Story on Cousins contract

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve never been the biggest Cousin’s fan, but Have came around on him a little. I have no problem if they sign him to a new 2 year contract as long as they can get him for a decent price. I just hate to see Him and JJ eat up so much $ that they have nothing left to fix some of their bigger problem areas. I personally don’t see this team getting far even with Cousin’s and JJ. It seem like many feel that is all they need to have a great year next year. I still believe that last year they way over achieved and they are truly close to this years record than last years.

Ripjiggen

“We can agree to disagree. Have fun with the highest paid TE in the league who probably can’t start the season, the highest paid WR in the league, and whatever you think cousins is worth coming off an Achilles.

You brought up the packers, I never said a word about any other team. It’s a convo about the Vikings QB and roster. But “yeah but the packers…” is a pretty well-worn line from Vikings fans trying to make themselves feel better.”

I am cool with the highest paid tight end when he performs like the top tier TE. Also cool with JJ being the highest paid WR when he is the top 1 or 2 in the league.
    As others already called you out on I gave comparisons to every team in the division.
    I know I know packer fans hate when you point out fact about the team that they may forget about.
    Hey I get it you are on cloud 9 with Buddy Love right now.
    I think he at least gets Daniel Jones money, but I guess we will see.

You said you were a rival fan. If you are a Bears fan, then not sure you can say to much about the Vikes.
    They may be on the QB carousel again.

If you are a kitties fan then well good job winning the division for the first time since 91. Building a nice squad, but don’t forget Goff has one more year left. Doubt he goes into the season next year on a one year deal. Amon will need to get paid as well.

Anywho I was laying out the scenarios of the Vikings, mostly with Cousins which I thought was the point of this thread.

In a salary cap league you can find holes flaws of every team. The north is no different.

And as Werm stated there are several scenarios that could happen and they all have different outcomes.
    Should be an interesting off season.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3Rivers wrote:</div>
    I’m guessing there’s only a short list of teams that he would consider.

Love Kirk, but guessing there is only a short list of teams that would consider paying him market value at this point also.

They are estimating Kirk getting $50 mill/year if he hits the open market. There are at least 5 teams that would pay top dollar to have Kirk. I think that’s pretty much a given if he makes it to the market. Doesn’t matter if there’s only a few. What matters is that they are out there willing to pay it.

Ripjiggen

I think there are other factors for Kirk at this point in his career than taking the highest paid bidder, but agree there are several teams that would pony up.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think there are other factors for Kirk at this point in his career than taking the highest paid bidder, but agree there are several teams that would pony up.

I’m hoping that too. He’s saying all the right things in that regard at the moment. Big question is what does that “hometown discount” look like to Kirk. $45 million? $40? $35?

Ripjiggen

Oh I am not even saying a hometown discount necessarily but I think who and where he plays for is more important than take the highest bid.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If I’m Kirk and his agent my hometown discount is the Wilfs will get the last chance to match the highest offer.

I would not touch McCarthy with a 10′ pole.

Many here (yes there were many) who thought Bridgewater was a franchise quarterback. He never would have been, with or without the injury. He was a nice quarterback that made some money playing football but he was never franchise material.

It’s easy to pound a keyboard to get a franchise quarterback but it’s hard as hell to get a real one.

Ripjiggen

^^^agent yes. Not sure on Kirk. Frankly don’t care about total compensation it is all about the Cap compensation that should matter. This year he was 7th in cap hit. 300k from being 11th. 10th in total compensation. Seems about right to me if he didn’t have a freak injury anyway.
    Only time will tell.

duh queen

The best QB in the league may mean little if playing behind a O-line as porous as the Vikes. There are 3 can’t miss tackles available this year. Surely at least one of them
    will still be there for the 11th pick.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The best QB in the league may mean little if playing behind a O-line as porous as the Vikes. There are 3 can’t miss tackles available this year. Surely at least one of them

They aren’t going to draft a tackle. You have two very good tackles. They need interior linemen.

Gitchi Gummi

You got a link to that dnr study? You went pretty quiet in that other thread.
    People are going to start calling you turtle

lol

CaptainMusky

They aren’t going to draft a tackle. You have two very good tackles. They need interior linemen.

The only thing about the one tackle is they have said he would be best suited at Guard in the NFL. I agree they still shouldnt take one in the first round though.

big_g
    Isle, MN

There are 2 glaring issues and 1 of them will need to be addressed with this draft. Either we shore up the O-Line that can protect the pocket or we get a QB who is mobile and doesn’t need the pocket. Pick your poison.

riverbassman

Packer fan here snooping around. As the Packers showed, drafting a QB and letting them sit (2 times now) behind a established Vet has worked. I cant see the Queens moving on from Cousins so you might as well get him and then draft his replacement. I’m not a GM, but the situation you are in almost makes this a have to happen scenario.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Packer fan here snooping around. As the Packers showed, drafting a QB and letting them sit (2 times now) behind a established Vet has worked. I cant see the Queens moving on from Cousins so you might as well get him and then draft his replacement. I’m not a GM, but the situation you are in almost makes this a have to happen scenario.

I think you’re right here, but the problem the Vikings have is that they have bigger needs right now. D line, and cornerback. As this team has shown over the last few years, doesn’t matter how great your offense is if they have to score 35 to win every game.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Another guy I would like to see in purple would be Jordan Travis out of Florida State. Given his leg injury that ended his season, he will likely fall to the second or third round, even though many were projecting him to go in the first before his injury. That could be a great scenario that would give him a couple years with an NFL level medical staff to make sure he rehabs fully, and is able to learn behind Kirk for a couple years with no real pressure to perform. Would also allow us to go DL/CB in the first and possibly second round as well.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Don’t know much about him but if he’s got a chance, that’s not a bad idea.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.