BILL CADWELL

• gillman
    red ming mn

BILL what is your input on the lower cannon for walleyes since they took out the dam at welch. is it worth a try and what location is a good starting point?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have never fished that part of the Cannon River before. Its at the opposite from of the Waterville/Fairbault area. I would suggest calling the DNR as they woild have some info on that area. I will see if I can find some info for you too. I will have some info posted in a few days about the Waterville/Fairbault area on the Cannon River Chain. Other people have been posting reports and I know someone is waiting to post also and we don’t want to bump someones elses report untill its been up for a bit so people can read it. Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have a call in to the DNR to try find you some info but they haven’t returned my call yet. Bill

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Gillman,

I’ve fished the portion of the Cannon River from Cannon Falls to Welch quite extensively and I would say the best place to catch walleyes is at the Miesville Ravine Park. Fish at the juncture of the Cannon and Trout Brook. I’ve caught quite a few ‘eyes there. Good luck!

Mark Ward

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the info mwchiefs. Much appreciated. Got my call from the DNR today. Their electroshocking showed walleyes below the dam at Cannon Falls in decent numbers. The tailwaters below the dam in Northfield are good too. The best areas to fish he said are from the Cannon Falls area to Welch. His suggestion was to get in a canoe and travel that stretch of river fishing the pool areas behind any ripples and to be sure to fish the mouth areas where you see creeks entering the river. These can be very good areas. You will catch walleyes, saugers, and smallies. Hope this helps. Let us know how you do. Thanks, Bill

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Bill, did he mention anything about what else they found while electroshocking? I heard that the reason they did that study was because a reputable guide told them he had spotted sturgeon in that area. From what I’ve been told, they didn’t find any sturgeon, but they did find a decent muskie population. I also know of one person who caught a 44″ muskie in the Randolph stretch of the Cannon. The dummy took it to a taxidermist a week before the season opened last year! OOPS!!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The only fish he mentioned were walleyes, saugers, and smallies. I only asked about walleyes so thats probably why he didn’t mention more fish species. Very interesting that they found muskies. That sounds like quite a good area to fish. Do you fish that area alot? Thanks in advance for any updates you might give all of us if you do fish it. Bill

gillman
    red ming mn

thank you guys i will give it a try later in may and let you all know

thanks gillman

gillman
    red ming mn

that part of the cannon is inland waters right?

or is it fishable now?

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Yes, that is inland waters, not fishable right now.

Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.