switching to a hub shack

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

Looking at switching to one of the hub style shack from my 2 man frabil flip over. Looking for something with more room for taking the kid fishing. Anyone switch and then regret it?

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

In my experience hubs leave you less mobile, as it is too easy to get comfortable and not want to move. However, they are much more comfortable and spacious to the sled variety, which is why I prefer them.

AaronMoore

If you go with a hub, look at the hub part. I had a clam that……..we shall say the wind won, any how they have plastic parts in there hubs which just broke (over nine of them) see attached. So get one with metal hubs complete if that is possible??

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0736.jpg

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I actually went the other way around by ditching the hub for a flip up. The tipping point for me was the added production associated with using a hub in the wind. You’re looking at setting ice screws. I fit into the wander style so it was something I didn’t want to deal with. I just wanted to pick up, pull the sled and set back up. The flips ups are also better if you just want to use it as a wind break (i.e. no heater).

In terms of Hub vs Flip up it comes down to how mobile do you want to be and what are you willing to compromise. The flip ups are the best house to pick up and move but you add weight to gain space. The hubs get the space for the weight but step up the production value every time you want to move. If you don’t move much it may be a good fit. You can always hole hop and leave as a warming house.

Eskimo2566

I have an eskimo 6120i and love it. It fits me, my 2 kids, my wife, and still has plenty of room for equipment. If you don’t need that much room, there are plenty of mid size options. I recommend the insulated fabric; it was -9 couple days ago, and we were in sweatshirts with a Big Buddy running. Clam hubs don’t have removable windows. Eskimo and most of the other brands do – they velcro in.

I bought a small 2 man hub for when I go out by myself or with another buddy. I thought it would be quick. I like to move around and even with the small hub, it was a pain. Luckily there was no wind, so I could just pull it around and didn’t have to anchor it. But when the fish moved, I had to move my hub to the hole, go back and grab my heater and chair. My buddy had a one man flip over and pulled his whole sled around while checking holes. When he found the fish, he just sat down, flipped his shelter, and was fishing. So, thats the route I went. Got rid of my 2 man hub and bought a 1 man flip over, which I am selling by the way. It’s an Eskimo quick flip 1 man. I want to get the Inferno Wide one. I have it posted in the classifieds.

TipUpFishOn

The last two posts make good points about the added production of a HUB. Saturday I was out in negative temps and 10-15 mph winds. I was alone but brought my clam big foot along because of how cold it was. While trying to screw in the ice anchors in those conditions I would’ve traded for a flipover in a heartbeat.
    I think that another aspect is the conditions in which you fish. If you normally go out in warmer temps with your kid, I would think that a HUB would be nice as a base camp and you could still be mobile outside. But if you fish in colder weather and still want that mobility, I think a flipover would be better. I opted for a HUB for when I have company but I mostly fish alone and when I do I hole hop outside with warm clothes.

CaptainMusky

I don’t have a hub currently, but I am considering getting one. I am in a bit of a different situation than some of you I think. Currently I have 2 otter lodges. I just bought a full thermal. I needed the space for when I take all of my boys with and I couldn’t pass up the deal I got on the lodge. So here I sit with 2 lodges. I thought if we all went out then I would pull both houses, well that is going to require having a bracket on the back of one sled so I can pull both of them at the same time OR I am forced to make multiple trips.
    This got me thinking, maybe I should just sell my older Lodge and get a hub. When I go and not have all of the boys with I can just use the lodge, but if everyone goes I can throw the hub in the otter and set up my very own community out there.
    What kept me from buying a hub before was the fact that I have a ton of gear and the hub forces you to have something else to haul it all out there. I generally do not go on the ice unless I can ride my ATV because pulling my stuff by hand isn’t much fun and the boys of are little assistance.
    So, if I sell the one lodge I can go and buy an insulated hub unit that would be used when everyone goes.
    Anyone want to buy a blue camo otter lodge? I have reflectix in it, cover, tow bar and a very high quality LED light strip (not those cheap ones found in stores) the house is quite warm. I would sell it cheap just to get rid of it.

TipUpFishOn

CaptainMusky – A nice way of transporting a lot of gear and a HUB shelter is a jetsled. I bought one, put furring strips on the bottom, and added some $6 skis from goodwill. Runs nice and smooth. I’m sure there are ways of towing one behind an ATV as well.

404 ERROR
    MN

I purchased a hub this year and I wouldn’t say I regret it, but I definitely like the flip-over style much better. The only time I can see myself pulling the hub out again would be for spearing or taking multiple newbie fishers and/or children out.

The reason the free-market works is that not all people have the same needs. Hubs are great for some, I have seen the amount of hubs almost triple in the last 2 years. In fact, I was the only flip-over house out of maybe 10 houses on a small metro lake last week…I moved a few times, they did not…

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

Hubs just make sense with children, hopefully you can find a productive spot or they can be a pain to move. The space when children are in the mix is invauable. My brother got the big clan hub and absolutely loves it. That said flip overs are all about run and gun, I love that style but space and weight can be an issue.
    Hubs do make a nice base camp as noted above. You can set them up and if the weather is nice enough just punch holes and hole hop leaving the rest of the family nice and warm in the shack.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

If any one is looking for a hub-style shelter and your on the fence. Take a look at the Polar Bird brand. They have some amazingly built hubs. Lifetime warranty on all the poles and metal hub knuckles. They are fully insulated and come with a removable floor. i picked up their 3T model this year and love it. Im typically a flip-over guy, but the hubs are great for smelt fishing and sitting over your favorite hot spot. The cool thing about the floor is that you dont have to anchor the shelter down, and you can leave 200lbs of gear on the floor and pull it across the ice. Just secure your heater or lanterns so they dont burn anything. They are incredible IMO. Good luck.

