Iowa small rivers/streams

• Youngeye
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Have any Iowa anglers been catching walleyes from any of the small rivers in Eastern Iowa, noteably the Wapsi, Macquoketa, etc.

I am going to take a float trip this weekend and am looking for any info that someone may have.

[email protected]

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Crimeny Young. —–your pick’n a bad weekend !! Weather’s bring’n in 1-2″ of rain for Saturday. Both rivers are run’n high and muddy !!! Sorry for the bad news

Gofish

Kensyl Reading——-EFN ProStaff

Youngeye
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks, I figured as much. I still think I am going to try it though, also have there been any eyes caught on the Miss. lately, haven’t seen any posts.

[email protected]

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Yo Guy——We’re flooding in these parts. Up river Pool 6>

looks like its back in it’s banks or close.

Gofish

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Nobody I know has been out with the condition of the rivers down here in SE Iowa. Some catfishing going on, but haven’t heard of anybody getting into any eyes.

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

I have heard of just a few walleyes being caught on the Cedar river around Waterloo and Cedar Falls, Iowa. But not too much bragging going on yet. Hope this helps.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Thanks for the heads-up..my son is at UNI..maybe will have to head that way this weekend.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Unfortunately, the Cedar is up about a foot in Waterloo and muddy. Can’t help but think that the water temps are cold, as well, with the rain we have have. Alot different than the “trout stream” like conditions of early spring/late winter that we had just a few days ago. Still……..could probably catch a fish or two. LOL.

Anonymous

Hey leadsled,

I went to UNI too. Great school. Played Football their in the late 80s and early 90s. I used to sneak over to the Cedar River in Cedar Falls, never caught squat their though.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Hougie,

UNI grad myself…81. Was on the B-Ball team. Your old coach was quarterbacking the football team back then.

Leadsled, try the slack water areas on both sides of the river below the dam in Cedar Falls. Especially on the north side. Sometimes, with the water up the fish get pushed back up into them. It won’t be long and the annual smallmouth “stack up” below the dam will occur. That is alot of fun!

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Thanks for the info guys. Will take the advice at a later date. My son ended up coming down home. We spent the weekend fishing Lake Darling, a small lake 10 miles SW of Washington. We caught several small crappies on our ultralights. Caught a 18″ largemouth and as usual my son top that with a 19″er. I guess he has bragging rights till next time. lol…by the way, I,m a Iowa grad and ran on the track team for 4 years.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.