Thai coconut walleye soup on MN Bound

• Dr. Pomoxis

Hi all,

Anyone ever make this recipe? I love it. I’ve had it linked on my computer for a couple years. I was going to make it today but the I can’t access it online. Says “Bad Gateway error…” Anyone smarter than me and have it on paper?

That’ll teach me for not writing it down.

Jake
    Brainerd

Never had it, but sounds delicious. I’d like to know as well!

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

A quick google search took me to the MN Bound website.

Thai Coconut Walleye Soup

Cooking time 45 minutes
    Serves 8 hungry fishermen

Ingredients:
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 med. onion, julienne (about 3/4 cup)
    1 Tablespoon fresh minced ginger
    1 carrot (peeled and cut 1/8” thick slices)
    1 red pepper ( seeds removed and cut into ¼” pieces)
    2 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste*, or 2 teaspoons curry powder
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup light coconut milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon, plus more for seasoning
    4 (6-ounce) pieces walleye fillet, skin removed
    1 cup firmly packed greens such as spinach, kale or chard
    2 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced (cilantro makes a great garnish too)
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (reserve peel for lime zest)

Directions:
    In a large Dutch oven cast iron pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions, ginger, carrots and red pepper – cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Next add the chicken broth, coconut milk, curry paste, lime zest & 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir and simmer approx. 5 minutes to develop aroma and flavor.

Season the walleye with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Arrange the fish in the pan and add greens, cover with lid. Return to medium heat and cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 7 minutes.

Remove lid and flake fish. Place lid back on let rest in a warm spot of fire to allow soup to gently simmer until ready to serve. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with sliced green onions and squeeze fresh lime over top.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I have have made this a couple times with both Walleye and Crappie.
    It’s great recipe. I modified this and used full coconut milk not the Lite milk the recipe calls for. And since I like coconut milk I leaned on the milk. So if you are a fan of coconut milk add a full can.
    Enjoy.

Dr. Pomoxis

Thanks guys. Geez, I tried googling it for an hour and the site was bad. I post on here, and then the dang thing came back online. I must’ve been doing something wrong. It’s a great recipe with any fish, and a pretty healthy way to eat fish.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.