Fly Fishing Beginner Needs Help

• EricNaig
    Cylinder, IA

Cool forum……..I would love to get up into NE IA/SE MN and catch some of those trout. I have heard great things about the stream fisheries.

Over here in NW IA we have “cricks” not streams. LOL

I recently got a 6 weight Fenwick fly rod and reel. I also ordered a weight forward line. I have a friend of mine who is going to teach me how to cast the thing. It will be used (at least to start with) fishing for bluegills and bass in my pond.

My questions are:

1. What are the best kind of tippets/leaders to use and how do you fasten them to the fly line?

2. What type of flies do I use to catch bluegills/bass?

3. Can you direct me to any good resources on this subject (I’m a true beginner with this fly fishing)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric Naig

JimW
    SE MN

Hey Eric, if you are in the area on APril 27th, I will be hosting my Second Annual Trout Day at Forestville State PArk. The event starts at 9:00am. There will be a flyfishing 101 class, given by EFN’s own John Eggers. There will be a spin fishing seminar, fly tying demos, electro-fishing demo given by the DNR and an invertabrate collection and study provided by MInn Aqua. This is a free day with free door prizes for registered attendees.

SE MN trout maps, easement maps, fishing regs will be available for the first 50. There might even be a discounted park pass offered as well! So come one, come all!

Jim W

EricNaig
    Cylinder, IA

Sounds like a great time. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend…….(I’m pre-fishing for a tournament in South Dakota)

Good luck with the event!

Eric Naig

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Hey ERic- I’ve fished all over that area your talking about, but like you can’t get there offfen enough.

Your number 6 is good for your pond fishing, but is a little heavy for “crick” fish’n, but it’s ok. A good Crick rod is about a 4/5 that is short say 66 or 7′ , reason- usually no clearance for laying out line (your usually roll casting if your open) !

A 7.5 length 3x leader is a good alround one for crick trout and smallies.

I like wet flies for our trout, since they are not natural and are pellet fed. Drop a worm or slide the smallest Panther Martin thru a deep hole and be ready !! Good Fishn

Gofish

Kensyl Reading——EFN ProStaff

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

The first objective I have when starting someone on fly-fishing is get a fish on their line.

What I am writing here is akin to training wheels on a bicycle, it’ll get you started.

Eric your 6 weight rod will work well, if it is the type with a weight range like 5 to 6 or 6 to 8, I tell beginners to go with the heavier weight line, double taper will do the job. The reason being, that the line not only carries the fly on the cast, but it is the weight of the line on the back swing that loads the rod. Oh yeah, use a lot of backing before spooling on the main line, the backing creates a larger diameter core so the fly-line rests on the reel in the largest loop possible.

I prefer 8 foot or longer rods for best casting.

3x to 5x tapered leaders will all work well. For beginners and for ease of handling I keep the length of the leader short, no longer than the length of the rod. I trim my leaders at the butt, the thick end, before I tie them to the line. Short leaders won’t give you a delicate presentation, but are easier for beginners and children to handle, besides the waters of Southeast Minnesota and North Iowa are usually colored so a super delicate presentation is not a high factor.

I know that there are some fancy loop type gimmicks out there for attaching the leader and fly-line, I have used them, but I like my leader tight to the fly-line, and I find that a nail knot works best. If your not sure how to tie a nail knot I can e-mail you some diagrams. At the end of the leader I like to tie on about a foot to eighteen inch long tippet. The tippet is a very good quality piece of monofiliment no more than three pound test and tied to the leader using a surgeons knot.

I find that the key to casting is to take your time on the back stroke, give the line time enough to stretch out and start loading the rod before beginning your forward motion.

Work on perfecting short casts, around 20 feet or less, most of your fish will be caught within this range.

I feel that floating flys are the way to go, otherwise why bother with a fly-rod?

For Bluegills and Bass, large moth, cricket and grasshopper patterns, in sizes of #10 to #14 work great.

Shades of gray, tans, browns and black are my favorite colors. Also try chartreuse poppers.

Don’t worry about a delicate presentation with panfish, sometimes it takes a hard splash to attract them.

I hope this info helps, if you would like more, give me a yell and we’ll go out and float some feathers.

John “troutchaser” Eggers.

FTR Pro-Staff

EricNaig
    Cylinder, IA

smtroutchaser:

Thanks for the great, detailed advice. It will be put to good use this spring/summer.

One thing that is confusing to me is tippets/leaders…….You don’t tie directly to the tapered leader?

And, yes I would like the nail-knot instructions. [email protected]

Eric Naig

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Yo Eric, I don’t think the Mn. guys know what our “cricks” really are!

I don’t know why the trout guys make things so complicated, but trout fishing is steeped in history with more famous fishers than, Al Lindner and Bill Dance !

Here’s some simple stuff, I’m sure you’ll get more tech stuff come’n to ya. The “leader” is tapered down to a small dia. end called the “tippet”. While fishing this “leader ,tippet end”, would get damaged as it rolls over rock, etc. or cut back as you change flies. That is why you tie on a length of tippet material so your not changeing out the “leader” which is expensive ! Check out your Fenwick cataloge and you see what I’m talking about. Your tippet can easily be changed as your swiching from trout flies to wooly bugs for bass. Your sequence of knots are: Nail knot (leader to fly line), blood knot (tippet to leader). When you purchased the fly line, instructions with knot diagrams should have been included ! Good Fish’n

Kensyl Reading

EricNaig
    Cylinder, IA

Kensyl:

Right on!!

Looked at the info in Fenwick catalog and in fly-line and backing.

Thanks for the info.

Eric Naig

JimW
    SE MN

kensyl, wow! I have always thought Iowa to be a very “special” place, set apart from all other states, but I guess I didn”t realize your cricks were so unique as well!??LOL

Eric, make sure you get “weight forward” fly line as well. This will assist you in your casting, especially if your using a 6 weight or higher rod. HAve fun with it!!!

Jim W

SPring is almost here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Eric,

Tying to the leader is perfectly fine, but because you’ll most likely be changing flys often, adding a tippet will let you better adjust for various sizes of flys and extend the life of that more expensive tapered leader.

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Ya Der Jim – Eric and I treat Iowa as a holy place !!! I can’t speak for Eric, but I’ve alwas said that I’m a Wisc. person traped in an Iowan’s body – HA !! Later

Gofish

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.