2 hours of fun!

• eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

Fished the cedar river today from 2:30-4:30 with an old friend that was in town. Started a drift along a rip rap shore picked up a small pike and my buddy lost a NICE pike approx. 8-10 lbs. Went down to wing dams and boated another pike and a 19” smallie. Got cut off by another! The fish were very active close to shore, we used ringworms, walleydivers,rapals, and beetle-spins (remember them)? Big white one is the one that got cut off. Ofcoarse fought the wind, and even got a little sun-burn but worth it !!!!!

jonb
    Fayette, Iowa

What part of the Cedar were you on?

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

jonb, was fishing south of la porte city , hoping for some eyes, but the pike and bass will do! Do you fish the cedar? if so , where?

Brian Lyons

I have lost more rebel crawdads than I care to admit to pike on that wingdam. I just can’t bring myself to use a steel leader on smallmouth rigs, I’m gonna try fireline on a couple of rods to see how it handles the pike and how much it changes the depth shallow cranks run………..B

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

Big B rebel crawdad is definetly one of my favorites also, and you are right about the leader thing, just cant bring my self to do it! Do you catch alot of bronzies in this area? I just moved here last year, and im ready to learn the river better. pete

jonb
    Fayette, Iowa

I grew up fishing the Cedar in the Osage area, still make it back fairly often to fish there – excellent smallmouth water, I’ve heard the northerns are becoming more common after stocking. I was just curious as to where you got into the northerns.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I use fireline quite a bit on the croix… it helps with pike… but its not invulnerable to being bit off… had about a 10# chomp off a one eye right at the boat this last fall…. but I did land 2 musky and 2 pike…. so 4 out of 5 isnt too bad……. I was using the 14# fireline…. pretty durable…..

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Y’all would be better able to concentrate on the Miss if you moved South a little bit where the Cedar was devoid of any gamefish.

Can you get big boats in near LPC? Mine has a pretty good draft, about 3′, and I’m always leary about taking it in the interior rivers.

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

Gianni- I fish from a 16′ deep ” V ” and dont have any trouble as long as I stay in the channel (still learning that) lol! Getting off the channel is tricky though, just when you think you are in 5-6 ft. BAMM theres the sand bar or a dead head! Im still new to this part of the river, but an old hand to the missy!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve got a friend w/ a 13′ semi-V. Sounds like I need talk him into going. Probably won’t be able to anytime soon, though. By the time I can get out fishing again the cats will be biting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.