Suggestions for dog boots

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’m looking for a pair for my lab going out in the yard in cold weather and walks of < 1/2 mile. They need to be easy to put on/takeoff. These will not be used for hunting.
    What’re you guys and gal (Sharon) using?

Reef W

http://www.dogbooties.com

I think fancy boots are a pain in the ass and it’s painful to lose one. I just have a pile of these and replace as needed. 1000 or 500 denier for everything being frozen or dry, 330s for water being involved. If they are stepping in water over the tops the 1000 denier won’t drain and pulls off.

Reef W

Dang, they’re expensive now. Pretty sure it was $2 last time I ordered but that was 4 or 5 years ago probably. Wish I would have bought more now.

Sharon
    SE Metro

The first year we got Fritz we tried putting some booties on him that I picked up at a local pet store, nothing fancy. Fritz suddenly forgot how to walk or that his knees could bend! It was hilarious!! rotflol rotflol I’m sure he would have gotten used to them over time but we didn’t continue to use them.

Attachments:
    1. Fritz-and-his-booties-Oct-2014.jpg

Reef W

I’m sure he would have gotten used to them over time but we didn’t continue to use them.

I don’t use them often but my dogs never really get over it if they’re just standing around. Just need to put on leash or grab gun or whatever and go and they forget to worry about boots until we stop again.

10klakes

dogbooties.com

Originally a company in Duluth now based in AK. Made for sled dogs. simple but work, not out a lot of money if you lose one.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Dog boots for a lab?? Never heard of such a thing.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

Either option above should work well. Those styles have worked the best for when I need my German Shepherd to wear boots. Not because his feet get cold, but there are times in the winter and summer where he runs so much that he wears his nails down to the quick and bleeds.

Tried some with rubber soles initially and for whatever reason they ended up with more snow packed in them. The sock-like ones haven’t had that issue.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Dog boots for a lab?? Never heard of such a thing.

That’s what I thought too. They don’t need em.

Brittman

Do labs really need the vest either ?

Gitchi Gummi

That’s what I thought too. They don’t need em.

agreed that they aren’t needed in most cases. but if they want to be outside for an extended period of time in below zero temps, they’re needed IMO.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I put a vest on my lab when I’m outside for 3+ hours in less than 40 degree weather and most of the time when duck hunting.
    When he is outside the first thing in the morning in the cold spell we just had and can’t complete his normal routine of going around the yard peeing, pooping and smelling for critters that passed through the yard without stopping and lifting his front paw, then he needs boots.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.