tear drop jig question

• chris
    northern Illinois

I’m looking at getting a new jig mold and have been reading that the teardrop style jig like the h2o precision jig and the hutch’s jigs seem to be popular with river walleye anglers and I was just wondering why they are better than the round head jig, I am new to mississippi river walleye and just want to get the right mold. My other option was the minnow head mold with wire keeper but it is more panfish sized and I haven’t had much issue with catching them with round head jigs I make. Thanks

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The tear drops just cut current better and are a sleeker all around shape. Think of it this way, do minnows have sleek heads that come to a point like a tear drop, or a big round blob like a round head? Both will work, but I feel that the tear drop looks more natural and cuts current better.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I agree with what wimwuen said. However, my experience has shown me that aspirin head jigs cut the current better than a tear drop. My experience has been with the vmc mooneye jigs. Not sure if you can find a mold like that.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ll agree with both guys, but cutting current isn’t necessarily what you always want!

Personally I’ve caught just as many fish on round type jigs, especially fireball to a point where I dont think most days the profile of the jig makes a difference.

Many of the tear drop styles do have fancy paint jobs though, and that might lure anglers to them.

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

Chris –

I bought the Do-It tear drop mold a few years ago, best decision in my book. the jig works great in rivers obviously, but works just as good in lakes. whats nice about the mold is that you can do oversized hooks for the bigger plastics, just like the H2O jigs, and the recessed pockets for sticker eyes make it really easy to paint up a nice looking jig. Saves you some $$ as well in the long game.

Crankbait

Can’t remember the last time I used a round head jig for eyes other than maybe on a slip bobber setup. I use Hutch and Precision style jigs almost exclusively these days. My preference for them is based on their ability to displace a little more water on a casting and swimming retrieve. For casting and pitching in particular, they are the best by far IMO. Totally agree in that cutting current isn’t always what you want on the river, rather, finding a balance is more important.

That teardrop, or bullet shape, has a little more surface area behind the eye, putting the connection point with the line more towards the front of the jig which helps it swim better. The elongated shape also helps maintain control when sweeping your presentation along with the current while working specific holding areas. Like Wimwuen mentioned, the streamlined form really helps it maneuver through the current more efficiently, but not so much that it plummets to the bottom.

For strictly vertical jigging, the round head of course works great, although the teardrop shape does a fine job there as well. It’s just a much more versatile jig profile. waytogo

chris
    northern Illinois

Jake Hendrickson what size and style hooks do you like in your jigs, I’ve poured some of the sickle hooks for panfish jigs but haven’t used them yet and was wondering if you had used them or plain old eagle claw j hooks also what size do you like, it seems like the 4/0 would be a little too big.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

1/0 or 2/0 will do everything you need. Get the Mustad hooks.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Here Chris…..this is the mold you might want to think about. As for hooks, Eagle Claw makes the Lil Nasty sickle style hook that is incredible in all sizes that will fit in this mold. I;m in my second season of casting the hooks into panfish and walleye jigs and won’t use anything but them.

The head sizes in this mold will cover most of the walleye sized needs you’ll run into unless you are casting the super duty sized ones and there is another mold to handle that need too.

The wire keepers are a great way to go but add to the cost of the jigs. They do not split or tear plastic when its cold like the collared jigs will. If you snoop the internet you can find after-market wires for much less.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have the teardrop mold with the bait keepers, and I use one hook size bigger than recommended for each size. It says right in the mold what size to use, just go one size bigger.

chris
    northern Illinois

I have used the little nasty hooks and like how they pour better than the matazou sickle hooks. I think the mold says 4/0 for the 1/2oz and that seemed a little big for me I think I will stick to 2/0 or maybe 3/0 max for now like I said I am new to walleye fishing. I have found the keepers pretty cheap at captainhooks website, hopefully my mold will be here Saturday so I can start casting this weekend. Thanks for all your help hopefully I will have some pictures of fish I have caught with my jigs before too long.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.