Stray Cat

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Found a stray under our neighbors shed and she is very friendly and affectionate. She actually is following me everywhere.

She is very skinny so we fed her some wet dog food. I am a sucker and I want to take care of her. The problem is how do we acclimate 3 dogs to a strange adult cat? This cat has claws, so the safety of my dogs comes first.

Ice Cap

Should be a shelter in you’re area that will take it unless you just want to keep it around but with three dogs already in the home it might be a tricky situation. We have feral cats in our neighborhood. One has been living under our three season house. I’ve considered shooting it but because we are in city limits discharging a firearm is frowned upon.

you can’t get close to it and it’s too wary to go in a live trap. Animal shelter won’t do anything unless I can catch it and bring it to them. Last thing I need is a bunch of kittens under the three season house.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Get rid of that thing pug. It’s a meaningless stray cat

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We had 2 baby kittens show up at my place 2 weeks ago.
    Long story short im a animal lover and we now have 2 new kittens

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20200711_074332.jpeg

riverruns
    Inactive

We had 2 baby kittens show up at my place 2 weeks ago.
    Long story short im a animal lover and we now have 2 new kittens

Cats are cool. Hard to turn away a stray. What’s the big one in the background?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Cats have a purpose as long as there not mine. Had cats years ago, a really bad experience u with a Siamese cured me of ever having another.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Cats have a purpose as long as there not mine. Had cats years ago, a really bad experience u with a Siamese cured me of ever having another.

As random kittens that showed up mom taught them well. They kill bunnies and mice every day. Its almost amazing. I feed them and they kill everything that kills my garden

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

As random kittens that showed up mom taught them well. They kill bunnies and mice every day. Its almost amazing. I feed them and they kill everything that kills my garden

waytogo that’s the purpose I was referring to waytogo

riverruns
    Inactive

Saiemeis cats are not good. Calico cats the same.

Good old farm cats and a stray will be like a faithful dog.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I agree. waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>riverruns wrote:</div>

I agree. waytogo

Very much so false. The breed of cat is very much more loving and caring then the regular farm cats. I grew up with a best friend who his parents had siam cats. ( originated in Thailand) you could go out side and call for them and they would come before the dogs. Just as any animal you have to make the time and day for them. I assume this wgite one and black are from the same litter so I think its part simese. Already amazing partners in our home for the 2 weeks we’ve had them. The white one comes by his name any where and any time the black one won’t leave my 9yr old sons side.
    Simese cats are known the be a cat of there own. But just like a dog. If you understand and get animals they will understand you and get you back. I have 2 german shepherds that already made these guys a part of our small family

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

She’s probably going to end up at a shelter. I don’t know who would dump a cat this affectionate, unless they found her too needy. There is zero chance this cat ran away and can’t find her way home. But I’m not taking chances with a cat and a full set of claws with our dogs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They’re fine if they stay in the house. Once they enter the country side they’re legal game.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Additional food for thought;
    In the United States, rabies is reported in cats more than in any other domestic species.
    Unvaccinated cats who are allowed to roam outdoors are at the highest risk for rabies infection.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Man, you don’t realize how awesome a job a cat is doing at mouse control until he’s gone. We lost our big cat last year and it’s been a battle with mice ever since.

Pug, the way you teach dog’s to leave cats alone is the same way you teach them anything. Make it really clear to them that the master HATES it when they chase. You can do it, you just can’t be afraid to get tough with them and it takes time.

Grouse

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

I agree. waytogo

Very much so false. The breed of cat is very much more loving and caring then the regular farm cats. I grew up with a best friend who his parents had siam cats. ( originated in Thailand) you could go out side and call for them and they would come before the dogs. Just as any animal you have to make the time and day for them. I assume this wgite one and black are from the same litter so I think its part simese. Already amazing partners in our home for the 2 weeks we’ve had them. The white one comes by his name any where and any time the black one won’t leave my 9yr old sons side.
    Simese cats are known the be a cat of there own. But just like a dog. If you understand and get animals they will understand you and get you back. I have 2 german shepherds that already made these guys a part of our small family

its been ions since we had that siamese cat, and from what i recall it may have been a ok cat and loved attention every time we left for a couple days that effin cat would urine or mark on our bed. we washed more bedding that a hotel does.

the last straw was when that cat did it when we were both in it. flame it told the wife its gone by the time i get home from work, either she takes it to the vet or i’ll do it my way with a chunk of 22 lead!!!!!!!! it was gone when i got home!!!!!!

