Tackle Hacks

• Matthew Sandys

As we are getting ready for some open water in a few weeks and organizing our tackle boxes. I thought we could share some hacks. I can not take credit for it, my father in law found it someplace. But safety pins for terminal tackle. I got some 2.5 off amazon that is colored, but any will work. Please share if you have some and if it has been done before sorry.

Attachments:
    1. 20180428_105011.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Now that’s quite an idea.

Are these pins coated or are they plastic of some sort? They appear to not have any metal to have the tackle sit on which could be a starting point for rust, which is a big plus.

Rod Bent

Good hack. Could work on lures too if the eye was big enough.

Matthew Sandys

Now that’s quite an idea.

Are these pins coated or are they plastic of some sort? They appear to not have any metal to have the tackle sit on which could be a starting point for rust, which is a big plus.

Yes, they have a plastic/rubber coating on them.

tim hurley

I’ve glued velcro onto one part of my boat and the other end of the velcro to a solar flashlight-when I’m out the thing is charging, if on a whim I fish after dark I don’t have to dig around for the flashlight its just right in my boat and all charged up-and it floats.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I use old film canisters (what film came in) for my terminal stuff. You guys of a certain age can google film canisters to find out what they are. jester

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not for tackle but.

I use a old plastic coffee can for my old line when I retie. Take the cover and using a utility knife make 3 cuts across the top. When launching the boat grab a few rocks and throw them in the bottom of the can for weight to keep it from blowing around. When you cut off your line ball it up in your hand and stick your hand in the top of the can. When you open your hand the line stays inside. Much easier then having line blowing around or getting in the water.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Haven’t quite figured it out yet but here is a dewalt tough system box.

Attachments:
    1. 20180510_192217.jpg

fishspike

Not tackle but I Velcroed my seat cushion right under my steering counsel so it is always there for throwing

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Great idea fishspike! I’m gonna have to copy that one

Bernard Campos

I use old film canisters (what film came in) for my terminal stuff. You guys of a certain age can google film canisters to find out what they are. jester

I’m old enough to remember when the only people who carried film canisters were photographers and pot smokers. Anytime you saw a guy pull a film canister out of his pocket you knew he was going to fire up. I never used them ’cause I didn’t want the hassle of a CO or cop thinking I had weed. In the ’70s around here, driving down the road with Robin Trower blasting was considered probable cause.

Matthew Sandys

Not tackle but I Velcroed my seat cushion right under my steering counsel so it is always there for throwing

This is brilliant!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

I’m old enough to remember when the only people who carried film canisters were photographers and pot smokers. Anytime you saw a guy pull a film canister out of his pocket you knew he was going to fire up. I never used them ’cause I didn’t want the hassle of a CO or cop thinking I had weed. In the ’70s around here, driving down the road with Robin Trower blasting was considered probable cause.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Once again great idea! I will definitely try that but I think I will do it to the back of my rear seat. Now if anyone had an idea on how to keep the dang net out of the way.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I love that safety pin idea!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Best way to keep the net out of the way? I found two things that worked. One was kinda expensive and the other nearly free.

I bought a 20′ boat and throw the net up on the front deck. Out of the way all the time. grin

Other thing is I don’t catch any fish so really no need for one. doah

Feel free to use either option. jester

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

@Fishspike

Did you just use adhesive-backed velcro on the seat cushion? I like the idea.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

My buddy swears by “elastics” for his crank bait storage.

Attachments:
    1. bait.jpg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.