Swing Tongue Install

• Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I know this has been brought up in the past but I couldn’t find what I was looking for. Has anyone used the DIY Fulton swing tongue kit on a boat bigger than 17 feet (1775 pro v)? Any bad experiences? Looks like a fairly simple project otherwise. I don’t have a torque wrench but I’m sure finding one isn’t that hard.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I put one on a heavier boat than that with a V8. Zero issues, rock solid after a few years. I also had concerns about the tongue weight prior to install but just make your cut and get going on it- easy install. I wouldn’t worry about the torque wrench at all. It should have self locking crush nuts- get them good and tight and they’ll stay there.

Smellson

Any reason for doing the DIY version instead of the weld on? I put the weld on version on my previous trailer and it worked great. Just took the trailer with the part to a local welding shop and they had it done fast and cheap. I always just figured welded would be a lot less worry than the bolt on version.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Jake D said:

I don’t have a torque wrench but I’m sure finding one isn’t that hard.[/quote]

Just tighten the nuts till your elbow cracks then back em off half a turn. whistling

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t have a torque wrench but I’m sure finding one isn’t that hard.

Quick trip to Harbor Freight or their website will fix that right up. Use the 20 % off coupon.

I could never justify owning a lot of low-use tools were it not for HF. IMO, the torque wrench is also worth it just to be able to check that my wheel nuts have been correctly torqued whenever a shop touches my wheels/tires.

Grouse

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Some Fulton’s have had issues with breaking pivot bolts. I recommend switching out to a grade 8 bolt and checking it periodically for any slop. It should be tight with no play when both bolt and slip pin are in. These failures occur while on the road so it is something to pay attention too.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You can get a loaner torque wrench from O’Reilly Auto for free.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I install 1 last year love it with no problems

kidfish

I have a 1775 pro v with a Shorelandr trailer. Instead of buying the Fulton kit, I purchased the new swing tounge direct from Shorelandr. Works great and is solid as a rock. Took about 15 minutes to install.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I have a 1775 pro v with a Shorelandr trailer. Instead of buying the Fulton kit, I purchased the new swing tounge direct from Shorelandr. Works great and is solid as a rock. Took about 15 minutes to install.

This is the same set up I have so I will look into it. Thanks!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If you can go that route, do it. I was very happy with the Fulton that I installed, but it took at least 3 hours to do the install.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.