Story on Cousins contract

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

EAGAN, Minn. — In the spring of 2017, Bruce Allen, then the president of the Washington Redskins, flew to Michigan for a dinner. Seated with him at the table was his team’s quarterback, Kirk Cousins, and Kirk’s father, Don.

They had discussed contracts before. A year earlier, following Cousins’ first season as a starter, a season in which Cousins threw for 4,166 yards and 29 touchdowns, Allen submitted an offer that did not provide Cousins peace.

“I’m going to bet on myself and trust the Lord is going to direct my steps,” Cousins told his father.

So in 2016, he played on the franchise tag, threw for nearly 5,000 yards and 25 touchdowns and was named to his first Pro Bowl. The performance placed him back at the bargaining table, which led to this dinner in Michigan.

In August, Don Cousins recalled the sequence of events that played out at the table.

“I’ve got the contract right here in my briefcase,” Allen said. “You can sign it.”

“What’s the offer?” Kirk asked.

Allen explained the figures.

“I don’t feel good about that,” Kirk ultimately responded. “I’m just going to take my chances.”

Washington franchise-tagged him again. And again, Cousins notched more than 4,000 yards and 27 touchdowns. Free agency arrived. The Minnesota Vikings offered Cousins a three-year, $84 million fully guaranteed contract, and Cousins accepted.

“He liked Washington,” Don said. “He would’ve stayed in Washington. He loved living there. He’s a history guy. Loved the vibe of the whole city. But he wasn’t going to play and be undervalued if you will. The time came, and he got a better offer elsewhere.”

If the Vikings are serious about bringing Cousins back, they must focus on putting him at peace, making sure he feels valued before he enters a market in which he will almost certainly have suitors.

Speaking Monday afternoon at the TCO Performance Center, while longtime teammates cleaned out their lockers, Cousins even referred to this. He had been asked about the idea of a “hometown discount” to stay in Minnesota. “God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams,” he said, “so at this stage of my career, the dollars are not what it’s about.”

Then he hearkened back to something a former coach told him nearly a decade ago.

“’Kirk, it’s not about the dollars,’” the coach told him. “’But it’s about what the dollars represent.’”

“I thought that was an interesting comment,” Cousins said Monday. “There will always be (something) to that.”

Cousins, who will turn 36 in August, does not feel as if he needs to sell himself. His play? He’ll let the 145 starts he’s put on tape do that job. His torn Achilles? He says it’s on track to heal. Why try to convince the builders of football teams that a quarterback who has mastered multiple systems, won 76 games and competed in the playoffs is worth paying?

“I like to let people make their own decisions,” Cousins said. “I do think the league needs quarterbacks. And if you’re trying to talk yourself out of a quarterback, then I can’t help you much.”

Minnesota’s looming decision — whether to re-sign Cousins and, if so, for how much — has plenty of layers. One of them involves Cousins’ current contract. Last offseason, the Vikings restructured Cousins’ deal for salary cap relief in 2023. As a result, Minnesota increased Cousins’ dead-cap hit to around $28.5 million in the event his contract voids in March.

Put simply, unless the Vikings can extend Cousins before his contract voids, or unless they can agree to an extension on the dead-cap money, Cousins will tax the books regardless. (Note: Any extension that pushes back the dead money would just be kicking the can further down the road.)

Another layer relates to the Vikings brass. General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, who said last spring that Cousins meets the necessary threshold to win in the NFL, and coach Kevin O’Connell, whose offensive scheme requires a quarterback of Cousins’ aptitude, are entering their third seasons. Even though both have talked about the benefits of a rookie QB contract in terms of piecing together an entire roster and the fact that the team may pursue a young QB in the draft, it feels fair to wonder how keen they’d be on potentially taking a step back at the position.

In the last two years, specifically, O’Connell has not been shy in his praise for Cousins.

“You guys know how I feel about Kirk,” he said following Cousins’ injury. “Kirk knows how I feel. I think he was playing as well as anybody in the National Football League.”

Ownership’s perspective matters, too. Has one playoff win in five seasons with Cousins at the helm made them think the team should move on? Could nine weeks of watching Josh Dobbs, Jaren Hall and Nick Mullens have altered that opinion? The answers to those questions likely come with a major caveat. Maybe, depending on what the financials look like.

What amount represents fair value for Cousins? New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones received a contract that included a $40 million average annual value. New Orleans Saints quarterback Derek Carr got a deal with an AAV of $37.5 million. Cousins has accomplished more than both, which is why teams like the Atlanta Falcons or Pittsburgh Steelers might be willing to pony up.

In the end, Minnesota will have the first crack at the quarterback who has evolved from quirky to beloved over the last few years. Teammates and captains like Justin Jefferson and Brian O’Neill have been effusive in their praise.

“I would just love for an opportunity to play with him again,” O’Neill said Monday.

It’s possible, if not probable. So long as the Vikings do what Washington didn’t and value Cousins in a way that leaves zero doubt.

