. Buy Frostbite and you can join their group.

It is more like your time in school when there was a fad and if you not wearing the right logo, you were not the “in-crowd.” Nothing about the Best fishing at all.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.