maybe a good sign

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I was at walmart and bought 2 50 round boxes of federal 9mm fmj for $13.97 a box. Its the first time ive found any for quite some time at a store thats not price gouging. Makes me feel like things might start to get better.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good to hear.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Thats about 1/2 price of the 9mm that I bought in wis. 3 weeks ago

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Still nothing around here. It’s getting kinda scary.
    Is their really a conspiracy? Is the govt involved and buying up our ammo? All I know is I cannot shoot my 9’s and I want to shoot them.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m taking a couple hundred rounds of 9 & .40 back home this weekend. I can’t “afford” to plink with anymore than that. My ammo connection says we should start seeing stock on shelves soon. I just don’t know how when EVERYONE is empty. The consumers who didn’t stock pile are running on E so it’s gonna take some time to get any kind of inventory back on the shelf.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Fleet Farm in Brooklyn Park has been getting some shipments in. A few weeks ago, they had a pile of .38 Special. Then, last week, I saw a pile of .40 S&W. So, hopefully, stocks will be replenished soon. I am very hesitant to shoot what I have right now.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’ve got 3 stores to hit tonight in Aberdeen. One, Dunhams, almost always has some. I’ll be interested to what they have tonight.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Where I do find rounds they are double in price what they should be.

kooty
    Keymaster

If I find anything good I’ll call you Mike.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks buddy. Good luck.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Stopped at walmart in mason city iowa today and they had a bunch of 9mm 100 round winchester value packs for $25, federal 50 round box for $14, and winchester 50 round was $13 or $14. Also noticed they had winchester 44mag for $40 for 50 rounds. Tul ammo .223 was about $5.50 a box (steal case from russia). 444 marlin .243 .38 special all at normal walmart prices. A buddy of mine went to cabelas in prairie du chien on tuesday and he said they had a lot of 9mm pmc for $16 for 50 rounds and federal 500 round cans for $175 and even .22lr winchester hollow point copper plated $30 for 500 rounds and blazer 525 pack for $22. And american eagle .223 for $10 a 20 round box.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Where I do find rounds they are double in price what they should be.

Ryans sport shop in Durand Wis.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sounds like I need to start checking the local Walmarts again.

kooty
    Keymaster

Nothing super great last. They had a box of 250 .40 cal FMJ for $100.00 last night at Dunhams. NO 9MM. I’ll have check Walmart when I get out to that end of town today.

johnee

I just had report yesterday from a business contact that drove in to the Twin Cities from North Dakota. He a big hunter and AR platform guy.

He said that the new Gander Mountain Firearms MegaStore (or whatever) in Rodgers had a good stock of ammo in calibers he hadn’t seen for months. Multiple brands of .223 and 9 MM were there as of Tuesday 6/4.

I made a joke that Gander must have pulled all the ammo from every other branch to make this happen. I hope this means some supplies are starting to become available.

However… On the reloading side it’s still AWFUL. No primers. No powder. No bullets.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They are still lining up 50 deep at the door on Thu morning at gander in Woodbury. Hoarding *^%#$$%!!!

kooty
    Keymaster

I’ve yet to step foot in that place, hard to believe as close as it is. Sounds like a good place to visit Saturday AM with the girls.

johnee

Quote:

They are still lining up 50 deep at the door on Thu morning at gander in Woodbury. Hoarding *^%#$$%!!!

There is no doubt, this is the #1 cause of the shortage: POS hoarding b#st#rds. Basically, this small fracion is gobbling up 90% of the ammo and ruining it for everyone.

I see it all the time on other sites, guys bragging about how the shortage “isn’t a problem” because they have 100k, 500k, or even 1m rounds in storage.

Yeah,a$$hole, it isn’t a problem for you because you ARE the problem for everyone else. If you bought up 1m rounds just so you can sit there an fondle them in your basement bunker, you’re a freaking richardhead.