Bassn Dan

Sounds like a nice cat, and the dogs will probably like having a new friend to play with. Try putting the cat in a pet carrier, etc. to introduce it to the dogs. If that goes well, slowly introduce them from there – maybe one dog in the room at a time to start.

The claws are no big thing. At worst the dogs will maybe get a swipe at their nose “to teach them who’s boss” if they are aggressive with the cat. If they all become friends, cats will just give them a no-claws-out slap when they’re playing. If you’re still that worried about the claws, just use a nail clipper to blunt them slightly.

If you do keep it, you MUST feed it CAT FOOD. Cats that eat exclusively dog food can go blind because dog food doesn’t contain enough taurine – an essential nutrient for cats.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Irresponsible people dumping cats in my neighborhood ,happens often enough. I grew up with cats , notorious for marking . Wife no way no how will we get a cat. I’m in agreement , 2 dogs is plenty of loose hair for everyone .

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Man, you don’t realize how awesome a job a cat is doing at mouse control until he’s gone. We lost our big cat last year and it’s been a battle with mice ever since.

Agree. We live in the country and was the primary reason I agreed to let my kids get a cat.

Ironically, ours was gone for the last two nights. Thought he wasn’t coming back but was at our back door this morning. The kids are super happy

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Unbelievable. You guys remember the loose monkey incident a year or 2 ago that escaped from the hobby farm? Well my wife texts and messengers the lady still. I don’t know why I didn’t think to ask her before, but she responded to a text the wife sent Saturday this morning and we come to find she lost the cat. Thank God. I really didn’t want to have to bring it to a shelter or rescue and wonder about him.

Think of how bad that would be if we brought it to a shelter and a couple months down the road find out she lost the cat.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

This one showed up recently. It drives our dog nuts.

Attachments:
    1. 20200726_124213.jpg

ThunderLund78

We have a neighborhood stray. I only know because we occasionally get notifications/video from our security cams at night. We don’t feed it and never see it during the day but I’m glad it’s around. Keeps the pests out of my garage! Having grown up in the country, I can attest to the top-notch pest control they provide. I’m pretty sure they don’t even eat most of what they kill – at least if it’s getting fed regularly somewhere. But they still do it–they’re just wired to do it and it keeps their skills sharp.

JEREMY
    BP

I had one just the other day try to block a pellet from my air rifle with its forehead. Poor thing. Its a shame my kids cant find its poop in their sandbox anymore.

hartridge

Grouse, Is that the cat that chased deer and if I remember correctly chased a fox down the street? As an individual that has 2 cats, those stories cracked me up. Sorry for the lose..

eyeguy507
    SE MN

They’re fine if they stay in the house. Once they enter the country side they’re legal game.

actually a felony in some states. our cats are mostly indoor but sometimes our male sneaks out. if he was shot or shot at, the S would hit the F round here. kind of weird that you eat cats?????

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

actually a felony in some states. our cats are mostly indoor but sometimes our male sneaks out. if he was shot or shot at, the S would hit the F round here. kind of weird that you eat cats?????

It’s just internet bluster. And unoriginal at that.

Snake ii’s

I had one just the other day try to block a pellet from my air rifle with its forehead. Poor thing. Its a shame my kids cant find its poop in their sandbox anymore.

So – I can shoot the neighbor dogs when they $h!t in my yard?
    That’s awesome! Loading the 44 mag right now…………..

JEREMY
    BP

My lab left our yard one time and the guy up the street hit him with a shovel cause he said it barked at him through the window and he felt threatened. So threatened he came out after him at 10 at night in January. OK. If he had a dog not sure what I would do.

mojogunter

If he had your mentality he would have shot it. Hypocrite

My lab left our yard one time and the guy up the street hit him with a shovel cause he said it barked at him through the window and he felt threatened. So threatened he came out after him at 10 at night in January. OK. If he had a dog not sure what I would do.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Glad to here that you found the cats home.

My neighbor has such a junky house we get mice every fall. I finally gave up and said we could get a cat to help with the problem. I think he is a dud. He only caught one mouse that I know of and that mouse was already dead in a trap that he brought to my bed side. Last fall I was in the basement when I saw a mouse run across the floor. I looked at the cat and he looked at me with a what do you want me to do about it look on his face. My son has tried training him with toys but he won’t chase anything. He must be closely related to Garfield. The only time he moves is when you are passing by his food dish. Then he will run up to his dish and meow at you for food.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.