Storing my new RTIC cooler

• Nick Schmitz

Bought a new RTIC cooler this summer for a family vacation. It worked great and kept things cold for longer than expected. Now I’m wondering how to store it for the winter. Do I leave the lid propped open to keep the seal in good shape? Or just leave the drain plugs loose? What do you guys do with your expensive coolers?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m poor i can’t afford those fancy coolers.

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

I just close the lid and leave the drain plug sitting inside the cooler.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Not to be a smart a**, but why not contact the manufacturer?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

wrap it in bubble wrap…..I’ll be a smart a$$

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I use my Yeti year round. Keeps stuff from freezing in the winter on the way to the cabin.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I use my Yeti year round. Keeps stuff from freezing in the winter on the way to the cabin.

That’s actually a thing in MN and a good point. I’ve used coolers in the winter to prevent stuff from getting too cold.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have the opposite problem. I’m super rich and only use Yeti’s. I hire a service to rotate my coolers and keep them in tip-top shape. 12 hours under UV lights, 12 hours in dry and dark conditions. They even lube the zippers on my soft sided coolers to maintain proper “seal”. They also come over and pre-chill my coolers before trips. Without proper care and preparation what’s the point in spending all the money on these coolers? Like my rich friends always say, “What, are we gonna use Coleman’s?” (rich laugh)

Dave maze
    Isanti

Says the guy in a new glass Lund…

I keep the lid propped to keep the seal from forming a memory, and to keep it from getting stanky.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have the opposite problem. I’m super rich and only use Yeti’s.

Story I heard was you consider them to be one time use, disposable coolers, no maintenance needed.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Story I heard was you consider them to be one time use, disposable coolers, no maintenance needed.
    [/quote]

Exactly – you get it. Kinda like a Ziploc bag, use it and throw it away.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I get all my yetis from moen’s alley on Monday mornings. I’ll never use another Coleman.

I’m not rich so I gotta make them last. I typically just add a little stabil when putting up for the winter.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

“What, are we gonna use Coleman’s?” (rich laugh)

I read this and laugh, but am not rich…so its more of a child’s giggle )

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Says the guy in a new glass Lund…

In his defense, it WAS a used rig,,,,,,,,,

HRG

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use my cooler all winter. It’s a grizzly but same thing. Put beer in it in the box of truck all day ice fishing with no ice stays nice and cold and doesn’t freeze. But other then that I use and abuse mine. It has a lifetime warranty for a reason. At least the grizzly does. I know yeti doesn’t have that. But if it’s not being used for a while leave shut and take plug out

riverruns
    Inactive

I thought about getting one of these coolers, wondering, are they heavy? Thanks.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I thought about getting one of these coolers, wondering, are they heavy? Thanks.

They are REALLY heavy.
    I thought about buying a Yeti but didn’t want to own something that needed another insurance policy in case it is stolen. whistling

Deleted

I leave the yeti in the basement with the lid open.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i have a Coleman and an Igloo. every time i walk by i give them a good kick because i’m so pissed about the fact that they only keep stuff cold for 2 days before i have to…change the ice.

i get it, when you have something expensive you want to take good care of it. but this thread is possibly the all time grand prize winner for 1st World Problems.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

i have a Coleman and an Igloo. every time i walk by i give them a good kick because i’m so pissed about the fact that they only keep stuff cold for 2 days before i have to…change the ice.

i get it, when you have something expensive you want to take good care of it. but this thread is possibly the all time grand prize winner for 1st World Problems.

I think we should all band together and start a gofundme account to get you a Yeti. Going through life with a Coleman is no way to live!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael C. Winther wrote:</div>

I think we should all band together and start a gofundme account to get you a Yeti. Going through life with a Coleman is no way to live!

Matt cover me for a $20 on that cooler will ya. I’ll pay you in 25 years after I pay the boat off.

404 ERROR
    MN

I just close it without latching it and keep the drain plug inside…Why worry if the seal creates a memory when they’re a pressure fit? I don’t see a single way the seal could ever deform enough to stop working properly. If anything, the latches themselves will stretch over time if being stored latched.

blackbay

Do you leave your fridge or freezer doors open so the seal doesn’t form a memory?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael C. Winther wrote:</div>

Matt cover me for a $20 on that cooler will ya. I’ll pay you in 25 years after I pay the boat off.

I gotcha, Dutch. With compounding interest at the low rate of 23.99% you’ll owe me about $7 million dollars in 25 years.

404 ERROR
    MN

Do you leave your fridge or freezer doors open so the seal doesn’t form a memory?

I always leave my freezer door open. The memory is something I don’t want to deal with 25 years down the road. Some of the food frosts up fast, but it’s worth the hassle…

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Cooler seal is under compression when the lid/door is closed and latched.

The seal on a fridge or freezer door, has a magnet imbedded inside the seal and does not depend upon compression to make the seal.

Over time, a compression seal, will lose it effectiveness if stored in a compressed state.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just dry my coolers out completely and leave the lids propped slightly open using a small block of wood.

Yes, the hard sided version of the RTIC coolers and all other brands of roto coolers are heavy. More insulation = more weight.

If you want great performance and lower weight, get the soft-side coolers by RTIC. I just got the biggest one they offer and it’s awesome. I filled it up with drinks and ice and took it to Canada as our in-boat cooler this year. It sat in the boat in the sun and I didn’t have to add ice until day 3.

Just do your self a favor and get a light color. No idea WHY anyone would by a cooler that’s a dark color. May as well try to keep your drinks cold by putting them on top of a solar panel.

Grouse

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Just do your self a favor and get a light color. No idea WHY anyone would by a cooler that’s a dark color. May as well try to keep your drinks cold by putting them on top of a solar panel.

Grouse

[/quote]

FG–I always wondered why a company that makes coolers would make a black,dark green, or any dark colored cooler. Apparently someone in marketing has an ice business. whistling

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I store it sealed. I like an excuse to buy a brand new status symbol. Leaving moisture in the cooler helps too. There’s cool and then there is I use my previous Yeti that stinks as a bait cooler cool. Pun intended!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I store it sealed. I like an excuse to buy a brand new status symbol. Leaving moisture in the cooler helps too. There’s cool and then there is I use my previous Yeti that stinks as a bait cooler cool. Pun intended!

I consider my Yeti hopper a giant man purse. I carry it all over town as a status symbol.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.