Trapshooters-Favorite light loads?

• Brian Lyons

The time of year is here for bulk component orders. I have a favorite 1 oz load, but I’m curious about yours. Anyone have a pet 7/8 or 1 oz load to share with us recoil haters?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Fed 209A primer, 19 grains Red Dot, power piston wad, gold medal hull(2 3/4″). I like to mix 7 1/2 & 9 shot (1 oz) to give a little extra breaking power at a distance.

Not the lightest load out there, but the recoil is tolerable to me. You can go up to 19.5 grains, and as little as 18. These are also reasonably clean loads.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Fed 209A primer, 19 grains Red Dot, power piston wad, gold medal hull(2 3/4″). I like to mix 7 1/2 & 9 shot (1 oz) to give a little extra breaking power at a distance.

Not the lightest load out there, but the recoil is tolerable to me. You can go up to 19.5 grains, and as little as 18. These are also reasonably clean loads.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I started and finished with 700x. I’ll have to look up the load as I haven’t reloaded in 25 years. I’m going to Oakdale Gun Club this week to see if I still have my eye and the 25 year old reloads still work!

Ps I have a DL 366 auto reloader for sale somewhere in the classifieds. Few bags of #8 shot to go with it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I started and finished with 700x. I’ll have to look up the load as I haven’t reloaded in 25 years. I’m going to Oakdale Gun Club this week to see if I still have my eye and the 25 year old reloads still work!

Ps I have a DL 366 auto reloader for sale somewhere in the classifieds. Few bags of #8 shot to go with it.

todinaca
    Galesville, Wi

Fisher Dave’s is the same load I shot – except it was for skeet. I don’t think there was ever a misfire with the federal primers and red dot powder. This is also a good load to help the farmers out with blackbird problems

Just a quick question for the rest of you – in my younger days when I shot alot more than I do now, we picked up the used shot cups from the local trap range, and used those for reloading. We’d just sort through the ones that were too badly damaged. Never had a problem doing this either, although it addes some time to make sure the shot cup was good enough.

todinaca
    Galesville, Wi

Fisher Dave’s is the same load I shot – except it was for skeet. I don’t think there was ever a misfire with the federal primers and red dot powder. This is also a good load to help the farmers out with blackbird problems

Just a quick question for the rest of you – in my younger days when I shot alot more than I do now, we picked up the used shot cups from the local trap range, and used those for reloading. We’d just sort through the ones that were too badly damaged. Never had a problem doing this either, although it addes some time to make sure the shot cup was good enough.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

When i was shooting i loaded my own @ 7/8 oz. of 7 1/2 shot. An 8 flute windjammer wad so it opened up right out of the barrell, ficcohce 209 primer because in the federal primers i got a couple of misfires, never had one in the ficcohe,s and a no. 25 chargeing die for 700x powder. I tried to remember how many grains that is but it skipped my mind. I found these loads to be fast enough that i could sight in on the leading edge of the pidgeon and get cleans breaks. These loads are pretty darned fast with little kick and i could shoot for a few hours without getting much shoulder fatigue at all. I used 2 3/4″ casings and ran them through a bandsaw with a guide to shorten them down for the crimp or i’d get excess plastic left in the fold. I don’t remember what they measured eigther but after they were shortened they folded just right.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

When i was shooting i loaded my own @ 7/8 oz. of 7 1/2 shot. An 8 flute windjammer wad so it opened up right out of the barrell, ficcohce 209 primer because in the federal primers i got a couple of misfires, never had one in the ficcohe,s and a no. 25 chargeing die for 700x powder. I tried to remember how many grains that is but it skipped my mind. I found these loads to be fast enough that i could sight in on the leading edge of the pidgeon and get cleans breaks. These loads are pretty darned fast with little kick and i could shoot for a few hours without getting much shoulder fatigue at all. I used 2 3/4″ casings and ran them through a bandsaw with a guide to shorten them down for the crimp or i’d get excess plastic left in the fold. I don’t remember what they measured eigther but after they were shortened they folded just right.

Brian Lyons

I like 17.5 grs. red dot, 209p primer, tgt 12 wad in a Rem sts hull. 1200fps with tolerable recoil.

