Striker Ice Suits.

• Dylan Welle

Howdy folks,I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out. I’m looking at Striker Ice bibs and I’m debating between the hardwater and predator. But here’s the thing. I don’t know if the predator will keep me warm enough. Last year there was two weekends back to back where it was -30 degrees and we fished in that and the average temperature we fished at was 0-30. And i also want to hear what you guy have to say about the bibs themselves. Thanks!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The predators will keep you warm enough. I fish down to -10 and wear basketball shorts underneath because I get too hot. I’ve gotten cold on the ice in them before but it’s my upper body and hands that get cold. Never my lower body. If you wear jeans or sweats or long underwear with the preds I think you will be just fine.

There are a lot of threads here on bibs and you will quickly see most responses will point you in the direction of either of the Striker bibs.

Aaron

I know this isn’t an option of yours but I would look at the climate, I know its a little more but you can take out a layer of insulation in the bibs. This is really nice when your on the ice in below zero weather versus 20-30 degrees. I also get more of 3 season use out of them, with fall fishing and Rainy River fishing in the spring. Like the other guy said he has shorts on in -10 and when you get above zero, I image he is just way to toasty.

tswoboda

Get the predator and layer under as needed. I have the hardwater jacket and hardly ever use it.
    3-in-1 jackets are for grade school kids.

shockers
    Rochester

Whatever you go with, I’d suggest trying the options on first. I went with Hardwater as I’m often fishing on a bucket and not moving much so wanted more warmth than the Predator. Almost went with Climate, but the Hardwater just seemed to fit better.

Hardwater has been great. Though I’m not a big fan of the pockets on the bibs. But that’s my only gripe.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

If you are pretty mobile on the ice the Predator will be more than enough to keep you warm in pretty much all conditions. If it’s legit -30F I bring my shack and a heater anyways. My hands, feet, and face can’t take being in -30F weather all day without warming up here and there.

The Hardwater is no doubt warmer, just a little bit heavier for walking around and drilling a lot of holes.

Like tswoboda said, what you wear underneath the bibs is equally important as which bibs you’re wearing. I would be much warmer in a Predator suit with merino wool and poly undergarments than I would be with a Hardwater suit with jeans and cotton.

If you’re not worried about being too mobile on the ice get the Hardwater, if you typically drill a lot of holes and move spots a lot, get the Predator.

They are all nice suits.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It’s impossible to fish outside at -30.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

It’s possible. Just difficult. Helps if it’s calm.

Dylan Welle

Yeah, it’s possible and just not very fun. By the time you get the fish out of the hole and into your hand and unhooked it’s pretty much frozen. Your lips crack like nothin else. You touch the water with your finger and if you don’t your hand in a glove in the next 10 seconds I’m pretty sure you’d be borderline frostbite. Only for the hardest (and sometimes stupidest) of anglers. But when you catch nice fish, it makes it worthwhile.

Dylan Welle

Thanks everybody for the input! I think I’ll go with the predator! Thanks again!

Aaron Kalberer

I bought the predators last year and love them, I liked the fact that they didn’t bunch up at the knees for when you may be kneeling on the ice hole hopping. They have kept me plenty warm and seem to be built to last.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Predators will be warm enough as it won’t be your bibs and jacket causing you to call it quits. Your feet, hands or face will be what causes you to go in. Granted I don’t fish outside when its -30 because that’s just crazy. And honestly never seen anyone fishing outside when its that cold.

Cameron white

FYI… they came out with a hardwater jacket with lighter insulation this year.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Big fan of the Predator suit. I’ve even had in out on the boat a few times in the last week! I really like that it has vents along the back and under the armpits. This allows me to not overheat when I use it when the temps are in the 40-50’s late-ice and late-fall.

Cameron white

They all fit different as well. Depends on your body type, and your style of fishing.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’ve got the Predator and like most have said, it will be fine in -30. Just layer up a bit underneath. 0-32 you can probably wear a t-shirt and shorts underneath and be just fine. 32-50 degrees and its still comfortable in the boat, just open up some of the vents.

Jason

I have the Predator jacket and Hardwater bibs. The jacket is great and allows me to layer as needed.

The Hardwater bibs are warm, almost too warm. If doing a lot of walking and hole drilling, they are too warm. For sitting out on the ice all day, they’re pretty nice. I only wear blue jeans under them now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.