Want to learn Miis. River/Pepin/So. Lakes

• dr_hook
    Minnestrista

I am new to the area but not new to fishing. Born and raised in SD, I have numerous hours on Lake Oahe, the NE Glacial Lakes Region, as well as success in a number of the local tournaments held there. However, now living in Farmington, my experiences in large, shallow dishpan lakes lend little to rivers, current, and weedlines!
    I have a nice boat with no fishing partner. If you like walleyes, bass, and like to swap hunting stories too….and would like to spend some time sharing some of your experience on the local waters, feel free to email me @ [email protected]. My Crestliner Tournament Series 172 w/ Yamaha 115 4 stroke would enjoy your company!

dr_hook
    Minnestrista

Well, I did make the “maiden voyage” on Saturday in an attempt to see what I could learn on my own. With the X-15 out of commission and Lowrance sending me one this week, I had to rely on a spare X-55 to do the searching. On Pepin near Lake City, picked up 4 walleyes (1 legal) pulling 3 ways and husky jerks / shad raps. Amazed at how many fish I graphed in the channel (not certain what they were….nice lookin’ arcs though!). Now I understand the effectiveness of 3 ways….seems there is no other way to keep the bait on the breaklines. Anyway, my offer still stands…anyone who wants to get out and share some insight to this river/current gig…..or fish the Faribault lakes area….please contact me.

Jeff

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’d love to learn the Fairbault(sp?) lakes a little bit. My wife’s parents are in Austin, and I usually come back south o’ the border and chase smallmouths when we’re up for a visit.

I’ll try to post something next time we’re going.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

Dr. hook
    My son and I were on Pool 4 Saturday also and caught 25 to 30 walleyes and saugers pulling 3-ways and live bait at the head of the lake and long lining cranks from Maiden Rock down to Erickson Point on the Wis. side. I’m from Nebr. and several years ago I had the same goal as you to be a better river fisherman. Reading FTL and FTR is a great start but I would also take some guide trips. I’ve gone out with James Holst 3 times and learned tons of info that it would of taking me long time to learn on my own. I also joined Walleye Searchers of So. Mn. in Rochester and have fished with allot of great guys who can you show you around the river, the backwaters and the lake. If you want more info you can send me and email [email protected]

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I know the lake and river pretty well and would be glad to take you out for a day. Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] if you are still interested.

tgif

Dr. Hook,
    I fish the southern mn lakes, Miss. River Pool 4, Lake Pepin, as well as NE SD. I’d show you around some waters if your interested. I’m a rookie on SD water, but have had success there. I would like to make a trip out to SD with someone experienced on those waters. I’m not a largemouth fisherman, but I know of some of the better waters to point you in. Smallmouth are more to my liking and I’m a diehard walleye angler. Let me know if you want to wet a line sometime. TGIF

dr_hook
    Minnestrista

Thanks for the reply. I had grand plans for fishing this weekend. Wife is out of town and brother from Sd was going to come for 3 days of playing on Pepin. Due to the rain and my uncertainty of how to even begin to fish the super high water/heavy current, we have postponed the weekend. Sooo, here I sit wondering where to fish Saturday….Faribault area (not a clue where to go there) or find someone to try Pepin (or will it be too high??). I dunno at this point.
    I love to fish NE SD…I was born and raised in Watertown and those prairie lakes can be great fishing. Would be more than happy to share anything I can.
    Do you think Pepin will be worth a try this weekend? Or should a trip to a new southern lake be in order.
    Thanks again and I really look forward to hearing from you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.