Rem .300 Ultra-Mag

• timmy

I am looking for opinions on the .300 ultra mag.

I may be in line for a very good deal on a perfect condition remington in this caliber. It is topped with a leupold scope – not sure of the model, but it is a 4-12 I think with the big objective lens that is scalloped on the bottom to allow it to sit closer to the rifle axis.

If the deal comes through, it will be the type that is too good to pass up if I am at all interested in it – but being it is from a close friend, doing a buy/re-sell to make a buck on it would not be an option.

For you rifle experts – what do you think of this caliber? I am mainly a whitetail hunter with plans of making a few western trips for muleys/elk in the next few years and dreams of a moose hunt in the future.

T

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If the gun is in good shape and the price is right. Buy it. Even if you don’t use it around home for deer, it will be a perfect caliber for out west or on a Moose. My cousin swears by his from whitetail on the plains to elk out west.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Freaking blast to shoot. Ive got a Remington xcr with a vortex scope. Just got it last year havent taken a deer with it but it shoots very well.

Id buy it. Remington makes different power levels of ammo from deer to grizzly.

But thats no fun shooting the lower power stuff, get the ammo thats packed full of powder.

Bob has one and he talked me into mine. Hopefully he will have more to add.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It’s a shoulder cannon. At almost 100 gr of magpro, it will launch a 150 barnes tsx at 3500fps.

timmy

Thanks for the responses.

I will add that the gun has a muzzlebrake on it. My buddy bought it for an elk hunting trip, and after the first few shots at the range, he said that pulling the trigger made his teeth and scalp hurt……. :rotflmao. A brake was installed that week and that made a big difference.

He shot a bull with it on the first day, came home and it has not seen the sun since……. He wants to buy a nice .308 for whitetail and said the .300 is on his $hitlist?…

If he chooses to sell I might get in line.

T Code:

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Timmy,

Have you ever shot a high recoiling rifle before? These things out kick the Rem 7 mag by over 10 ft lbs of energy close to a 375 H and H. more than 300 weatherby. With a muzzle brake the report without ear protection would be deafening. Some people handle heavy recoil well some don’t. The Ultra Mag will kill anything in North America at just about any range. Just make sure you are aware of the challenges of shooting a truly hard kicking gun. I have one buddy that loves his, ideal for long range elk.
    See if you can take it to the range.

Mwal

timmy

Mwal – good advice! I plan on shooting it prior to buying ……..if he decides to sell. And to answer your question – no, I have never shot anything over a .300 win mag. I was with my friend when he shot the ultra mag after the brake was installed. 2 benches down from him, a guy had partial bottle of water sitting on the outside edge of his bench. When my pal fired a shot, the muzzle blast knocked the bottle off the guys bench…… Holy crap does that make a racket. According to him, it reduced the recoil to marginally more than an 30-06….. But that is merely his tale….. I have to verify that.

T

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Mwal – good advice! I plan on shooting it prior to buying ……..if he decides to sell. And to answer your question – no, I have never shot anything over a .300 win mag. I was with my friend when he shot the ultra mag after the brake was installed. 2 benches down from him, a guy had partial bottle of water sitting on the outside edge of his bench. When my pal fired a shot, the muzzle blast knocked the bottle off the guys bench…… Holy crap does that make a racket. According to him, it reduced the recoil to marginally more than an 30-06….. But that is merely his tale….. I have to verify that.

T

Thats about right. I have a brake on mine and could shoot it all day long if ammo wasnt so expensive.

johnee

I had a similar situation that gave me a chance at another western rifle, a 7MM Shooting Times Westerner. I passed and I’m not sad about it.

To be honest, for your needs, it’s total overkill. Moose are not difficult to kill, and many consider the 270 Winchester to be the classic moose rifle. It’s complete overkill for deer of any stripe.

The 300 RUM is really only going to come into its own for sheep, brown bear, or on safari where big game takes on its true meaning.

Totally agree with advice already given as far as shooting the rifle to see if you can handle the recoil.

Also, you should look at the price of ammo. It will be SIGNIFICANT.

One final note. IF you buy it, please be aware that a rifle of that caliber WITH a muzzle brake is no joking matter at the range. You can seriously injure someone at an adjoining bench! You must use extreme caution with this much muzzle blast!

