CC Gun

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I’m looking to purchase a carry gun in the 500 dollar range. I’ve been shopping for a couple weeks now and have been suprised how many options there are (making it harder). I’ve really taken a liking to the Beretta PX4 as it feels GREAT in my hand, however I’m not sure this gun is realistic for carry purpose. I’ve also held and really like the Bersa Thunder 380 CC which feels great and seems realistic to carry, however I’m slightly turned off since it’s a .380.

I know this is an open ended question, but does anyone have any recommendations? I’ve got the go-ahead from my wife so now it’s just up to me what to buy.

Pete

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I just pick up the Ruger LC9, it weight only 17.10 oz unloaded. I really like the feel of this gun, I have not shot mine yet but I have shot one that belongs to a friend of mine, I was very impressed. I picked mine up at Cabelas for $399 do your self a favor and go check it out I am willing to bet you will like what you see.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Ruger LCR or Glock 26

pool5hunter
    South East,Mn

Springfield xds 45 cal and if you want something smaller they just released the 9mm at shot show. You won’t see a 9mm in the stores for awhile.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Pete,

I just got the PX4 Subcompact in 9MM. I’ve yet to shoot it, but it felt the best in my hand in the store. I wanted something bigger than my S&W Bodyguard to plink with yet small enough to carry. The bodyguard’s long trigger pull takes a large amount of fun factor out of the micro sized pistols.

Now, that said, I’ve personally been a little responsible for this craziness. I’ve also picked up a Springfield XD40 for peer range gun/carry in hunting situations. I’ve also picked up a S&W 22A for pure plinking at reasonable rate. Why do I say all this? One gun to fit all these needs is hard to come by and it’s a slippery slope. Honestly, the only other pistol purchase I see in the future is a .38 revolver for the wife. I truely think I’m set.

No doubt the PX4 will a bit harder to conceal than the Bersa. A buddy has the Bersa and all in all he is happy with it for the price.

Have fun shopping.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I’m with Steve on the LC9. I purchased one a few weeks ago for an off-duty CC/on duty back-up weapon. It shoots nice groups out to about 20 yards. Haven’t shot beyond that. It feels great in my hand as I have larger hands, and adjustable sights which was a must. Good luck!

Nut

deertracker

I love my LC9. Carry it on the ankle as a backup while working. Can’t even tell it is there.
    DT

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If your not into guns then I recommend your first carry be a wheel gun. Not necessary but a recommendation for several good reasons. Ease of use. Reliable. SAFE. If your into guns and are comfortable with autos then nevermind. Good luck. Again we should be having an IDO shoot in the near future which would be a perfect time to try all the popuar ones since most of us have one or the other.

johnee

Quote:

I’ve also held and really like the Bersa Thunder 380 CC which feels great and seems realistic to carry, however I’m slightly turned off since it’s a .380.

Pete

Why are you turned off by a .380? Is this that old chestnut about the .380 not having enough “knockdown power”?

What a steaming heap that one is! The .40 and .45 guys say the same thing about the 9 MM.

A 380 can drive a 100 grain slug at 900 FPS. I can assure you, anyone standing in front of the pointy end of the aforementioned slug is going to feel major, major amounts of pain at that velocity.

Yes, a 9 MM is 200 FPS faster. Will that matter to any perp that finds himself on the wrong end? Let me put it this way. Is anyone out there volunteering to get shot with a 380 because, hey, it doesn’t have that much knockdown power? Hmmmm. Didn’t think so.

I don’t carry, but at home I susbscribe to the theory that the best weapon is the one you a) have readily accessible and b) know how to use. If you like the 380 and will carry the 380 and you dedicate your self to learning how to shoot the 380, then get the 380.

Grouse

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks all for the great responses, lots of different options. I’ve held the LC9 and thought it fit pretty nice but wasn’t a fan of the long DA trigger (even tho I know it’s long for a reason).

Quote:

Why are you turned off by a .380? Is this that old chestnut about the .380 not having enough “knockdown power”?

Basically…

I personally have nothing against the round and I’ve read review after review about how reliable the Bersa is, but for every great review there is someone knocking the .380 caliber for a carry weapon.

From the majority of handguns I’ve handled, the weapons that seem practical for CC don’t seem fun for plinking and viceversa. I’d love to find the best of both worlds so that muscle memory and staying proficient with my gun at the range will transfer over to a carry scenario.

