Suv?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

We did some SUV shopping this weekend and it was an eye opener. With 2 kids my wife wants a 3rd row mid-size SUV. Anything a year or two old on the lot was 5-10k over the new model MSRP, so new looks to be a better option. Toyota didn’t have anything new on the lot, and 6 months to a year to order one. Kia stopped taking orders on the Telluride, and estimated about a year to get one. Hyundai Palisade is the leader in the clubhouse, and that’s about a 6-8 month time frame to get what we want. Jeep had a few of the Grand Cherokee L’s available but she didn’t really like them. Thankfully we can ride out her Enclave for a while yet, but probably need to take a # and get in line for it’s replacement sooner rather than later with these lead times.

Yikes

CaptainMusky

Yeah the delays are ridiculous as are the prices on nice used vehicles. If you are seriously into looking, check out a place like Granite City Motor car. There are others that do the same thing they do, but this is one I am familiar with since its near where I live.
    They can deal in new or used and any brand. They will save you money too. A buddy and his wife just got a 1 or 2 year old Traverse from them. They located it in California. Only had 12000 miles. He said they saved a lot of money over what they were finding at other dealers.

Red Eye

BW did you ask about trading your vehicle in on new? Guy i work with, his brother works for a chevy dealership. He just ordered a new 1 ton Diesel. It had to be ordered through dealership not by him personally otherwise he would have had to give up his current truck now for the trade. New truck was 8-10 months out if I remember.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We did some SUV shopping this weekend and it was an eye opener. With 2 kids my wife wants a 3rd row mid-size SUV. Anything a year or two old on the lot was 5-10k over the new model MSRP, so new looks to be a better option. Toyota didn’t have anything new on the lot, and 6 months to a year to order one. Kia stopped taking orders on the Telluride, and estimated about a year to get one. Hyundai Palisade is the leader in the clubhouse, and that’s about a 6-8 month time frame to get what we want. Jeep had a few of the Grand Cherokee L’s available but she didn’t really like them. Thankfully we can ride out her Enclave for a while yet, but probably need to take a # and get in line for it’s replacement sooner rather than later with these lead times.

It took us a good amount of shopping we ended up buying a 2015 Tahoe from the far said of Ohio for a very good deal. Private sale. Paid in cash and I think we got a really good deal compared to anything I’ve seen here. It was single owner low miles. Watch the used market place. The old man who had it wasn’t trying to get rich. And had every service record from new including wipers

Gary M

Wife has a 2018 Equinox .Good gas mileage 85000 miles on it..
    just put in a 02 sensor..I would buy another one.
    It is a little under powered. All wheel drive

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BW did you ask about trading your vehicle in on new?

Yeah, nowhere had a trade-in as contingency and only Brandl Motors would give us a trade-in price on our Enclave. The rest said they would address it if/when they had something we were interested in buying.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It took us a good amount of shopping we ended up buying a 2015 Tahoe from the far said of Ohio for a very good deal. Private sale.

Where were you doing your shopping? We are open to buying slightly used if the price is right on a private sale (doesn’t look possible thru a dealership), but just getting started in the shopping process and not sure the best places to look these days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    It took us a good amount of shopping we ended up buying a 2015 Tahoe from the far said of Ohio for a very good deal. Private sale.

Where were you doing your shopping? We are open to buying slightly used if the price is right on a private sale (doesn’t look possible thru a dealership), but just getting started in the shopping process and not sure the best places to look these days.

I did auto trader and Craigslist. I’ve been in the market for a truck for a while, and I slightly shifted when her buick was totaled and started looking for a suv. I found it on Craigslist. I searched every state around. And this one jumped out as to good to be true. So I went down and met him and went to his dealer/ service provider and it was in fact a great deal. Paid to have it shipped to mn and went back home.
    The Tahoe we found was on Craigslist. Old man who didn’t have a Facebook for market place. Everything here was 35k or more and we paid less then 25. Fully loaded. 40k on it. Heated first and second row leather. Bose system. Navigation. No sun roof the 3rd row seating would be miserable to sit in but it’s good enough for the dog. Has air ride suspension. Brand spanking new tires. 1 small scratch on the entire truck. We did the full rock chip coating and rust proofed it when we got it home and blacked out all the windows. With shipping and all that I still haven’t found a suv near home for any where near it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Attachments:
    1. 20220220_165540-scaled.jpg

nord

My wife is on her third 3 Honda CRV. We never had a problem with any of them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Nice looking rig. The wife is going to be upgrading from a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to either a newer Tahoe, or the 3rd row Jeep once things cool down.

Random question – What is the ground clearance on that thing? It looks to be about 3″ with that air dam. That would last about 2 weeks in our driveway if the wife got home before I had a chance to clear the rural MN snow drifts following a change in wind direction.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Random question – What is the ground clearance on that thing? It looks to be about 3″ with that air dam. That would last about 2 weeks in our driveway if the wife got home before I had a chance to clear the rural MN snow drifts following a change in wind direction.
    [/quote]

I’m not sure. Probably 4 inches. I’ll measure when I get off work.
    Just put a 6 inch lift and 35s on it. You’ll be golden

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Find the SUV you want then do a 500 mile search on Car Gurus, use the advance search features to find the SUV. I bought my new truck in Ohio like BC but flew out on a one way and drove it back. $53k truck for $34k 400 miles on it. Also bought my wife’s Honda in the middle of WI same deal saved $5k over what I found here. Crazy deals out there if yo look outside Mpls.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Well we pulled the trigger on a 2022 Palisade last night, after a ton of shopping ended up finding one with 9k miles on it at Saxe Ford Chevy in Belle Plaine. A little more than I wanted to pay, but it was available locally and interest rates are good. And glad we did as the wife was notified today her work from home time is ending in April.