If you get the Athletic the comments section is worth it’s weight in gold on this one.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I hope Cousins never wears purple again.
    NOW is the time to draft a QB.

dirtywater

As a rival fan, please sign him. Pay him all the guaranteed money. Only thing better for the rest of the division longterm would be for MN to spend on Russ. Kirk is very good. But it takes a combo of depth, skill, and youth at a bunch of other positions to win and the Vikings don’t have that right now. But KOC and Kwesi will be feeling the pressure in year 3 and I’d wager they find a way to keep Kirk.

Ripjiggen

They have plenty of youth. Corners have all been reshuffled Hicks, Hunter, Phillips and Smith are all likely gone.
    Leaving there defense with the oldest starter at 25/26.
    WR1 and WR2 are 24 and younger.
    Thats why I think they keep going younger in the draft on defense.
    D line most likely.
    Packers average age is 25.
    Vikings 25.9.
    So less than a year.
    Bears and lions 25.7

Now can the GM find replacements for those older defenders. That remains to be seen. He has however shed age/veterans since he took over. He hit on replacing their oldest WR last year and probably found their replacement at linebacker.
    Now if they go QB in the first round they most likely become the youngest team in the division. Since so many packers fans seem to think that is a huge deal.
    Even though the youngest 3 teams the last 3 years were Jacksonville, Jets and Cleveland. Not exactly super stalwarts since.

dirtywater

They have plenty of youth.

How’s the depth? None at RB. Not much at TE. After Addison the WR room is a mess and JJ is gonna cost a fortune. The secondary is weak. The d-line is thin. Just way too many positions of need to justify spending a huge bag on QB. I hope they do though!

Ripjiggen

A mess in WR room hardly. Don’t need that much when you have two possible pro bowlers. One of which who has broken just about every record since coming into the league. Who has depth at TE? You can easily find RB’s in just about any round of the draft.

Don’t forget Love is not going to play for free moving forward.

Don’t think there is a team in the North that is a complete team.
    Detroit may the most but also have a decision on a QB in the distant future.

The Bears? Well they may be on the QB carousel again.

tswoboda

Just get it over with and give him the Ohtani contact already. That should provide him peace

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

A mess in WR room hardly. Don’t need that much when you have two possible pro bowlers. One of which who has broken just about every record since coming into the league. Who has depth at TE? You can easily find RB’s in just about any round of the draft.

x2 exactly

JJ is the best and addison is WR1 material, they’re set there. RB’s are a dime a dozen. TE depth not an issue. I’m not saying the vikes are superbowl contenders next year, but on the other hand they’re not in dire straights. Give Kirko two more years.

Pitter patter

Draft and start trying to develop a rookie qb and use cousins money elsewhere. He deserves a big pay check just shouldn’t get it from Minnesota

Hoyt4
    NULL

Give him two more years

Gitchi Gummi

I’m curious where this source is getting these “quotes” from that are from ~7 years ago and their accuracy and validity. Heck, I can’t even remember what I ate for dinner a couple days ago, let alone direct quotes from 7 years ago.

CaptainMusky

Gitchi, I am sure that story was done at that time and then those quotes were repurposed here. Its also entirely possible that people vividly remember things when its a life changing decision like that. I mean, I literally remember like everything that went on at my wedding day and the birth of my kids. Likely Kirk remembers the same too for this.

dirtywater

We can agree to disagree. Have fun with the highest paid TE in the league who probably can’t start the season, the highest paid WR in the league, and whatever you think cousins is worth coming off an Achilles.

You brought up the packers, I never said a word about any other team. It’s a convo about the Vikings QB and roster. But “yeah but the packers…” is a pretty well-worn line from Vikings fans trying to make themselves feel better.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You brought up the packers, I never said a word about any other team. It’s a convo about the Vikings QB and roster. But “yeah but the packers…” is a pretty well-worn line from Vikings fans trying to make themselves feel better.

He also brought up the Lions and the Bears too. He’s trying to compare each team to the rest of the division.

CaptainMusky

He also brought up the Lions and the Bears too. He’s trying to compare each team to the rest of the division.

Yeah, I thought that was a strange flex by DirtyWater there too to call him out since he was just comparing teams/situations.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The problem hasn’t been Cousins. The problem has been inept GM’s only hitting on one draft pick a season. If they miss in the draft again this season this regime is done. Doesn’t matter who the qb is.

I don’t know about you guys but I sure as hell don’t trust Kwesi to draft a franchise qb. Especially for a franchise that has never successfully drafted a good qb.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I was initially encouraged about Kwesi, but I have cooled off on him a lot since. Hopefully this year’s draft is a LOT better. His first draft looks terrible. This past year’s is a bit better, but still not great. Maybe these guys will develop, who knows.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

doah isn’t it more then just the GM making draft decisions??

CaptainMusky

isn’t it more then just the GM making draft decisions??