Grouse

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

One final note. IF you buy it, please be aware that a rifle of that caliber WITH a muzzle brake is no joking matter at the range. You can seriously injure someone at an adjoining bench! You must use extreme caution with this much muzzle blast!

Grouse

Good post grouse!
    This is something I forgot to mention. I always keep extra foam ear buds with me and offer them to people and let everyone know what im shooting at the range. Everyone is appreciate and usually take the ear plugs. I honestly dont think its louder then a 300 win mag.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Agreed on the kick! I have a .338 Win Mag and it is manageable but not fun. I shot a buddy’s .300 Ultra-Mag and it has even more of a kick, more of a nasty sharp poke versus the .338 which is just a good shove.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I’ve never heard a deer complain about being too dead.

The first time I shot a 300 Ultra Mag, my face looked like I just stepped out of the ring with Mike Tyson in his prime. Make sure the scope allows for plenty of eye relief. If I had been shooting at a deer instead of a target, I would have had a hard time deciphering my own blood from that of the deer.

johnee

Quote:

As far back as a decade ago, I noted in a magazine article that the average whitetail seemed to require more and more gun to kill. As if deer had somehow gotten bigger and more dangerous. It used to be an extreme oddity to see anyone hunting whitetail with a true magnum, the rare exception was the “one gun man” who came from elk country. This escallation applies elsewhere as well. Elk, moose, etc all seem to have gotten bigger, badder, and require more gun to kill.

Nowadays, I see hunters and hear of others buying magnum cartridges ONLY to hunt deer. I have been told in all serousness that the 300 Win Mag is “a little light” for elk.

The problem is where does “enough” reasonably end, then? If a 300 RUM doesn’t make deer too dead, why not a .416 to really make them really, really dead?

Also, the issue of ruining too much meat with this Artillery Overkill needs to be addressed. In a perfect world, where everyone shot perfectly, there would be no problem. In the real world, meat loss is going to be significant without perfectly placed shots.

Grouse

timmy

Quote:

Quote:

As far back as a decade ago, I noted in a magazine article that the average whitetail seemed to require more and more gun to kill. As if deer had somehow gotten bigger and more dangerous. It used to be an extreme oddity to see anyone hunting whitetail with a true magnum, the rare exception was the “one gun man” who came from elk country. This escallation applies elsewhere as well. Elk, moose, etc all seem to have gotten bigger, badder, and require more gun to kill.
    Grouse

Ha. How true. I have a pretty decent track record of 1-shot kills with little to no tracking involved from my puny little .243. Evidently the deer haven’t been reading the reports on how the gun is too small….

If the .300 RUM deal comes through, it will be purely as a novelty and a want – I can not even begin to feign an actual need for it. I am sure my .308 or 30-06 would more than adequately fill any elk or moose needs.

T

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I started out with the old 30-06 for deer but I may have the urge to kill Grizzlies and Elk. So I got a 7 mag. Hated the recoil hated the loss of meat it really blows a deer up at MN/WI woods range of 50 yards. Started shooting in the liver area on purpose with 150 grn bullet drop dead still occasional meat loss. Just hated shooting the gun and never did hunt anything else. SO i sold it bought 2 guns designed for deer sized game that I actually love to shoot. Both can even step up to Moose on up to ELk with right load. The 7mm-08 and the good old 30/30. Both very soft shooting and get the job done. I have friends in Canada that have shot a moose every year for 30+ years with the old 30/30 not a tough animal to kill at all They also have shot wolves and plenty of black bear. 7mm-08 can cover any long range hunt I may do. Its adequate for anything less than Grizzlies and I look forward to range days year round not just 3 shots with a mag and hope its sighted in.Which makes you a better shot. I think many of us where bitten by the magnum bug. I have nothing against Timmy wanting the Big gun if that is what you like to shoot. The cost of feeding the RUM is quit high $60 + a box for 20 rounds if you don’t reload.Since the RUM is not a super popular round I suspect brass will be expensive and hard to find so reloads would be more expensive that say a 300 Win Mag. The 30/30 on the other hand is affordable and you can actually shoot a box or two in a session at the range. 7mm-08 is very easy to reload for so it is also great for extended shooting . I hope Timmy gets to test it out and if he gets it he gets to use it on Elk.

Mwal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.