Flatheads are biting

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Just got back from the 5 in 1 dam downtown here and we caught 9 ourselfs, small ones on night crawlers all under 5 pounds. The bigger ones are in the current below the dam, we were fishing off in the shallower slower water. The young guy that was catching the bigger ones, 18, came over to us and I recognized him from fishing off the dam last year. He gave us a 15, 12 and a 9 pounder and said they caught 15 flatheads last night. Caught them all on chubs, just so happens he gets his out of the same creek and the same spot I get mine I just never seen him there. He said they were really biting last night and only fair tonight so tomorrow might be another good night after the food they ate goes through their system. All the bigger ones are in the discharge and fast current below the dam and the smaller ones are in the slower shallows below the dam, the flathead fishings good right now. A couple guys said they seen a couple in the 40 pound range caught the last week. I’ll post tomorrow night how it goes and a good flathead bites on right now here in town.

larry_haugh
    MN

Sweet…. even the small ones can be fun.
    How big is that dam down there. (Tall and long).
    How much wieght are you using if you wanted to fish in the strong current?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

All the bigger ones are in the discharge

Thanks for the reminder Mossy!

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

I agree that they are definitely going.

Riddle: How do you get a 39″ flathead into a bass livewell?

Answer: You don’t.

Caught a 30, 25, and 18 prefishing for bass on Monday. The 25 went home for several nice meals!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Larry, it depends on the amount of water coming over the gates but right now 3 to 4 ounces will keep it on the bottom a good throw from the bridge, A good throw is around 40 yrds. When the waters up 4 and up to 6 ounces and higher. The dam has the gates on the bottom right on the river, Then above that is the east and west intown road decks and the handrail on the sidewalk there beside the road on the downriver side is around 16 ft. Then above that is the east west roads for interstate 380. Interstate 380 is a north/south interstate but at the river is crosses east/west. Im pretty sure its around a 5 hr drive if you guys want to get into a good bite right now. Theres no commercial fishing here on the Cedar and this river is plumb loaded with channels and lots of flatheads. Were about ready to start ditty poleing and running trotlines because their starting to hit those too, theres two weeks during prespawn in June where you wouldn’t believe it. I’ll see if I can get some pictures up tonight after we get home of the fish and the dam area includeing the discharge and the center gates that are open.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Brian, the same thing happened last year and it happens every year like that. The big ones are in the current waiting for food to wash down over the gates or they can swim better in the current more then the smaller ones.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Mossy,
    Good to hear! I was fishing below the 5 & 1 about 2 weeks ago and they were actually hitting our jigs. I think I got my weekend planned out. Are they still hitting on the east side?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Right off the wall Steve over the handrail on the west side in the calm water is where were getting the panfryers, the big ones are out in the current and off the dam. Com’n down and probably see you this weekend. Theres a slow water side right below the last gate because its still closed on the east side, personally for panfryers both sides are about the same. Look for us and I’ll look for you because we will probably be there from around 6 or so for the late night bite. We’ll have chubs and maybe some bluegills if you don’t have any bait, rods are a bendin right now.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Last night was a bust with only a few smaller ones caught, even the channels were slow. No big ones caught by anybody and there was just a couple guys up on the dam fishing for big flatheads. We had a very strong N.W. cold front blow through yesterday and through the early night time which shut them off. One thing that did happen was the number of sheephead being caught and none the night befor. Same time and bait but with windy conditions. Forgot to bring the camera to get some pictures and will try the next time we go. Occasionally a couple sand sturgeons are being caught and a big sand sturgeon is 3 pounds, im pretty sure they just don’t get that big. A few guys around here smoke them. Were going to wait for it to warm up some to turn the fish around befor we go again.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks for the update Dan, love those big flats. Haven’t seen as many up here as we did before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.