Thanks again for all the feedback

deertracker

After shooting thousands of rounds through my Glock the trigger on the LC9 threw me off at first. Now that I’ve shot it more I’m shooting it really well. With all gun purchases you need to decide what you want to accomplish. My next purchase will be a revolver. They are a gun that will never fail to cycle even if it is jabbed into someones ribcage in a close quarters fight.
    DT

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Not really sure why all the worry about size and knockdown power. I remember in the military doing CPR on a guy one night with a tiny little .25 hole in his chest. His wife wasn’t a great shot. It squirted with every compression. He didn’t make it.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The issue of “knock-down” power is simply the preparation of mathmatical possibilities. People picture the pain of any bullet being enough to stop an assailant and if this were true, we’d never carry anything beyond a .22LR. It’s easy to imagine this when it is us, the sane ones, trying to imagine being hit by a bullet. We cringe at the thought and for all of us in our right minds, any bullet WOULD be enough to sway our decision process.

However, how many attackers, or assailants, are in their right minds when committing a violent crime? A drug addict is your most likely criminal these days and because of the chemicals they have floating around inside of them, they might not even feel your shot let alone have it influence a change of direction or motivation.

Knock-down power is all about shutting down the physical capabilities of a body, hopped up on drugs or not. A person CAN continue to pursue you and fight you for quite a while if the bullet does not end the situation immediately for you. The average man can cover….. I think it’s 20’/second…. so how much time given someone’s starting distance do you have to really put an end to their intentions? Very little. And unless that bullet, or bullets, shut the body down, who knows what they’ll accomplish on you before their body expires from a fatal, but not paralyzing wound?

THIS….. is the core concern behind knock-down power. Ending things immediately, beyond the voluntary, conscious decision of the attacker.

johnee

This thing about an assailant being hopped up on drugs and therefore being somehow immune to masses of lead slamming into his chest at 900 fps comes up all the time. The problem is that there’s no end to the bigger = better aruement. If a 380 isn’t enough, then why is a 9mm enough? Compared to a .45, a 9 MM is puny. Well, then what about a .357 Mag? Well, that’s a girly gun compared to the .44 Mag, now there’s some knockdown power! Well that’s nothing compared to my .454 . . .

Where does it end?

These days with so many compact choices on the market, there’s no need to limit yourself to the 380. But there’s no valid reason to discount it either. Even if the perp is jacked up on drugs, if he gets whacked with a good 100 grain from a 380, he’s going down. Sure, hitting him with a 50 BMG would have done MORE damage, but getting the job done is getting the job done. And if the shooter has good training, the perp is going to get whacked with way more than just one 100 grain, he’s going to be ventilated like a piece of swiss cheese.

Grouse

bowhuntmn

I think it ends somewhere around .500 S&W?

Grouse, I am in total agreement with your views on caliber size. But mostly I agree with using what weapon is available, and what you are comfortable with.

My knife that I carry on a daily basis is also “concealed”. Why do I feel that way? Because it’s always with me, and I am damn proficient with a blade in close quarters.

There are valid points on both sides of the caliber argument, but it goes without saying that its no different than cars, clothes, homes, archery equipment, etc.; there is a reason for variety. Your variety should equal your application, and it should adapt with varying situations. My variety consists mostly of the .40 S&W and 10mm kind as those are my two favorite calibers; so close, but yet so very different.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is not a one clear caliber that “does it all”. Well, unless you are shooting a 10mm.

tarcar

The Kahr CM9 in 9mm is a quality compact piece in your price range and has a good trigger too.

tdhowen

I’ve got the LC9 with crimson trace lazer, nice little gun.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Remember what your enemy might be carrying? A lot of 9mm’s out there. A .380 is a short 9mm case. Go equal or one bigger.
    Practice, practice, practice…and empty the cylinder or clip, then reload…..
    Use what you can handle and what your comfortable with. If your not comfy w/a .45ACP, you won’t practice, and you will not be defending yourself or any one else. After your dead, the perp with take your nice .45 that you couldn’t shoot!, and use it against others.
    Think about it……
    Buy what fits and something that you’ll love to shoot, and PRACTICE..please

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thank you all – I appreciate the feedback.

I purchased a Glock 26 the other day – time to hit the range.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Congrats on the new Glock!!!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Great choice, I own two G26’s and am very happy with them!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Very cool!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.