Small Stream Pike

• kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

I didn’t realize all the interest in this subject ! Right, now as your reading this, with the water temps. still in the 30’s on most of our streams now, the Pike are in their prespawn patterns and are snapp’n at anything that looks eatable !!

N. Pike are the first of our sport fish to spawn. In our small streams they like to run up into the small feeder creeks in search of slack water, easier pray, and shallow mud flats.

These tendencies makes the fish vulnerable, and we can exploit this ! I walk the banks with a med heavy rod (spin or casting) and 14lb test line, casting big Rapalas, spinners, r-traps, etc. Use some stealth as your walking because the fish are spooky, and especially if you have walk on any rock. They can pickup the fibrations way before you get to the bank.

Living in Eastern Iowa we have lots of tributaries that feed the Miss. Usually I consider it a curse, because of the silt , farm polutants, and water runnoff into the Ol’ Miss. But like the Pike many fish that have the instinct to run upstream to spawn really use them !! Good Luck

Gofish

Kensyl Reading

Ol’ Miss Guide Service

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the information. EFN is growing in every way and area of fishing possible. There are so many ways and bodies of water to fish that it doesn’t matter if its a big lake, big river, small lake, small river, stream, pond or whatever, we all want to fish if we have all day or only a couple of hours. We are all fishing addicts and love it! We all can relate and share and want to learn more and more. Its people and sites like FTR/FTL that help to fill a need in every fishermans heart and mind. We all want to enjoy our passion [fishing] and everyone sharing helps all of us to be able to achieve this goal in our lives. Thanks Everyone

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.