Steve Vick’s Monster Trout Techniques Revealed!!

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

File this one under “this kinda’ stuff should never happen….” or “there’s no justice in this world.”

So Steve Vick, manager of Everts Reosrt, is “testing” out some new catfish stink bait he intends to sell in his bait shop and is fishing off his dock. He has a couple of different rods out…. one stink bait. Another a big chunk of cutbait.

9 foot cat rod. 30 lb text line. Big stinky chunk of cutbait….

What does Steve catch? Image below!

25+” “fat as all possible” brown trout. From the Mississippi River?! On a stinky chunk of sucker….

So trout guys, what do you think of adding this new technique to your arsenal?!

What a lucky stiff!

Good fishin’,

EFN Webstaff

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Nice fish Steve! I would recommend that you put your shirt on for future snap shots.LOL!!

Great catch.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

The old trout masters of years gone by are turning over in their graves right now. LOL

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

If you see steve.. ask him to tell you the REST of the story…. who’s pole he was using and how he knocked the poor guy down to set the hook….. talk about poor sportsmanship!!! j/k it was a real rush…. it’s cat.. no a sheephe….waite oh cool a dogfish…. holy [censored] it’s a Trout!!!!!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Half a creek chub always works great for big trout. Why not sucker? I’ve caught a few in the Chippewa on twister tails. I think they come out of the creeks when the water is high and the Chippewa is cold. I have never caught one in the Mississippi though. That is a dandy. Steve

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

When I was younger I used to use cut bait all the time for trout. Besides the proverbial chub tail I found that a chub strip worked even better. Fillet the side of a chub and cut a thin strip the length of it. I used to hook it on one end. I don’t use the technique much anymore because it slows you down and if you don’t set the hook fast enough a gut hooked trout to me isn’t releasable. Congrats Steve on one heck of a fish!

JimW
    SE MN

This fish must have come out of Haycreek, felt comfortable enough with the Temps, really liked what he saw in food, then made the mistake of biting on Steve’s hook!

I caught a small brown below the Reno Spillway a few years back. I have heard of Trout caught below the Dresbach dam. IN fact, I have a buddy who swears his father caught a laker below the Dresbach dam early Spring! Yup, I still don;t believe him!!

What did you do with the fish Steve?????

Jim W

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Well considering I wasn’t sure about the trout season being open yet……and I haven’t bought a trout stamp yet……and it was to pretty of a fish to keep anyway, she’s swimming again.

Oh!!!……. and Mr. Unphotogenic (ya you Dustin!)……I’ve seen some of your “mugshots” pal! Be Careful!!!!!hahaha

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Not only Lake Trout and Browns in the Miss., The DNR has surveyed Pink Salmon in pool 5!!!

I should have taken a picture of the Laker, then you’d believe me.

JimW
    SE MN

(sitting in my office laughing out loud)! I was wondering if you if you were going to read that!!!

Trout fishing all weekend, plenty of room on SUnday?????????

bill mitchell

I know this is off the beaten path, but I was fishing the miss. backwaters for cats, using cut sucker. The bait no sooner hit the bottom and the tip was starting to load up. I set the hook and low and behold there was a 27″ eye , skinny as a pencil(hungry as all get out?), hanging on the end of a #3/0 octopus hook. I guess what I am trying to say is that a fish, when presented correctly, will eat anything. We have all heard the storys of cats being caught with boots, and kids toys, balls, etc. in their tummies?!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hey STEVE, super trout, and who said you weren’t versatile, okay, throw in LUCKY. nice job. so are you now doing trout guiding off the Evert’s dock. I know Mavzer was the KEY to figuring out this pattern, way to go Mike ! between the two of you, the Miss.River trout haven’t got a chance. see you soon .

and Steve, I have to tell you, YOU are the only person I have ever heard OF that talks about the Mississippi River in the SMALL STREAM/RIVER DISCUSSION. again way to go. Jack.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

Hey Jack dont’t give me to mcuh credit,,,, I thought he had on a dogfish….. I was praying that he would catch another one… James promised he would “jump in the river” if we would have landed another one.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

there are a few trout caught off pool 5’s fishing float every year.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Steve,

What did you do with that trout? I hear they make some pretty good cutbait themselves….. You may have caught the perfect catfish bait. Oh, I guess that is not quite legal though. They say that trout is some sort of gamefish.

And I thought there were just two kinds of fish?… catfish & bait!

Better luck next time out!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

She’s still swimming out there somewhere. I haven’t caught anymore trout while catfishin……but the cats are really starting to feed!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.