Tater Tot Hotdish

• ThunderLund78

Alright everyone – asking for help. Hit me with your best Tater Tot Hotdish recipe. Getting tired of our usual – it’s really good but kind of “down the middle,+ – burger, onion CoM soup, corn S&P, maybe a couple random seasonings and Tots. I’ve tried a few different ones I’ve found online and they’re good, but hoping to find a new standard.

Let’s hear ’em…

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Ours is the same as yours except we also use a can of cream o chicken soup. Just had it the other night. Occasionally experiment with seasonings. Garlic powder is a common addition. One thing I’ll sometimes add on my own plate is drizzle on some sriracha sauce for a little extra kick.

JEREMY
    BP

Do you just use corn or the mixed veggies with beans and carrots? Not sure there is a whole lot to change. Ive grown to like it better with mashed tatos on top instead of tater tots

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I am following. I feel like we have so much of the same meals at my house and would love to another recipe for a good hot dish.

isu22andy

Cream of mushroom soup , mixed with burger , and sweet corn . Then on top line it with cheese slices , then put Tator tot rounds up top on the cheese slices. .

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I will mix it up a bit. Normally do: sauté sweet onions, mushroom pieces chopped smaller and sauté with garlic, ground beef, French style green beans, cream corn, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup. Mix together in a 9×12 pan. Add a small amount of shredded Coby cheese, than tot it up.

Dan
    Southeast MN

We do the hamburger, one can of cream of celery, one can of cream of chicken, maybe 2 soup cans worth of white rice, and the tator tots.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Only a monster would put cheese on TTHD.

We do cream of celery and frozen green beans. In my opinion it sort of is what it is. Not much you can do without making it turning it into completely different.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Sharon’s Tater Tot Hotdish

1 lb ground meat
    1 finely chopped onion
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 3/4 cups corn
    2 cups green beans
    1 4oz can mushrooms
    1 package frozen tater tots (28 oz)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Brown the meat, and add the onions to cook until soft.
    Coat the inside of a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and add the meat/onions in the bottom.
    Layer the corn and green beans on next.
    Mix the soups together in a bowl and then spread over top.
    Drain liquid from mushrooms, chop more finely if desired, and add them on top.
    Season as desired with salt/pepper/garlic, etc.
    Place tater tots on top and bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes.

Sprinkle with shredded cheese of choice and Top The Tater before serving and enjoy!

isu22andy

Only a monster would put cheese on TTHD.

We do cream of celery and frozen green beans. In my opinion it sort of is what it is. Not much you can do without making it turning it into completely different.

Cheese is what makes the dish ! I like the guy who said white rice . Nice additive .

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mix in some smoked brisket. Drizzle a little BBQ sauce on it.

Jimmy Jones

I’ll make a batch of sloppy joes and put it in a casserole then top with tater tot’s. Bake long enough at 350 to brown the taters, then serve up. The remaining sloppy joes go on buns the next day or two.

I’ve done the same thing only added taco seasoning to the sloppy joes before covering with the tots.

onepine
    Elk River

We had it tonight. Hamburger, chopped garlic, onion , can of mixed vegetable’s, can of cream of chicken, tator tots on top. If I make it it gets cheese if Mama makes it it doesn’t. I like the sloppy joe idea!!

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Taco Tots is something we do…

1# ground beef with taco seasoning
    1 can of campbells fiesta cheese
    2 cans rotel (drained)
    small container of sour cream
    jar of texas 2 corn salsa
    Top with tots and then with shredded cheese

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just got in from the woods and the lady made this.

Attachments:
    1. 20231014_191959-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I used to love tthd but about 20 years ago we had it right when I got the stomach flu. Threw up after and can hardly eat it since. bawling

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I believe third weekend of riffle season in greater downtown Glen, MN the Pine Inn is hosting Tot fest. Their 1st ever tutor tot hotdish contest. Not sure if I’ll enter a dish but pretty sure I’ll be there sampling some.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Taco Tots is something we do…

This is a great idea. I know what I am making tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

And thanks for not sharing how your great great grandma did 5 pages of something and forgot to share the ingredients. Wow it is painful trying to find recipes online. The recipe and directions seem verbatim from site to site. The sh!tty story is the only thing that seems to change.

ThunderLund78

And thanks for not sharing how your great great grandma did 5 pages of something and forgot to share the ingredients. Wow it is painful trying to find recipes online.

I hate that too! All these influencers have to set the mood and tell you about how their recipe fits into their charmed, perfect life rotflol

Most of those pages have a “Skip to the recipe” button, though.

I’ve often toyed with the idea of starting some type of twisted cooking blog page page where I make up ridiculous and anti-feel good stories about each recipe.

Riverrat

That would fall in line with goulash/tomato hot-dish for me. My mom would make me sit at the table until we ate that nasty stuff no matter how long it took. Elbow Macaroni, Tomato Juice, Stewed Tomatoes, and ground beef. That’s it. The tomatoes are seasoning enough apparently. Tie your child to a chair with a dish towel and enjoy while they whale in terror from this concoction. I actually hated tater tot hot-dish because of this too, but It at least got flavor and seasoning over time.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That would fall in line with goulash/tomato hot-dish for me. My mom would make me sit at the table until we ate that nasty stuff no matter how long it took. Elbow Macaroni, Tomato Juice, Stewed Tomatoes, and ground beef. That’s it. The tomatoes are seasoning enough apparently. Tie your child to a chair with a dish towel and enjoy while they whale in terror from this concoction. I actually hated tater tot hot-dish because of this too, but It at least got flavor and seasoning over time.

Man, goulash was one of my favorite meals growing up. Slap a spoonful of it on top of a slice of buttered bread, love it. Although it was definitely seasoned with salt and pepper. I believe she also put onions in it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I believe she also put onions in it.

No onions here, Ma always made it with celery. I also liked it growing up and it was served with buttered bread always. waytogo

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I made Toco Tots last night and it was good. Next time I will have to leave out the green chiles since that made it too spicy for my son and just place them on my plate. We more or less used it as chip dip with corn chips. I am making a burrito with the leftovers adding lettuce for lunch today. I could have added an egg and made it a breakfast burrito.

Great suggestion jbg1219, thank you.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.