The bucks are starting to polish thier racks

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I took a walk across the street to see what the deer are doing and seen some rubs on small willows, walked a little farther down this willow row and seen a couple more, so their changing into fall mode now. Some soft maples are starting to change colors, cottonwoods are dropping their leaves and some ash trees are starting to change too.

I sold my Mathews Icon a couple years ago and started looking for another one but not intently, put the looking in slow mode that if I ran across a good bow for a decent price Id buy it.

A friend of my boys came over last night with his friend and low and behold had another Mathews forsale, I looked at it and for the price of $200 I bought it. Its the Mission style bow, never shot one but bought it anyway. Sites were on it plus a whisker biscuit, stabilizer and I’m going to change it too a fall away rest. For $200 I couldn’t pass it up as its only 2 years old and he only used it for bow fishing on his grandpas farm when he got around to it. He had his eyes on another friends bow that had one forsale that he wanted bad so that’s why I got it so cheap. His friend asked me,,,Do you have a place to hunt this fall and I asked why. He said my grandpas farm is down by a town Called Marengo and its 540 acres I know the Marengo area fairly well and asked weather it was on the Iowa river bottom or up in the hills that run along the river, he said up in the hills.

I asked what the deer were like and he said he got a decent 12 pointer last fall with shotgun and seen a buck that had a wide spread that went a few inches outside its ears on both sides with long tall tines so I thought things are starting to look better. I called a friend of mine a few minutes ago about the farm and caught him in his tree stand with his bow hunting on the n.w. side of town. So were going to check the farm out within the next couple weeks. His friend also said their hasn’t been any shotgunners on the farm for a few years anyway, so this farm sounds good. I asked if there was going to be any shotgunners this year and they said no, just who they let on bowhunting. Both of these young guys aren’t that experienced on whats a trophy timber and with asking them a few specific questions about what they’ve seen in the past, layout of the land, any creeks which theres one big one and crops, it sound like it may be a decent trophy area with adjoining farms.

Heres a bit of information about the deer herd last year in Clayton county just north of me. I went with a friend up to Marquette to work on his cabin on the miss. for him a couple days ago. On the way north we were stopped by a deputy because a grain truck rolled over and had to wait 15 minuets for traffic coming in the other lane, We got to talking about how many road kills there were last season in Clayton county. He chuckled and said hes got two friends that work for the highway commission picking up road kills and have been doing that for quite a few years. Well the highway commission stopped picking up the deer and now just pull them into the ditches and let the animals feed on them. Why? because both of these guys had to go through rotor cup surgery, one last year and the other the year before because it was their job in the fall to pick up animals and take them to the landfill and another area where they disposed of road kills. So now they just pull the deer into the ditches and let them lay there’s so many in Clayton county. I know culling tags for does are in the thousands and all of eastern Iowa sold out last year, I tried to buy a couple and was told they were sold out in every county in eastern Iowa. The deputy said its their busiest time of year because of going to accidents with deer. Want all the fresh deer you can get? Just rent a motel room anywhere in the Strawberry Point area in November, give your name to the sherrifs department in Clayton county and you’ll take back a pickup load of deer in 3 or 4 days, they kill a lot of them every night on the roads there with hitting them with cars, just bring your coolers. Can’t buy a tag here, just rent a motel room and bring your truck, you’ll go home with deer.

So anyway it looks like a good fall with deer hunting this farm and he said I could trap it too. So good luck this upcoming season for everyone whos going.

B-man

My buddy’s 11 year old boy just shot his first archery buck in Wisconsin this morning (crossbow) toast

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0912.jpg

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its a decent deer for an 11 year old young guy, talking rights are his.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.