jonbodin
    Plymouth, MN

I have both a Clam Nanook Thermal flipover and a Sharpell 6500 Hub. Like others have posted, it really depends on what you plan on doing. I love the Hub to plant in one spot when I have my kids. It has plenty of room and heats up pretty well with a Little Buddy heater. The Nanook is great for just myself and my son if that is all that is fishing. The downside of the Nanook is the extra weight as I am a walker and have to contend with a substantial hill to get to my lake. A smaller Hub like a Vista thermal is on my radar as the Sharpell is sometimes too big and defeats the whole weight saving purpose. It’s nice to have both options if possible!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

There are a few problems with hub’s. Wind is one, and having to screw anchors in is a pain and if you are alone, could be almost impossible. Standing/sitting on the ice, it defeats the purpose of a hub having to carry wood, carpet, or rubber floor mats. What do you do if the mats freeze to the ice, just leave it and let some lakeshore owner pick it off of their beach in the spring? Too each their own, everybody has their own style of fishing and what works for me don’t work for others. Trial and error is the best test, if it don’t work out you can always sell it and buy the other one.

WarEagle

I switched to a hub shack and then I switched right back to a flip over right away. I’m here to tell you that if you have wind the hubs just don’t do it unless you are willing to take the time to anchor down each side every time. Its not really feasible to me but to someone else they might be ok with it.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Having quality anchors makes a big difference! I’ve used several different brand hubs and the first thing I noticed while setting up my otter hub the first time was how well the anchors screw into the ice. I’ve never had a problem setting up a hub on the windiest days. Before you do anything, lay the hub on the ice and screw in an anchor right off the bat, then angle the hub and pull an adjacent corner tight and anchor it in making sure you line the first two anchors with your back to the wind. Put down a guy line anchor and run the slip string through and pull it tight, you are now ready to pop out all the hubs. I almost never anchor all 4 corners, just 2 if the wind is under 10mph and 3 if more than 10mph.

jig4em

I literally just bought a hub shelter. I’ll either use it with the kids or if I’m with my friends we use it as our gathering area. We set the hub up and leave our Buddy heater inside (off). We take off with our sleds hole hopping. If anyone is cold or whatever they can go back – one of us are usually within a 100 yards. We also cook outside of it and eat inside on our buckets.
    The shelter I bought is by Polar Bird. It comes with an insulated removable floor which is great when I’m with the kids. The hubs are all metal and solid fiberglass poles. They have a lifetime warranty. I was posting under hub shelter question.
    I’m not saying it’s better or worse than a flip over it’s just another option.

dld24

Keep the flipover and buy an eskimo hub with an otter sled…Great ice anchors and very well built house….My buddy bought a Clam hub and returned it…

ozzyky
    On water

I bring a drill and drill bit with to pre drill holes when anchoring down a hub Seems much easier. I’ll use bungee straps on occasion too

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Just wondering when you say a hub sucks in the wind how strong a wind are you talking about? 5 mph or 25? Just want 2 know because I bought a hub on close out last spring and haven’t used it up yet.

Just wondering when you say a hub sucks in the wind how strong a wind are you talking about? 5 mph or 25? Just want 2 know because I bought a hub on close out last spring and haven’t used it up yet.

Anything over 10mph requires a bit of attention and a tie-down on the wind side. Under 10, you can get by with a solid banking job. Over 20 means screwing minimally the wind side(s) down and the skirt, plus an extra hand setting it up is a good idea. Over 30 mph likely requires a vehicle as a wind break and a full screw-job. Over 40 and you’re looking at fully strapping it down, a full stretched footprint with screws, a wind block, internally placed support and possibly even spacer poles. Safety goggles in case the side or top pops into your face is probably advisable over 30.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Thanks fish. Good to know.

A – Aron
    Red Wing

solution to poor anchors is go buy ICE ANGLE ANCHOR’S! look them up.

Tom Dace

There’s a learning curve associated with getting a hub. If the first time you set it up is when you are on the ice prepare yourself to be frustrated. Get some experience setting it up and taking it down in a garage, basement, etc. The first time I got mine out on the ice it was a wrestling match that I eventually won and there was no wind. Since then I’ve become more proficient getting the thing up and have little to no issues by myself in heavier winds (25mph or so).

I like mine and won’t get rid of it. It’s not quite as mobile as a flip-over but mobile enough once I got used to it.

Whateverbites

I switched from a flip over to hub last year, these are the advantages I like with a hub vs. the flip over, there are advantages to both, but for my needs, hub is the winner.

-I have an 8×8′, there is enough room to fish 4 people comfortably if you want by putting one hole in each corner. there is a ton of room if its just 2 people

-the cost was a lot less, I wanted to upgrade to thermal. I got the Gander Mnt 8×8 ‘thermal for around $200, you can’t get into a flip over thermal for $200.

-it’s very light to drag out on a sled, or you can carry it on your back on early ice

-It takes up a ton less room in my garage

-easy to load and unload from truck, and can fit in a car or van if need be

– its not a big hassle to move once you get it the hang of it

reasons I can see staying with a flip over that didn’t fit my needs
    -if you never fish inside a shelter with more than 2 people
    -if you want to move a ton and stay in your shelter (if I am moving a lot I stay out of the shelter myself)

and to address the anchor, you want to always use at least one, even on a calm day you never know when a front will move through with a wind gust, its cheap insurance. normally I just put an anchor on the upwind side, you will get a feel for how many you need after awhile.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.