Superior Lakers are going to be happy

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Historic boom in Lake Superior’s herring population could be best in 40 years
    A stunning turnaround for the popular fish could sustain Minnesota’s commercial fisheries and North Shore restaurants for years.
    By Greg Stanley Star Tribune JUNE 22, 2023 — 6:00AM

ALEX KORMANN, STAR TRIBUNE
    Beth Holbrook, a fish researcher, untangled a cisco that was caught in one of the nets set by biologists researching the fish in a northern Minnesota lake in 2019.
    A small, crucial fish that lives in the cold, deep waters of Lake Superior just had one of its healthiest years in at least four decades.

Potentially record numbers of lake herring — also called cisco — born last spring seem to have survived their first year of life, according to state and federal biologists. At a year old, they should be just large enough that few predators in Lake Superior will now eat them.

The stunning boom, not seen since at least 1984, will help sustain both the ecosystem and Minnesota’s commercial fishing industry in one of the world’s greatest lakes for years to come, said Cory Goldsworthy, Lake Superior fisheries supervisor for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

“This is what we’ve been waiting for,” Goldsworthy said. “It’s something we’ve never seen before in our careers and may not see again.”

Superior’s herring are prized by commercial fishermen for their fillets and eggs, which can be made into a caviar. They are key prey of lake trout, walleye and other popular game and predator fish. Healthy herring populations can lead to fatter, healthier trout and walleye, Goldsworthy said.

It still may be a couple of years before the year-old herring show up in gill nets and on the tables of restaurants throughout the North Shore.

Much can happen between now and then, said Eric Brisson, co-owner of North Superior Fishery out of Grand Marais.

“Herring are always hit or miss,” he said. “It’s a big lake out there, so you never can tell.”

Demand for locally caught fish is as high as it’s ever been, said Stephen Dahl, 71, who has fished for herring out of the Duluth area for about 35 years.

“It’s real good to hear,” he said of the high numbers. “The local food thing is so strong I can’t keep up with the market. There isn’t enough of me.”

Herring had been over-fished throughout much of the 20th century, and their numbers plummeted. Conservation efforts and fishing limits helped bring them back starting in the 1970s.

Herring populations can boom and bust, as they need temperatures and conditions to be just right to successfully hatch their eggs. The water needs to be icy cold, yet still full of the zooplankton that young herring need to grow, Goldsworthy said.

If they can make it a year, they have a strong likelihood of surviving to maturity, he said.

A herring can live up to 40 years in Lake Superior. They evolved alongside lake trout — their top predator — and put all their energy during their first few years into growing. Once they reach about 14 inches — a length where only Superior’s very biggest lake trout are still able to fit them in their mouths — the herring almost flip a switch and stop growing. They instead put their energy into reproduction.

Biologists and anglers suspected that herring were having a great year as early as November, seeing strong signs of their growth inside the bellies of lake trout. They waited for an annual survey conducted each spring by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) to confirm their hopes.

The lake’s best year on record for herring is 1984, when USGS researchers estimated that there were 748 young herring per hectare — Lake Superior is more than 8 million hectares.

There hasn’t been a strong year since 2003, when an estimated 175 per hectare made it to a year old. Since then, numbers have been dismal. In the worst year on record — 2013 — USGS estimated that almost no fish born that year survived.

After 20 years of poor survival rates, it seemed like Superior could no longer support high numbers of herring. The lake is freezing less often as the climate changes, and spring and fall storms have become more intense. Invasive species have upended parts of the food chain.

But the lake water turned cold enough, with abundant zooplankton, in early 2022.

A USGS research vessel has been systemically trawling the bottom of the lake this spring. The annual survey will wrap up on Monday and a final peer-reviewed population estimate won’t be ready for some time, said Dan Yule, a biologist with USGS.

But enough herring have already been pulled up to know that this year is special, he said.

FinnyDinDin

The coho are running big this year. Bigger than I have seen before in superior. This might explain it.

I am surprised herring live 40 years.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Are they still completing their netting? Or did I miss why they didn’t say what the estimate is per hectacre for this bumper crop? Also, are herring/cisco and tullibee/ciscoe related? So many questions lol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

There are not very many left that net them. I know of 1 in Grand Marais, 1 in Wis and 1 in Michigan. Im sure there are more but I have bought from those 3. Also I have eaten them at a couple places in Grand Marias including the Angry Trout. Fresh Herring is damn good.

Gregg Gunter

Cool. I wonder why the USGS is doing the survey? I would have expected USFW to do it.

JEREMY
    BP

Global Warming

ThunderLund78

I actually thought freshwater herring and Cisco were the same thing? Will have to check my fish book when I have time.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Learned something new today, thanks! Pretty crazy they live 40 years! Also, I’ve caught a lot of tullies on ML/LOW that were well over 14″, I wonder if they actually don’t grow as large on Superior or that was just a ballpark reference #.