Well I am sure its a collective effort, but I am quite sure that the GM is the ultimate decider. The only time I ever remember a pro team letting someone other than the GM have free reign on a draft was the Wild when BG just got hired he let the scouts roll with it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For those saying that they should not spend another dime on Cousins, are you “OK” with not being a playoff contender for what is likely a few years minimum? Did you like the QB rotation you’ve seen for the back half of the season in Minnesota? Are you thinking they should just draft a first round QB and plug them in starting this summer, and do you think JJ will stick around then too?

I’m curious to hear more takes from the MN Sports Fan perspective. If it was my favorite team, I’d want Cousins back as he’s the most logical path to the playoffs. Jumping on the QB carousel is a rough ride, and even rougher when you’re coming off multiple seasons of having a top 10 qb in the league and a pretty potent offense.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

For those saying that they should not spend another dime on Cousins, are you “OK” with not being a playoff contender for what is likely a few years minimum?

I look at Cousins impact 3 possible ways, 1 you let him walk and plan on a full rebuild. That likely does not include KOC, Kwesi or JJ and like you state is going to be some rough seasons in the immediate future. 2 They resign Cousins to a 2 year deal at max money, sign a rookie QB to learn behind him. Couple competitive seasons, then TBD on the young QB, hopefully he’s good to great and you get a couple seasons on his rookie contract (this is the best option imo). 3 sign Kirk to a longer deal around 4 years at a more team friendly amount, and he’s the guy. All draft capital is spent surrounding him with better talent, and the QB situation is addressed at a later date 2-3 years down the road. Since Kwesi/KOC were brought in for a “competitive” rebuild, I really only see option 2 & 3 as likely happening.

3Rivers

Make no mistake, Kirk has his spot all picked out for that SB trophy (he showed it to the whole world). Getting that trophy will be high on his priority list. He’s a legacy type of guy and will certainly take less money for a shot at filling that empty spot in his trophy room. He’s not dumb, he knows he only has a few more years to make it happen. I’m guessing there’s only a short list of teams that he would consider.

Personally, I think he is the best short term option for the Vikings, but this team is very close to a major reset and having to start all over again. Should be an interesting offseason.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Werm I think you hit the nail on the head with the likely outcomes moving forward. This will ABSOLUTELY be a make it or break it draft for Kwesi. If this one looks like his first draft, I don’t see the Wilfs having the patience they did with Rick. Last year’s draft looks at least OK, so he needs to continue restocking the cupboards, otherwise there won’t be any “competitive” in the rebuild.

Even though he didn’t exactly dazzle last night, a guy like McCarthy would be a great QB IMO to sit behind Kirk for a couple years.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    For those saying that they should not spend another dime on Cousins, are you “OK” with not being a playoff contender for what is likely a few years minimum?

I look at Cousins impact 3 possible ways, 1 you let him walk and plan on a full rebuild. That likely does not include KOC, Kwesi or JJ and like you state is going to be some rough seasons in the immediate future. 2 They resign Cousins to a 2 year deal at max money, sign a rookie QB to learn behind him. Couple competitive seasons, then TBD on the young QB, hopefully he’s good to great and you get a couple seasons on his rookie contract (this is the best option imo). 3 sign Kirk to a longer deal around 4 years at a more team friendly amount, and he’s the guy. All draft capital is spent surrounding him with better talent, and the QB situation is addressed at a later date 2-3 years down the road. Since Kwesi/KOC were brought in for a “competitive” rebuild, I really only see option 2 & 3 as likely happening.

As someone who isn’t a Vikings fan, I think you nailed it.

Option 1 you mentioned is a huge unknown and could easily send the Vikings plummeting into the group of the Commanders, Panthers, Cardinals, and so on for a long time.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Even though he didn’t exactly dazzle last night, a guy like McCarthy would be a great QB IMO to sit behind Kirk for a couple years.

Agree.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m guessing there’s only a short list of teams that he would consider.

Love Kirk, but guessing there is only a short list of teams that would consider paying him market value at this point also.

CaptainMusky

McCarthy is tiny. I havent seen anything from him that would sway me to want him as a future QB.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I wouldn’t mind a gamble on Penix, he might just fall to us since he did not look real good from what I heard of the game last night. His prior injury record is a little bit of a wildcard though.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Penix’s game last night probably hurt his draft stock a bit. I don’t think he’s going in the top 10. I think he will last until the middle or end of round 1.

He was under pressure and showed he’s tough as nails, but he missed some wide open crossers in key spots and held the ball in others where there was obvious pressure coming. It seems like his “clock” in the pocket will need a major adjustment if he’s going to stay upright or healthy at the next level. When he has time and protection he can really sling it into tight windows and throws a very catchable deep ball. The NFL pass rush is a different animal though.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I wouldn’t mind a gamble on Penix, he might just fall to us since he did not look real good from what I heard of the game last night. His prior injury record is a little bit of a wildcard though.

I’ve watched a few of his games this season. He just does not look to me like a QB who will excel in the NFL. I’ve been wrong before and may be wrong on this. I personally would not use a first round pick on him. Maybe I just caught a few of the games where he had a off game. He did not impress me last night. Then again a championship game is a tough place to look your best

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.