I think the stores like Gander could help us out a little more by stopping these Thursday Hoarding Hogtrough guys by metering out the stock more and putting harder limits on what a single customer can buy.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I asked the manager that told me this the other day how many boxes they were selling to these tards and he told me 2. I said 1 box should be the max right now. Make them #*&&% pay more in gas than its worth. If I could buy 1 box of 9mm right now I could have an enjoyable round at the range this weekend. Two box would be heaven. I HATE being forced not to shoot as Im sure most of you guys do as well.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

I checked what my supplier; they had on hand in 9mm

124 gr Hornady XTP 25 rds $18.00 – 124 boxes
    147 gr Hornady XTP 25 rds $18.00 – 207 boxes

limited to 10 boxes of any one kind per customer

shipping – flat rate of $7.95

So I guess there is some ammo around for some folks

Cheers

johnee

.22 rimfire situation continues to be awful. I wonder if they will ever catch up with hoarder demand?

I have seen 9 MM and .223 on some shelves recently. I think the relatively high cost of this ammo keeps the hoarders and resellers at bay a litte bit because they are starting to see Judgement Day coming, when supplies catch up and they get stuck with a huge stock of ammo that they overpaid for and now cannot sell.

Reloading supplies are still terribly tight and availability is still feast of famine with the heavy emphasis on the famine side of the equation. Rumor has it that powder is slowly showing up on a much more regular basis. Primers? Good luck! I managed to find some small rifle a few weeks ago, but there was a 300 primer limit, which I actually thanked the shop for imposing. I’m sick of all the hoggers out there buying more than they can ever use in a reasonable period of time and thus hurting everyone else.

Bullets in anything except .223 are broadly available. I’ve had no problem getting 6 MM bullets, it’s the .223 stuff that’s still non-existant.

Grouse

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

TFG check Fleet Farm in Oakdale for reloading supplies.
    They seem to have a few boxes of primers large and small and such whenever I have been looking for ammo. They have been cleaned out on lead 12 ga clay loads for months. I didn’t see any .22 rounds either. It’s a good thing I bought a few bricks when the kids were in gun safety. p.s. new Fleet Farm just opened this week in Cambridge. I hope it has a huge outdoors section like the out of the city ones.

Ferny.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been seeing a lot more 22 ammo showing up on the shelves around here in south central WI.

Keep in mind that hoarding is the minor end of the issue. Adding MILLIONS of new firearm owners is the bigger part od the puzzle. As I worked events at Bass Pro, Cabelas, and other retail outlets, I watched hundreds of sales per day of new firearms. Of which comes buying ammo. Probably one of the most popular sales I watched was the AR style .22lr S&W had one for I think about $300 – (not sure on the exact price). At just one store I watched over 50 sold in a matter of a couple hours and 100 more guys ask for them throughout the day.
    Now, as these “new enthusiast” take to plinking, they are buying a lot of ammo that the industry wasn’t prepared to supply to.

Same goes for reloading. One of the reloading forums I frequent has about 3 to 5 new guys a week that “just bought my first kit and looking to learn more…”. That massive wave of new hobbyists is putting a huge strain on the industry as well.

I think we are starting to see a trough in the wave on the horizon. More and more ammo is staying on the shelf and we are also seeing multiple manufactures hitting the shelf at the same time. Its gradual…but happening. I think the next major wave is the one that will set the industry pace for the next couple years. Many of these new owners will take to continue shooting sports, and some will not take to it and move on. Some will move over into trap, hunting, archery, clays, paper,….and others will simply quit. Once that wave settles, so will everything else.
    THEN, may the hoarders that bought with the intent of price gouging get caught with their pants down and take a massive hit for contributing to the problem.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

The walmarts in my area have a ton of .223/.556 right now and at pretty decent prices even seen a guy selling 1000 rds of pmc brass case 55gr full metal jacket in the credit union swap sheet for $420. Now if .22 would get back on the shelf we would be good to go.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m curious if there is much profit margin in the .22 and that may be why the lack of product is coming from the manufacturer?? I’m having beers with my inside contact shortly. I’ll have to run this past him.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hear anything? BTW I was at Walfart yesterday and their 5.56 is not lower than Gander.

kooty
    Keymaster

Of course my punk neighbor went to bed before I got there last night.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.