LabDaddy1

Cisco=lake herring=tullibee

Whitefish=whitefish

Whitefish has downturned mouth, Cisco/tullie has upturned mouth.

Directly related, and they are members of the salmon family waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just saw this on the Duluth paper

In fact, cisco are now the most numerous fish in Lake Superior, according to USGS estimates, surpassing even invasive rainbow smelt.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Who cares about the herring, what about the eelpout? It is one heck of an eelpout factory.

Oops, maybe I said too much.

LabDaddy1

Who cares about the herring, what about the eelpout? It is one heck of an eelpout factory.

Oops, maybe I said too much.

Time to peel out your livetarget eelpout for a state record lake trout, BG.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Id bet the next record musky comes out of there.

FinnyDinDin

Id bet the next record musky comes out of there.

I hope you are right but I highly doubt it. The Muskies go out in the lake and gorge on herring, trout and salmon in the summer but I think the colder water slows the growth. I’ve never heard of any Muskie being caught by the dnr or an angler exceeding 55 inches in the system and they get girthy but nothing like the st Lawrence and Mille lacs caliber fish.

The wi dnr has recently started stocking Great Lakes strain fish in the estuary. It’ll be interesting to see how those fish do.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Id be willing to bet its based on most people not fishing the main lake for muskies and staying in the river. I know studies show that the leech lake strain which generally is the better growth tend to explore the main lake. The WI strains tend to stay in the river which grow slower compared to the leech lake strain. I do hear out in the UP there are some giants too.

FinnyDinDin

Id be willing to bet its based on most people not fishing the main lake for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskies and staying in the river. I know studies show that the leech lake strain which generally is the better growth tend to explore the main lake. The WI strains tend to stay in the river which grow slower compared to the leech lake strain. I do hear out in the UP there are some giants too.

There are people who fish them in the lake including me. Needle in a hay stack type of deal. There are also some that get caught each year by the salmon and trout trollers in the lake.

The dnr did a radio tag study to track Muskie and sturgeon movements in and out of the estuary. Lots of muskies went out in to the lake after the spawn. Many went in and out throughout the summer and all but one returned to the river by the fall. The one that didn’t return got pinged over by bayfield. Not sure if it ever came back before the battery in the tag died. So the fish that go out to the lake are in the river system and being fished during the spring and fall.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Lake Superior herring and inland tullibee are related but I don’t think they are the same species. The herring are more cylindrical in my experience. They definitely do not taste the same.

Attachments:
    1. 8E08E8F8-7953-4B68-9D47-F53DFE9A2AD9-scaled.jpeg

2. EBA16D6D-5A44-47A7-BA56-EE709E9AF65F.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Minnesota Angler Breaks 53-Year-Old Coho Salmon Record on His First Trip to Lake Superior
    It’s the second record-sized coho pulled from the lake this month

BY BOB MCNALLY | PUBLISHED SEP 6, 2023 4:05 PM EDT

FISHING

minnesota coho record
    Capt. Kent Paulsen holds up the pending state-record coho that David Chihosz (right) caught while fishing with his wife Chris (left). Courtesy Capt. Kent Paulsen

Minnesota Capt. Kent Paulsen had a banner Labor Day on Lake Superior. By 7 a.m., David and Chris Cichosz, the husband-and-wife duo he had on board, were well on their way to a double limit of lake trout during their first-ever outing on the lake. So, they shifted gears and started targeting coho salmon (also known as silver salmon). Within minutes, they had a pending state-record coho in the net.

“We already had a bunch of lake trout in the boat, so I set up trolling for cohos with dodgers and flies,” Paulsen, 39, tells Outdoor Life. “I got the lures down about 50 feet, just above the thermocline in 80 feet of 50-degree water. At 7:30 a.m., a hot fish hit and pulled about 100 feet of line off the reel drag before my angler, David Chihosz, could get the rod and start fighting the fish.”

It took about five minutes for Chihosz, an ex-Marine from Wabasha, Minnesota, to bring the fish close to Paulsen’s 33-foot Chris-Craft boat, the True North II. Paulsen netted the fish and immediately knew it was a possible state record.

minnesota coho record 2
    David Chihosz holds up the 10.92-pound coho salmon soon after he caught it; Capt. Paulsen back at the marina. Courtesy Capt. Kent Paulsen
    “We’ve been prepping for big salmon all year, and I expected a record to be caught, I knew this was the fish,” Paulsen says. “I weighed it on my boat scales, and it read 11 pounds. I told David and his wife Chris this is going to be a fish to remember. That’s when we brought in the downriggers and fishing lines and headed back to shore to have the fish officially weighed.”

