sucker run

• Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

The suckers should be running soon. Has anyone had them run yet? I am looking to get a few for muskie bait and a few for patties.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good chance we will go check some creeks north of the twin cities this weekend. Stopped today to check one off coon lake.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Suckers seem like pigeons, you never see any baby ones, they come right out the egg full grown.

Warm spell we had weeks ago the water was still too cold for any decent runs, the sun we’ve been seeing lately down in the cities is accompanied with chilly conditions yet and the sun just isn’t strong enough yet to warm up those creeks.

But you are right, it shouldn’t be to long. This is probably close to my favorite fishing with the kids. At times it can be plain nuts.

dogs
    Hugo

will try for some st. croix salmon this weekend. A friends son used to charter a bus and bring City folk\college kids up to fish sucker with kegs in the aisle. They could not get enough suck fishing in. Most did not bring poles. Best kid fishing there is: lot of tree climbing, rock throughing and 22 shooting. A Danbury designated Holiday right up there with X-mas.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I look forward to the spring sucker run too. I fish the Turkey river by Elkader–El-kay-der Iowa in a creek that’s about 2′ deep and about 15′ wide and 100′ from the mouth and your right sometimes its just a minute or two between bites. For early spring fishing and the excitement of looking at the end of your pole and warming your arms back up, its something to do for an early spring bite from shore.

The suckers there average about 1 1/2 too 3 pounds and if you hit the peak of the bite you can walk out with 4 or 5 buckets in just a couple hours and everybody along the rivers edge is getting bit like that too, its actually pretty fun. 1/4 of a nightcrawler on a no. 6 Aberdeen with an 1/8th oz. egg sinker is all I use, and just throw it in a hole or a deeper cut and that’s all you have to do.

Justin Karriker

I tried today. No dice. I’m new to sucker fishin though

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its probably too early Justin I know it is in the Turkey river where I go north of here about 75 miles. Give it a few more degrees and that should make a difference. The catfish are starting to bite here and seen a 3 pounder caught last week from the local river that goes through town here but its still slow.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Caught a couple on the croix yesterday around Osceola. Pretty slow. Water is still pretty high in that area. Still nice to get out.

Justin Karriker

Tried just north of mpls. Nothing but carp and smallies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.