? taking a child across border without a parent

• Tony Capecchi

Hello: I’m taking my son (5) and Dad to Aikens Lake in Manitoba this summer and someone mentioned I might need extra info for the border crossing since my wife will not be with us. My son has a passport, but does anyone know if extra documentation is required since only one of his two legal guardians will be with Joe as we cross the border?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Tony

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

For Ontario you need a notarized letter from the childs mother stating that she knows you are taking the child on a fishing trip to ????? for the Dates of ???? and approves of the trip. THey may ask child if there mothers knows as well

Mwal

Timmy

I have crossed with my son dozens of times. I typically have a notarized letter that my wife signs stating that she consents to him crossing the border with me at any time during the year. There have been many times I have crossed without the letter, having forgotten it at home, and I have never had so much as a single problem because of that. There have been several occasions where the CA agent has commented that the letter was helpful and “thanks for having it”. He has never had a passport, just a birth cert and the notarized letter.

Enjoy the trip!!

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I had the same question last year. i brought a notarized letter. The border agent never asked for one so it stayed in the truck. I am going again this year with my 12 year old and a few other father-son combos. i will be bringing a letter again and put the letter on the “to do” list for the other guys coming with as well. Never let a 2 minute stop at a bank be the reason for border headache. Also, NEVER give a border agent anything they do not ask for, even if you think you are being helpful.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have always taken a simple consent letter written and signed by my wife stating that we are married and that she grants permission for [name of child] to travel with me to Canada on [start date to end date].

Include your wife’s name, address, and phone number where she can be reached.

IMPORTANT. In the unlikely but certainly possible scenario where a border agent would try to call your wife to verify something, it is critical that she actually answer the phone.

If your wife is anything like mine, she will be multi-tasking on Facebook and Pinterest when the border agent calls and then decide not to actually answer the phone because it’s an unknown number. She will then start texting with her bestie and ignore the second and third call as well. Make sure your wife knows when you are about to cross the border and understands she needs to actually answer any and all phone calls during this timeframe. I call my wife 20 minutes before we cross the border so she knows this is the one time this year where she needs to actually answer her phone.

There is no requirement that I have ever seen that this letter be notarized and I have never done so.

Grouse

bigpike

Its a good idea to have your wife available for a phone call around the time you cross, a rather easy task in the age of cell phones. A border agent that is suspect could ask for it. I took my nephew many times over before he was 18 as his mother and father had passed away. My sister was his legal guardian but we never had any major issues other than the typical line of questions.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

I would bring a letter and birth certificate when I took my son to Canada….

CaptainMusky

There is no requirement that I have ever seen that this letter be notarized and I have never done so.

Grouse

I just got back from Canada with my 13 year old son along. Last time I had a notarized letter, no questions, issues whatsoever. This year I had a signed (not notarized letter) with all contact info, etc and the border agent was quite testy about it saying that it is “supposed” to be notarized, but it does not state that on the website. I said I read somewhere that it didnt need to be and she said “not on our website”. So, of course I look again and it doesnt say anything about needing to be notarized, but does state that you should include a photo of the spouse’s passport.

Anyways, we got in fine, but she was sure crabby about it. Next time its either going to be a passport or a notarized letter.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Grouse

I just got back from Canada with my 13 year old son along. Last time I had a notarized letter, no questions, issues whatsoever. This year I had a signed (not notarized letter) with all contact info, etc and the border agent was quite testy about it saying that it is “supposed” to be notarized, but it does not state that on the website. I said I read somewhere that it didnt need to be and she said “not on our website”. So, of course I look again and it doesnt say anything about needing to be notarized, but does state that you should include a photo of the spouse’s passport.

Anyways, we got in fine, but she was sure crabby about it. Next time its either going to be a passport or a notarized letter.

You can cross the border with a different persons passport…I’ve seen if done! And yes, both parties new it but it wasn’t until at the border it was discovered…I’m taking a husband grab their spouses passport by accident. The key is not to be a jerk or idiot. You don’t need a motorized letter as just experienced. That border agent was in a pissy mode and sometimes that’s all it takes to cross or not.

Sometimes I’m glad it’s not all black and white…other times I wish it was.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.