It was a quick 3-mile run back to Lake Head Marina, where Paulsen’s FishNorth MN charter business is based. They immediately took the salmon to the Super One grocery store in nearby Duluth, where the fish weighed 10.92 pounds on a certified scale. It measured 29 inches long. If approved by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Chihosz’s salmon will replace the current state record of 10.38 pounds, which dates all the way back to 1970.

Technically, a new state coho record had been submitted to the DNR days earlier on Sept. 2, according to the Duluth News Tribune. That 10.06-pound coho was also caught from Lake Superior. It was a potential state record because the DNR is currently revising its record fish program by reclassifying some records caught before 1980 as “historic” and opening the door to new certified weight records.

Read Next: Minnesota Considers Revamping Its Record Fish Program and Opening the Door to a New State-Record Walleye

Paulsen says it’s been an exceptional summer for coho salmon fishing on western Lake Superior. Unlike in some of the other Great Lakes, cohos have a self-sustaining population there that doesn’t require additional stocking by the DNR.

“The next day we took the coho to DNR headquarters at French River, where Nick Petersen is the local head of the fisheries crew,” Paulsen says. “He identified the fish as a coho, helped with the paperwork for records. We donated the fish to DNR so they can do research on it, learn about its age, health, what it had been eating, etc.”

On average years, Paulsen’s anglers catch mostly 3- to 6-pounders, but he says the salmon seem bigger and fatter this year due to abundant stocks of ciscoes and other baitfish in the lake. In fact, he believes the state coho record could get broken again before the season ends later this month.

hossfisher

Technically, a new state coho record had been submitted to the DNR days earlier on Sept. 2, according to the Duluth News Tribune. That 10.06-pound coho was also caught from Lake Superior. It was a potential state record because the DNR is currently revising its record fish program by reclassifying some records caught before 1980 as “historic” and opening the door to new certified weight records.

I’m confused. Are we just assuming all pre-1980 records are ‘historic’ now and submitting fish on the fly to replace them? I know there was debate/action about removing pre-1980 fish last year, but they have to at least formally open that door… right? Anybody hear anything more on this?

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

The prior record coho was never officially weighed, the weight was assigned by the length of it. So really, it could only be said that officially it was the longest coho ever caught in the MN.
    There was a 7 year old (I think 7) that caught a longer coho the day or two before Kent’s angler caught his. But the OFFICIAL weight was only 10.06 pounds.
    So there was a debate already going on about whether that fish should be the new MN record coho, since the original 1980 fish was never weighed.
    Glad to see none of that matters now, as this is a beast of a coho for Lake Superior!!!

As regards to historic records, I really don’t understand how a fish could have ever been considered a MN State record, if it was never officially weighed????

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The prior record coho was never officially weighed, the weight was assigned by the length of it. So really, it could only be said that officially it was the longest coho ever caught in the MN.
    There was a 7 year old (I think 7) that caught a longer coho the day or two before Kent’s angler caught his. But the OFFICIAL weight was only 10.06 pounds.
    So there was a debate already going on about whether that fish should be the new MN record coho, since the original 1980 fish was never weighed.
    Glad to see none of that matters now, as this is a beast of a coho for Lake Superior!!!

As regards to historic records, I really don’t understand how a fish could have ever been considered a MN State record, if it was never officially weighed????

If it’s not weighed and that’s the standard, don’t put it in a record book. That seems pretty logical and straight-forward.

CaptainMusky

If it’s not weighed and that’s the standard, don’t put it in a record book. That seems pretty logical and straight-forward.

Right how could it be considered a record unless its weighed? I get a C&R record, but otherwise no. That’s like having a land speed record without knowing how fast they were going

hossfisher

Thanks for the info xplorer. Had not heard that before and seems illogical that a fish would be assigned a weight for state record. Glad this new Coho eliminates any debate.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

In fact, he believes the state coho record could get broken again before the season ends later this month.

And just for clarity, the salmon season does not end at the end of this month. It is continuous year-round. Lake Trout season ends October 8th. There are no doubt other coho’s out there bigger. The number of 15# plus kings being caught this year on the west end of Superior is unreel also.
    And yes, I will hopefully be out a few times over the next month trying to put my name in the record book grin
    Was out last Sunday in the heat (98 on park point does not happen very often) with only a couple lakers to show for it, but it was so hot the FW, dog, and I spent half our day back on the park point beach swimming.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

And just for clarity, the salmon season does not end at the end of this month. It is continuous year-round. Lake Trout season ends October 8th. There are no doubt other coho’s out there bigger. The number of 15# plus kings being caught this year on the west end of Superior is unreel also.
    And yes, I will hopefully be out a few times over the next month trying to put my name in the record book
    Was out last Sunday in the heat (98 on park point does not happen very often)

That is awesome to hear on the salmon front, sure would be nice to get our DNR stocking them. Hopefully see the record broken a few more times on the coho’s.

My buddy up there said it was the first time Duluth was over 90 degrees in like 408 days lol.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.