The Big Freeze….

• Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Well ice heads, I did a quick check of the weather up in Ely and I bet by mid-November we will have some fishable ice up in Ben Putnam’s neck of the woods. As long as something drastic doesn’t happen with the temps, I believe the first show of the season may feature frozen water somewhere. However, Weathermen also are notorious liars, so who knows I may be soaking it up in a boat with a camera in my hand, sucking back on a few mojitos…..

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2014-11-03-at-11.09.47-AM.png

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Last week I was thinking there was little to no chance our first shoot would be on the ice. Based on what I’m seeing now I’m thinking things are starting to look good for that to happen.

I’d much rather hit the ice to start the season than spend a couple weeks in the boat before making the switch so I’ve got fingers and toes crossed that the forecast holds.

That’s the good news. The not so good news is I have to get a lot of gear to get ready in what looks to be a very short amount of time.

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

So excited looking at long range forecasts for ne minn and nw wis!! Love my fall fishing but the ice is where its at through and through!!! In the same boat as far as getting the gear ready though!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“That’s the good news. The not so good news is I have to get a lot of gear to get ready in what looks to be a very short amount of time.”

You should hire an equipment manager. Preferably a crusty old white-bearded fly fishing curmudgeon. Just sayin’ )

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

“That’s the good news. The not so good news is I have to get a lot of gear to get ready in what looks to be a very short amount of time.”

You should hire an equipment manager. Preferably a crusty old white-bearded fly fishing curmudgeon. Just sayin’ )

Hiring someone to do that job is a GREAT idea. The question is, will you work for free? If so, you’re the perfect man for the job!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

There’s got to be a way, let me work on it.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

The not so good news is I have to get a lot of gear to get ready in what looks to be a very short amount of time.

James –

I did an inventory of my prep so far and thought I’d share for you to reference. Man, this ice fishing thing is a TON of work! Good thing I’m such an addict )

The Ice Castle is all set which included: all new winches (3), brakes fixed, replaced rusty exterior screws with stainless, propane tank platform replaced, exterior light bulbs and lug nuts replaced, interior vacuumed and cleaned, generator oil changed and fired up, propane tanks refilled (IC and 10#’er for portable), zerks and bearings greased/re-packed, DirecTv called to (re)activate receiver (due to inactivity), electrical plug-in head unit (on castle) replaced and electrical receiver (on truck) replaced.

Also replaced Auger spark plug and fired up, cleaned portable and set up in driveway and fired up Big Buddy. Changed out sled trailer bulbs, bought a new spare and greased bearings.

To Do includes: Sharpen auger blades, re-spool rods and tip-ups, organize tackle box and take inventory, “winterize” snowmobile and maybe put new tires on the truck.

Bryan Myers

That is an awesome looking forecast, I can’t wait to hit the ice! I started my rotation in the garage this weekend. I got the boat out of it and made room to bring the wheeler and shack in to get them both ready for battle!

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I have been stocking up on ice jigs and lures the past week, slender spoons, Northland puppet minnows, gill pills some plastics, and then a bunch of small jigs the local bait shop has, that I don’t see anywhere else. The nice part about spending money on ice fishing lures for me is its a long term investment, meaning I wont snag my 4 dollars on the next cast.

Just hope the weather does hold and we get ice early. I was severely handicapped without a vehicle here at school last year first ice, but this year I’m going to definitely punch holes a lot!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You people are sick.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

I’ve always wondered what would happen if the weather didn’t cooperate. Ever think of shooting a show based on preparations? You guys don’t mod your portables much but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t do part of the show based on it… granted it’s an outdoors show, but you could put highlights of last year in there for fillers or bloopers, etc….

scmelik
    South Dakota

I’ve always wondered what would happen if the weather didn’t cooperate. Ever think of shooting a show based on preparations? You guys don’t mod your portables much but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t do part of the show based on it… granted it’s an outdoors show, but you could put highlights of last year in there for fillers or bloopers, etc….

i like this idea!

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

That is a cool idea!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That is a cool idea!

I’m hoping we just get to go fishing. Fingers crossed that there will be ice somewhere, anywhere, within a two day driving distance.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

When I saw the title my first thought was; “Someone must be looking at Ely’s forecast!” Over the past few weeks, the long range cast has been quite close to what has actually shown up, they’ve even been nailing the snow/sleet/rain predictions 5-6 days beforehand. Big lakes are around 40 degrees +/- and the smaller lakes could have safe ice as early as next weekend if next week’s forecast stays true. I will be submitting updates over the next few weeks as the ice comes in and as always, feel free to friend/message me if you need any info on the Ely area for lodging, bait, safe lakes to fish, etc… And remember to always keep safety the top priority on the ice again this season!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I will be submitting updates over the next few weeks as the ice comes in and as always, feel free to friend/message me if you need any info on the Ely area for lodging, bait, safe lakes to fish, etc… And remember to always keep safety the top priority on the ice again this season!

For some reason I’m having a hard time processing the idea that we’re already talking about first ice reports!!! Thanks much, Ben. Maybe we’ll get to come see you again this winter early in the season.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

A month ago it seemed as though the ice was going to wait until the end of November, but with each passing day the reality of a significantly earlier arrival is becoming much more likely. I will certainly be looking forward to an opportunity to pound the ice with you guys again this year.

castle-rock-clown

So in our prayers should we be praying for an extended Polar Vortex…remember CastleRock last year.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I sure remember castle rock. Right on par for last winter…Froze my butt off!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I’m hoping for no vortex after we get the ice. three years ago never got enough ice for cars or trucks to make it on that helps keep the numbers of people with no etiquette off the ice. First ice people usually are your true sportsman it seems.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

You people are sick.

Yup, but it just a mental thing that has no cure or one wanted.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ben Putnam wrote:</div>
    I will be submitting updates over the next few weeks as the ice comes in and as always, feel free to friend/message me if you need any info on the Ely area for lodging, bait, safe lakes to fish, etc… And remember to always keep safety the top priority on the ice again this season!

For some reason I’m having a hard time processing the idea that we’re already talking about first ice reports!!! Thanks much, Ben. Maybe we’ll get to come see you again this winter early in the season.

Pessimist. ;-)

castle-rock-clown

I’m hoping for no vortex after we get the ice. three years ago never got enough ice for cars or trucks to make it on that helps keep the numbers of people with no etiquette off the ice. First ice people usually are your true sportsman it seems.

I guess that rules me out.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

[/quote]

I put usually there are exemptions to most rules. If the vortex sticks around Bronzback and me are camping in your shack.

riverruns
    Inactive

That must be relation to post something like that? JK.

castle-rock-clown

I put usually there are exemptions to most rules. If the vortex sticks around Bronzback and me are camping in your shack

[/quote

excellent you already showed me your date time honey holz now I’ll find your night time ones too.

Travis Swanson

I can’t wait, send some of that cold air down here to eastern Iowa too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.