Reloading vs. Buying Shotgun Shells

• Jira

This time of year that my gun club (SSP) has their “annual reloading sale” where members can buy reloading supplies and/or cases of shells at discounted prices.

Knowing that lead (and all metals) had gone up recently I started doing some figurin’ about what reloading would run me per box this year.

I shoot 3 dram, 1 1/8 7.5’s and 9’s (trap and skeet respectively).

Red dot powder 4lbs was at $49
    25# of 7.5 and/or 9 was at $41
    1000 primers at $30
    1000 wads at $20
    I have 1000’s of hulls… so $0 on them.

I took these prices and put them into a reloading calculator I found at this website: Shotshell Reloading Cost Calculator

The calculator uses grains instead of drams… so I found out that 1 dram = 27.34375 grains and I use 3 dram loads so 82.01325 grains.

The calculator also asks “How many decimal ounces in your load?”… they have a chart below the calculator which shows 1-1/8 = 1.125.

So I took all of this info and put it in the calculator. I came up with $7.72 per box (25 shells) or $0.31 a piece for reloads!!

My club is also selling cases of these shells brand new for $51.50 per case (10 boxes) or $5.15 per box through this sale.

Can buying new really be $2.57 ($7.72 – $5.15) per box cheaper? If so, it’s like I get a free box every week (I shoot 50 rounds) by buying versus reloading.

Someone please tell me what I’ve done wrong in figuring this out. This can’t be right?

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I shoot at West End in Rosemount. We bought componets from the club and 12ga 1 1/8 AA equiv are $4.71 a box to reload. I do know they calculated that using the current prices of their componets.

Mwal

todinaca
    Galesville, Wi

I think you can figure the cost by hand

primers 3 cents per shell
    wad 2 cents per shell
    Shot 12 cents per shell
    Powder 4 cents per shell

So, the total would be 21 cents per shell, times 25 shells would be abut 5.25 per box. Also, I think your computation on how much powder you’ll need is a little high. I think about 19-22 grains of red dot would be the proper amount for trap loads (going by memory).

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Anybody have any rifle reloading equipment they want to sell? PM me

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Hi Jon,

Quote:

I think about 19-22 grains of red dot would be the proper amount for trap loads (going by memory).

I agree with the power estimate for Red Dot..

Maybe you should just stick to catching Big Northerns

Jack..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.