The Big Breezy

• Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

I thought that I would check out the new video upload feature. The wind is really blowing in on the East side. I am up at the cabin for the entire week, and will be reporting on how the bite is. Stay tuned!

-Drew

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Drew. You can’t upload videos to our site but you can embed them from sites like Youtube, etc.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Doh! (where are the emoticons?)

At first, I thought that it was not working because the video was larger than 8 megs. After a shrink and I second attempt – figured that might be the case. And now that you mention it – I remember you posting that we could “embed” videos.

I’ll figure it out here…

http://youtu.be/nyl6qC8De18

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Maybe I won’t… How do I embed a youtube video? I tried pasting in the embed html, but encodes it… Also, why can’t I edit my posts? There was an ‘edit’ link there, but disappeared. Is it on a timer?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My own first embed test…. fingers crossed.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There’s a formatting issue with the size of the video… but we’ll get that fixed quick.

So here’s how you embed a video. Copy the “embed code” from Youtube.

Paste the embed code into your post or reply.

Highlight the embed code. The click in the “code” tag located above the text entry field. The code tag will wrap the embed code in the appropriate tags. All that’s left to do is hit the “submit reply” button.

Holler if you have any questions. I’ll loose the hounds on that formatting issue.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Let’s try this again… Hmm… Wrapping it in the code tags is not working.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nyl6qC8De18?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nyl6qC8De18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I fail at it too, haha Oh well

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well now we know where the problem lies. You were doing it correctly but the permissions controlling who can embed videos needs to be adjusted. I’ll get that on the bug list.

Thanks for your help bug testing Drew!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Regardless of the embed issue – Looks like a kidney pounder out there!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Alternative method. We should be able to add the link to the video to the text entry box and the system will do the rest. Here goes…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

So easy, even a caveman can do it.

So, for the record you don’t need to embed code. Just copy and post the url to the video into the post or reply and click “submit.” The site will do the rest. Pretty cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.