Mossy Dan, if your using a mec reloader a #25 bushing will drop approx. 15.9 grains of 700x. Matched with a published recipe that powder charge should provide a very soft shooting load.

I have a rule of thumb that I never break. If a recipe ins’t published by a powder or other component manufacturer, I don’t load it. Safety first

Brian Lyons

I like 17.5 grs. red dot, 209p primer, tgt 12 wad in a Rem sts hull. 1200fps with tolerable recoil.

Mossy Dan, if your using a mec reloader a #25 bushing will drop approx. 15.9 grains of 700x. Matched with a published recipe that powder charge should provide a very soft shooting load.

I have a rule of thumb that I never break. If a recipe ins’t published by a powder or other component manufacturer, I don’t load it. Safety first

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I believe that was the first rule of reloading.

As for using recycled wads…..jez they are the least expensive part of the shell…unless you count the cases…why would you want to even mess with picking those up…let alone the saftey factor?

Be safe out there guys!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I believe that was the first rule of reloading.

As for using recycled wads…..jez they are the least expensive part of the shell…unless you count the cases…why would you want to even mess with picking those up…let alone the saftey factor?

Be safe out there guys!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Big B, what a sally. Be a man and shoot 3 1/2″ mag turkey loads and be done with it

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Big B, what a sally. Be a man and shoot 3 1/2″ mag turkey loads and be done with it

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Shoot a Super X2, and you will never have to worry about recoil. I am not saying that to be funny, it is true. I shot my X2 for years on a trap league in Hudson. Shot Dave’s formula give or take, and shot AA Heavies.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Shoot a Super X2, and you will never have to worry about recoil. I am not saying that to be funny, it is true. I shot my X2 for years on a trap league in Hudson. Shot Dave’s formula give or take, and shot AA Heavies.

Brian Lyons

todinaca;
    Sorry I missed your question on used wads. Don’t do it!! Too many potential problems can arise. Inconsistent pressures and migrating powder could cause squib loads and/or components that don’t clear the barrel. Brian K is right, wads are cheap, from 10 to 16 dollars per 1000 depending on brand preference.

Good shooting……..B

Brian Lyons

todinaca;
    Sorry I missed your question on used wads. Don’t do it!! Too many potential problems can arise. Inconsistent pressures and migrating powder could cause squib loads and/or components that don’t clear the barrel. Brian K is right, wads are cheap, from 10 to 16 dollars per 1000 depending on brand preference.

Good shooting……..B

Brian Lyons

Hey Tuck, how old is your x2? Is it a trap model or field gun?
    I heard this weekend that winchester is done with shotguns. If this is true yours is getting better every day

Brian Lyons

Hey Tuck, how old is your x2? Is it a trap model or field gun?
    I heard this weekend that winchester is done with shotguns. If this is true yours is getting better every day

Brian Lyons

Quote:

Hi Mike, I’ll make you a deal. You come down to the club and we’ll shoot a 200 bird program, no score kept. You shoot your 3.5 inch turkey loads and I’ll shoot my “salllys”. At the end of 200 birds if you still remember your name I’ll buy supper ……Deal?

Brian Lyons

Quote:

Hi Mike, I’ll make you a deal. You come down to the club and we’ll shoot a 200 bird program, no score kept. You shoot your 3.5 inch turkey loads and I’ll shoot my “salllys”. At the end of 200 birds if you still remember your name I’ll buy supper ……Deal?

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

I heard something on that line about winchester two but is was that they are are not going too make the old lever repeaters any more

I shoot a superX2 with super handy-cap 7/8oz factory loads at my 4 rounds of trap a week in durand and like that setup as of now

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

I heard something on that line about winchester two but is was that they are are not going too make the old lever repeaters any more

I shoot a superX2 with super handy-cap 7/8oz factory loads at my 4 rounds of trap a week in durand and like that setup as of now

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Big B- Ummmm……I am not real hungry So, no thanks

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just finished your wild turkey Wats?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just finished your wild turkey Wats?

Brian Lyons

Quote:

No problem Mike, if I ever get to shoot with ya, I’ll buy any way

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.