Andy Fischer

My wife had an ’07 CRV and put 200K miles on it, still was able to get good money selling to a private party. Upgraded to a ’21 CRV last spring and that’s been great too. Handles well and excellent gas mileage. No mechanical issues with either or them.

catmando
    wis

Tahoe you won’t regret it, When I trade my F150 going back to the Tahoe.

Brittman

Comparison shopping and any possible regrets should be based on today’s prices and not some long ago (year or two ago) obsolete price points or situations that you do not want to manage through (logistics, etc).

Glad you found a vehicle that met your total value proposition.

I would assume people are out there flipping vehicles now.

My current truck came off lease in NY state. Someone must have bought it on end of lease auction, shipped to MN and sold here. Interestingly it was listed and priced as an entry/base level vehicle. We bought it the day it came into the lot. It was fully loaded. We had it off the lot before they could have figured out what they had.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My wife sent me the costing sheets and out the door price for this Jeep Grand Cherokee after she test drove it last week. She really wants a 3rd row or a bit more space that comes with the 3rd row capabilities. She is pretty much down to one of these or a Tahoe, but is content waiting for some of the chaos in the world to settle further.

She didn’t make any mention of being interested in trading in her 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited towards it. I’m a firm believer in negotiating a number on a purchase BEFORE even mentioning a trade or negotiating on that line.

Attachments:
    1. img-1-960x.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Comparison shopping and any possible regrets should be based on today’s prices and not some long ago (year or two ago) obsolete price points or situations that you do not want to manage through (logistics, etc).

This was definitely the truth in our experience. 2-3 year old vehicles are selling for 5-10k over their original MSRP, and I don’t see that slowing down anytime soon with supply and demand what it is.

My current truck came off lease in NY state. Someone must have bought it on end of lease auction, shipped to MN and sold here. Interestingly it was listed and priced as an entry/base level vehicle. We bought it the day it came into the lot. It was fully loaded. We had it off the lot before they could have figured out what they had.

Also spot on, our Palisade was bought on auction in Pennsylvania and shipped here. It was priced in line with year or two older vehicles with similar low mileage.

As for the financial side of things, the used market is so crazy a trade in didn’t make sense for us, we will get nearly double our trade in offers on the open used market. And use that towards paying my truck off early, so hopefully still only have 1 car payment by the time the 1st payment is due on the Palisade.

CaptainMusky

It would seem to me that turning over a vehicle at the end of the lease would be a very poor decision right now. The buyout has to be way less than you could replace it. I was just looking for a used pickup from late 90’s to mid 2000’s for my son. There were some that were $18k! Ridiculous.

Brittman

It would seem to me that turning over a vehicle at the end of the lease would be a very poor decision right now. The buyout has to be way less than you could replace it. I was just looking for a used pickup from late 90’s to mid 2000’s for my son. There were some that were $18k! Ridiculous.

Agree. This was almost 3 years ago.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Girlfriends mom just bought out there lease on a 2020 f150. Paid way lower then what the similar truck in that dealers lot was going for.

CaptainMusky

Agree. This was almost 3 years ago.

Ah gotcha!

Deuces

It’s been advised and I’ll reiterate to anyone looking at these 3rd rows get in one yourself, and see just how much of a row it really is.

My 2 young kids r now 8 and 13, be a tight ride for them in my last Yukon 3rd row. Upgraded to the XL. Was shooting for a Tacoma but then I started actually sitting in those rear seats. No thank you. Same cost dang near, parking is just fine and gas is just fine with the 5.3l.

I googled some suvs this morning for values and lots of the 6.2ls for sale rn, wonder why that is!?

CaptainMusky

I googled some suvs this morning for values and lots of the 6.2ls for sale rn, wonder why that is!?

The 6.2 isnt that bad on fuel. Its not as good as a 5.3, but having owned several of both you would be surprised how close they really are. My 2007 Yukon XL Denali would get 21 or 22 if it wasnt pushed overly hard. That was before AFM in it. My wife has a 2012 now and we averaged 19 going to Houston Texas last summer, hand calculated, not the dream-o-meter.

Deuces

Tbh I’m utterly shocked you got anything over 16 with the 6.2l. Loved my 08 but that thing was a gas hog. Had it tuned up, ran straight, never anything over 15 to 16.

My 05 5.3l Tahoe did pretty well tho, had that thing running around 18mpg city.

Justin Paulsen

Is there certain years of Acadias to stay away from or all years have issues? We are starting to shop a little for my wife and that is a model I am looking at.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

You guys looking for a new rig try this web site autotempest.com
    It searches all media web pages. Craigslist market place, auto trader, and more

CaptainMusky

Tbh I’m utterly shocked you got anything over 16 with the 6.2l. Loved my 08 but that thing was a gas hog. Had it tuned up, ran straight, never anything over 15 to 16.

My 05 5.3l Tahoe did pretty well tho, had that thing running around 18mpg city.

Are you talking 6.2 or the 6.0? The 6.0 was a pig, but the 6.2 is not.

CaptainMusky

Is there certain years of Acadias to stay away from or all years have issues? We are starting to shop a little for my wife and that is a model I am looking at.

The earlier years had various issues with cam shafts and some transmission wave plates or something. They have been much better since about 2014. We had a 2010 Outlook essentially the same thing. Was a good vehicle for us, but the cats were causing dash lights to come on near the end. Lots of trouble with headlight wiring harness issues though.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.