trout fly patterns/ presentations ?

• Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

HI All, this year I’m planning on getting back into some river trout fishing. what types of presentations are a good all around approach, and what are some general fly patterns and sizes that would be good choices to start with ? thanks alot, have a good year. Jack.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Jack,

I haven’t been out since last Saturday, before that I was haveing some luck on the surface with a dark Hendrickson in sizes 16 to 18. Traditionaly this fly starts loosing out around this time of year, but as flakely as the weather has been, I don’t think that I would give up on it yet. Lighter colored flys should start soon, Light Hendrickson, Cahills, Olives and such. Small sizes in assorted light browns, tans and cream colors. For below the surface try things like Pheasant tails and Gold Ribbed Hares Ear in sizes around 16 and larger.

For more up to date info check the Fly fishing departments of stores like Cabala’s etc.

Good luck,

JOHN

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi John, thanks for taking the time to answer with some good suggestions, hope to get out soon, thanks again. Jack.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.