Modern Muzzle loader guys?

• blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I recently purchased a CVA Optima, 26″ barrel. I am wondering about good hunting load combos. Anybody have experience with this gun and what is a good hunting load?

At this point I plan on starting with 245-250gr sabots from multiple makers. I used to own a CVA Firebolt and found 245gr Cabelas X-tended range sabots with 100gr powder gave me my best groups.

I am looking for a good hunting load as well. My 245gr sabots with 100gr pyrodex is not proven on game.

I do know if I went heavier with my sabot I lost accuracy with my Firebolt.

I know all guns will be different, just looking for combos that have worked in this gun for a starting point.

Any brand names of bullet/powder you found better I would appreciate the input.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

In my opinion 245 is plenty to big enough for any game. It sounds like your in a pretty good starting point to me.

jerry_ruffolo
    Manitowoc, WI

I think you’re on the right track. The hard part with muzzleloaders is getting balance and consistency with your loads, especially if you are using open sights. If you are using a scope, then you can adjust the windage/elevation accordingly as long as you use the same amount of powder and the same sabot each shot. I have two T/C Omega’s, with one having a 3×9 Nikon Omega BDC scope and the other with a Bushnell Trophy 1X scope. I treat them the same and have learned from shooting the first one how to sight in the second and what it’s capable of doing. I’m using 150 grains of American Pioneer (Jim Shockey brand) powder with a 250 gr. Shockwave sabot. I’ve shot three whitetails with this setup and none have made it 30 yards…..very accurate and lethal!!! Good luck.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Thanks much!

coppertop
    Central MN

I’m with Jerry on this with the 250 shockwaves but not sure a 26″ barrel will thoroughly burn 150 grains of powder. With open sights 100yrds is THEE furthest you will or should be shooting therefore 100 grains will still give you the speed you need. Also Shockey’s will make seating the bullet easier even without a spit patch. IMO stay away from any and all powerbelts easy to load but weight retention is nil.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Clarify what is wrong with powerbelts. I think thats what I bought this year and they worked great. Let me know
    what you mean

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thats what I shoot is power belts too, if theres something wrong with them Id also like to know. I have heard where some bullets go through without expanding much and knocking the animal down like a high powered rifle does, not producing enough shock to knock them down.

jerry_ruffolo
    Manitowoc, WI

I’ve never strayed from my Shockwaves, so I do not know anything about Powerbelts. I know guys who use them succesfully.

Yes, I agree with not using 150 grains of powder for an open sight weapon. Like I said, find the proper balance of powder/bullet and you will have accuracy. Find the proper load and sight in for 100 yards. With open sights you are actually sighting in that balance rather than you are the windage/elevation of the bullet. With a scope, be it either a 1X magnification or anything larger, you can account for the difference in elevation by adjusting the scope. Open sights aren’t quite as easy.

As for range with open sights, it depends on the marksman. If you shoot your weapon alot and become familiar with it, you can expect to be accurate out to 150-175 yards, but it takes many hours of practice, shooting under different conditions with a muzzleloader to get that accurate.

ChucklesU
    Manchester, Iowa

I use 100 grains of 777 with the Barnes bullet and sabot called the Expander MZ – 250 grain and as deadly as open sights go as far as I am comfortable to take a shot (less than 100 yards.) I had used the same general set-up in a TC hammerlock for years and when I had the chance to switch to an in-line it seemed like a natural starting point at the range. I acheived the accuracy I desired immediately so have seen no reason to change so far. The Barnes bullets are all copper and carry all their energy into the deer… deadly. They do have newer versions of these bullets that are spitzer shaped or have a polymer tip – but I need to use up the box of Expanders before I buy into newer designs… give them a try – they have ruined the day of every deer I have sent them after – and in short order.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Thanks ChucklesU, I will have to give them a try. Anyone know of an indoor range where a guy can shoot loaders?? It gets a little cold out there these days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.