? taking a child across border without a parent

• Tony Capecchi

Hello: I’m taking my son (5) and Dad to Manitoba this summer and someone mentioned I might need extra info for the border crossing since my wife will not be with us. My son has a passport, but does anyone know if extra documentation is required since only one of his two legal guardians will be with Joe as we cross the border?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Tony

munchy
    NULL

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/~/children—child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child’s other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating “I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission.”

Tony Hanson

It’s pretty well covered in Munchy’s link, but having done this with a step-child, I can give you first hand experience. I spoke directly with both US and CA customs agents ahead of time to verify, but as mentioned above, a simple letter from your wife stating that your son has her permission to go with you. Include the dates and location that you will be staying, and in my case, we had the letter notarized when it was signed. I had no trouble going there or back using this letter and a birth certificate.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.