Streaming/casting options for sports?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Just moved into a new house and only signed up for internet. Would really prefer not to get cable/dish, so trying to find the best options to get Vikes and Wild games.

I have Vizio TV’s and tried using Chromecast to mirror the game today from the NFL app, but the NFL doesn’t have chromecast. I haven’t found another good mirror app for iPhone to chromecast.

Anyone have recommendations? I don’t mind paying for some cheaper services to get access via internet. Just don’t want to pay $100/month for cable.

Any

B-man

Hulu Plus will have you covered.

The Vikes will be on local channels (bunny ears and/or Hulu), the Wild on FSN.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I would definitely get an antenna for the local channels

ESPN for Monday Night Football, and obviously FSN for Wild / Twins playoffs but I don’t have much streaming info

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

There was a recent thread on this. Get Hulu plus and you’ll have all the sports and local channels. It’s 40 bucks a month and you can cancel anytime if you don’t like it.

Deuces

There was a recent thread on this. Get Hulu plus and you’ll have all the sports and local channels. It’s 40 bucks a month and you can cancel anytime if you don’t like it.

I went off that recent thread and got Hulu plus live. FW and kids are very happy with it. FW is a big baseball fan. I can’t tell ya much of what’s on it but apparently it’s da bomb.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

We ditched the Satellite 8 months ago and went this route. It is everything we want when it comes to TV. One of the few if not maybe the only streaming service with “cloud storage” for recording shows.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

We have Hulu Plus also. Being only about 1 hour north of St Paul we get all the Twin Cities channels 4, 5, 9, 11 as our locals. Don’t watch football, don’t shot me just don’t enjoy the sport, but get the Twins, Wild and most Gopher hockey games. With FSN, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, a bunch of ESPN’s you should have get most any sports you want.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’d still put an antennae in your attic or something. In case your internet ever goes out or plans change. You’ll have all the local channels HD for free.

Plus, why stream the local channels? Wouldn’t that just take up bandwith if other family members were using other devices? With the limited streaming I have seen, it is good, but not perfectly reliable.

tangler
    Inactive

I had some pretty serious complaints with Hulu Plus when we did a trial last year. Maybe it’s improved now? For us it buffered a LOT. The final straw was when I paused a big game with 5 minutes left to deal with a barfing kid situation, come back to find you lose that paused state the second the program is scheduled to end. Whereas on directv we leave it paused for seemingly hours if we wanted and never lose anything. We also hated the “guide” or lack thereof.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

We use Hulu for the local channels because the FW likes to record some of the network shows to watch later. Hulu Plus has a cloud DVR that can do that.

We had buffering issues also, turned out is was the modem that the internet service provider (ISP) supplied. The ISP updated the modem and we have not had as many issues with that. We do occasionally get buffering but it is much better then before.

Hulu just added a guide within the last two weeks or so. Have not used it very much yet but it is way better than what they had before.

As far as the pause state problem don’t know if that has changed or not.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I agree…..the buffering has more to do with speed than anything else. That’s not a Hulu issue.

After fighting with Comcast, Century Link and Sling I’ve been very happy with Hulu. It’s not perfect but when compared to the price of traditional cable and satellite providers it’s leaps and bounds ahead.

tangler
    Inactive

I agree…..the buffering has more to do with speed than anything else. That’s not a Hulu issue.

After fighting with Comcast, Century Link and Sling I’ve been very happy with Hulu. It’s not perfect but when compared to the price of traditional cable and satellite providers it’s leaps and bounds ahead.

We consistently test around 70mbps and have never had a buffering issue with any streaming content until we tried Hulu Plus. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, on-demand content from Directv, multiple devices at once, no issues period. Hulu Plus was a nightmare for us. We tried it on phones, laptops, ipads, roku stick on the tv, same results. We were early testers, I think they were still in the beta phase. Maybe they have worked some kinks out since then, but it was enough to scare us off at the time.

Are you able to pause and come back 20 minutes later with no issues Matt?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have Hulu+ and do this all the time. I also used to experience the same problem you had, and found if the program is recording it won’t jump once the allotted time is up. Hulu+ is not perfect, but my only regret is not switching earlier.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

I would also recommend YouTube TV. We have had it for 2 months and it was been great. I’ve heard the YouTube TV interface is better than Hulu.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>

I have Hulu+ and do this all the time. I also used to experience the same problem you had, and found if the program is recording it won’t jump once the allotted time is up. Hulu+ is not perfect, but my only regret is not switching earlier.

I think so but honestly I never DVR or pause anything. I’m kind of a tech neophyte when it comes to this stuff. Plus, we just don’t watch a ton of TV so that kinda stuff doesn’t bother me too much. I would agree that Hulu does buffer more than Amazon or Netflix. I have to believe it’s because you need that much more bandwidth to stream live TV.

We’ve had it for a year now I think and I’ve been happy. I actually liked Sling better but their selection of channels was terrible and you don’t get local. An antenna for local never really worked for us – the interference from the planes taking off and landing scrambles our TV.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Thanks all…this has been helpful. I finally have access to high speed internet and purchased a good modem/router to handle it, so was looking to take advantage. Shouldn’t run into band with issues going forward. DVR would be nice, so will likely look at the Hulu w/live TV. Gonna look at youtube to see what’s offered there as well.

Might consider the antenna in the attic as well, need to see how easy of access I have to the TV’s to run all cabling in the new house.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Might consider the antenna in the attic as well, need to see how easy of access I have to the TV’s to run all cabling in the new house.

I’d test out the antenna first, we live in Chaska and bought an HD antenna that could barely get 1 channel. So make sure you check if you are in a bad area for reception like our house.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Reddit.com……you’re welcome. and its free unlike the others mentioned. By the time you pay for hulu, sling or youtube tv, it is as much as buying cable. I cast every game on the planet right to my big screen from my 10 year old Dell desktop. I don’t know why people pay when there are free options. been watching tv with just a $50 internet connection for 4 years now. added up what I had saved……..$4320.00 that there is a lot of jigging raps! gotta go and catch some football now!

B-man

Reddit.com……you’re welcome. and its free unlike the others mentioned. By the time you pay for hulu, sling or youtube tv, it is as much as buying cable. I cast every game on the planet right to my big screen from my 10 year old Dell desktop. I don’t know why people pay when there are free options. been watching tv with just a $50 internet connection for 4 years now. added up what I had saved……..$4320.00 that there is a lot of jigging raps! gotta go and catch some football now!

Does Reddit have all NFL games?

If so I’m getting a cord for my computer )

tangler
    Inactive

Is that even legal?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Every pro game on Reddit streams. It’s just a platform where streamers share their content. You can donate $ if you desire. You don’t need a cord….chromecast receives it wirelessly. Watched both games tonight in perfect HD. Need to know which streamers are “trusted” or you’ll end up with malware and all sorts of issues. I use ad blocker and a VPN. Until net neutrality is taken away it is as legal as picking it up off antenna if you ask me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.