FTR Field Staff Pics – A Brown Trout Tri-fecta

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Here’s three dandy pics, sent out to us by Jim Wernimont, from a day he spent recently fishing trout in Southern MN. The largest of these fish looks to be over 20″ easily and the other two are super fat and healthy specimens as well. With any luck, Jim will stop in and give us a bit more background info on the techniques he was using to bring these fine fish to the net.

If anyone else has a photo or two they’d like to share with us here at FTR, simply send the photo out as a .jpg attachment in an e-mail to [email protected] and we’ll gladly get that posted here just as quickly as we can.

Good fishin’,

EFN Webstaff

JimW
    SE MN

Techniques eh?

Well, you can find a detailed report in my second to last report on SE MN streams. The largest fish pictured tape measaured at 22.5 inches. It is almost a prototype of of Kevin Eastburns pictured on this forum. However, I am personally waiting for a 24 incher to take over to Tom’s Taxidermy in Clarksgrove!

Wednesday evening I caught a browner just over 21 inches using the same presentation! That was my 4th 20+ inch trout of the season. LONG casts with a large Original floating rapala! #11 shiner.

The other two fish were an example of several others I caught that day, but were the chosen few(best actual photos).

When the water rises or has a fine cloud lining the runs, holes and depressions, catching larger trout is more likely. ALso, low light periods, dusk, dawn or in the rain, like Wednesday. Typically the larger fish are “wiser”(and spookier) than the more aggressive 10-16 inchers! SO capitalizing on conditons best suited for targeting trophy or large trout is key!

Don’t rule out water(runs) that appears too small to hold big fish. During the aforementioned conditions, bigger fish will be feeding in tight hard current areas! Two weeks ago, I rolled a big fish(22+) in a run that I was “humoring” myself with, not expecting to see a fish so disproportionate to the actual size of the run. I was virtually on top of this run, but with good cloud the fish couldn’t see me. SO I casted across the run, made one twitch and this fish became air-born, lashing out at my rap! I almost fell down in surpise and amazement. This run was only 3-4 feet wide and maybe a foot and a half deep, but the current was fast!

Fishing streams/rivers that typically hold or demonstrate the characteristics of big fish water should be targeted. Not to say a “babbling” brook won’t hold large fish, but let’s use our better judgement.

Rapalas have been my steadfast. However, you can catch some brutes using other stick baits and spinners!

Good luck!! If/when I catch that 24 +er, I post it here!!!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.