SUV & ice auger transport w/ kids?

• Cp3
    Hammond, WI

So I have an SUV and most of the time I’m dropping off my kids then going to work. After work heading out to fish for a few hours and then home. So my question is to those that have kids and an auger in the same enclosed vehicle. How do you deal with the gas/oil smell? I’m not sold on going battery with an ice auger for reasons everyone knows… but this would be I’m sure the best option for no gas or oil issues in the vehicle. Now with that said what would some of you guys consider in a situation like this? I fish when I can so weather in the negative is not going to stop me. Ice thickness ranges from beginning season to late season. I do have and use a hand auger during times of ice thickness less then 12″. I don’t really run and gun and I would say on a given day I drill anywhere from 10 to 40 holes. I do walk out a lot but when thick enough I drive SUV out. Any ideas or options for driving around with an auger? Carrying bag or hitch mount? Should I consider going with a battery auger? Just looking for some ideas toast

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Ditch the gas can and use FlexFuel.

Make sure your auger doesn’t leak gas and cl0se the vent.
    Should be very little odor if any

Mine sits in my living room all winter when it is not to/fro the lake.

bee
    Maine

Tanaka power head. No smell no leaks. Attach the auger of your choice.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got a hitch-mounted cargo hauler, and I find it extremely useful. Coolers, tree branches, firewood, garbage from the cabin–anything I don’t want in the back of my SUV. The only problem I see would be worrying about theft of your auger, but then again, it wouldn’t be too much different that a pick-up truck.

hitch hauler

GoldWinger

The pre-mix fuel in 1 qt bottles eliminates a stinky gas can but X2 on tight cap and closed vent. I have one of these from Cabelas

StrikeMaster® Power Auger Storage Case
    $49.99

Item: IK-136495

View All Item Notes & Restrictions

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It is the gas that would cause an odor, and nothing else.

No auger gas leaks and no odor.
    Gas leaks are cheap and easy to repair.

Gas cans SUCK.
    The flex fuel cans emit no odor. They are stored in my house too.

I’m Assuming your auger reeks of gas which is why you asked the question…Fix your leaks (<$40)

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you’re normally drilling 10 to 40 holes a day then I guess I don’t see why you are avoiding an electric auger for ‘reasons everyone knows’.

I personally run a gas auger and love it, but if I knew I’d only drill 10-40 holes every time out then I’d probably consider getting an ion. Is there any downside besides the ‘limited’ output?

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

The flex fuel cans emit no odor. They are stored in my house too.
    I’m Assuming your auger reeks of gas which is why you asked the question…Fix your leaks (<$40)

Flex fuel… I will look into that
    Older auger yes smells and leaks

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

If you’re normally drilling 10 to 40 holes a day then I guess I don’t see why you are avoiding an electric auger for ‘reasons everyone knows’.

I personally run a gas auger and love it, but if I knew I’d only drill 10-40 holes every time out then I’d probably consider getting an ion. Is there any downside besides the ‘limited’ output?

Just can’t see myself getting an Ion with the cost of batteries ($140+) and limited life span (600-800 full charge cycles). Yes I’m sure they are great and all but just not confident in switching from gas to battery. I drill 10-40 holes on average but I don’t want to limit myself for when I’m out all day on the weekends.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Sounds like propane might be a option too.

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Older auger yes smells and leaks

Lots of time to get that fixed before freeze up bud. Way less $$ than a new auger.

fisherman-andy

Thinking too hard here. Set yourself up with an electric auger. Lightweight, odorless, and will allow you to cut 40-60 holes on 15″ ice with a 4ah battery.

Use an 18v drill with an adapter or get the new clam plate setup where you dont have to remove the chuck. Make sure your batteries are 4ah or better.

Most 18v drills with at least 500in lbs torque will handle a 6″ auger bit. For a 7″ and or 8″ bit I recommend 700in lbs torque spec capable drill or better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.